Isaac Wilson’s future at Utah

Viewing 3 reply threads

ProudUte
      Ute Fan
      @proudute

I had my doubts about Wilson prior to this season. He is a bit smaller and I was concerned he may only be highly ranked because of his brother.

I have watched him play many times and he has a very strong arm and he is a baller. He will run and is not afraid to take a hit. He led his team to 42 points against the 2nd ranked HS football team in the nation. He is among the nation’s leaders in passing yards and TDs.

He appears to have a stronger arm than anyone on our current roster (not sure about Rose). You add to that – he gives his all on every play much like Travis Wilson did. This kid is smart, talented and he has a winning mentality. I am no QB whisperer and certainly don’t know what his future will be. However, I think (from what I have seen) he could be a great Utah QB.

He likely will not be participating in spring ball because of a pending knee surgery. This will make it unlikely for him to be the starter next season. But, I would not be surprised to see him be our starter in 2025.

8 1

2008 National Champ
      Ute Fan
      @cptmrgn05

Depends on the surgery. Minor “cleanup” or small tears, especially if they are to the meniscus you can be back in a couple of weeks.

Based on what we’ve seen in 2023 so far, I wouldn’t count anyone out from being able to start next year, no matter when they showed up. I haven’t seen anything that would make me think anyone currently on the roster has the inside track to 2024 QB1.

6 2

chinngiskhaan
        Ute Fan
        @chinngiskhaan

If Rose or Howard had “it” they would have played by now IMO.

Utah
          Ute Fan
          @utah

I mean…Rose was our backup before he lacerated his liver…

2 6

chinngiskhaan
            Ute Fan
            @chinngiskhaan

and? It took him a while to separate himself from a rather pathetic pack of QBs. Obviously, we don’t know how he compares to the others because we haven’t seen him play in an actual game. He’s been healthy for weeks now. If he was head and shoulders better than Nate, I think the coaches would have done everything they could to get him up to speed at this point. We can’t get much worse than 1 score per game, so I believe they would have tried to play him by now if they thought he was the answer.

If he plays against Cal I will amend my statement as necessary.

mfaulk80
              Ute Fan
              @mfaulk80

First, did it really take him that long? 2 weeks into spring ball??

Second, I think you severely overestimate how much time they have to prep players mid-season. Especially a player that needs to understand all of the nuances of the playbook. I’m not saying Rose is Him, but I also don’t think we know enough to be calling him out.

1 5

Roy Rangum
              Ute Fan
              @royrangum

I’m with chinngiskhaan on this one. Rose has been with the program long enough that it he was truly that much better, there should have been more separation between rose and Johnson before fall camp even began. Rose is unlikely to be the answer in my mind.

mfaulk80
                Ute Fan
                @mfaulk80

How do you know how much separation there was before his injury? Honestly, they barely completed against each other. Fall camp of freshman season…reps all going to Cam and Bryson. One week of spring before Nate got injured, then one week of fall before Rose got injured. There wasn’t a lot of head to head competition. And Brandon was declared clear 2nd string after spring. From what I understand, he has the best arm on the team. Offense install happens in fall, and he got injured just as that got going. I think evaluating his future is impossible given the lack of media access.. unless you have insider info.

2008 National Champ
          Ute Fan
          @cptmrgn05

Perhaps. Coaches have made wrong decisions before, even at Utah. Sometimes if the decision is close, the coach’s will lean towards experience or an intangible that they believe favors one over another.

A QB example would be at USC in 2016. Helton gave Max Browne the job over Sam Darnold because he had more experience and less perceived risk. Three games of ineffective play before admitting the mistake and Darnold led them to a couple of NY6 bowls.

A Utah example, different position: Chayden Johnston started the 2017 season as the FG kicker until he missed badly on his first attempt. Matt Gay took over and is still doing so professionally.

The moral is that the coaches aren’t infallible. Practice can only show you so much. Jordan Wilmore was apparently a practice all-star because he kept getting ops for two seasons. He didn’t quite meet those expectations in the games and is now on his 4th(?) school.

mfaulk80
        Ute Fan
        @mfaulk80

From what I understand, his next surgery is large enough that he’ll definitely miss Spring, and that will likely set him behind enough that starting next year would be very unlikely.

2008 National Champ
          Ute Fan
          @cptmrgn05

Interesting that he’s still playing then. Docs must think that he can’t make it worse so it doesn’t sound like it will be a major surgery.

He’s got his spot locked and nothing else to prove at the High School level. If his goal is to be Utah’s starting QB as soon as possible, why not shut it down now and move the timeline up? A HS championship is great but.,, his initial plan was to enroll first of the year. Not being available for spring ball doesn’t really fit that plan.

mfaulk80
            Ute Fan
            @mfaulk80

I heard that Utah wanted him to shut it down, but Isaac wants to finish what he started this year. Honestly, that’s kind of what you want in a QB. As an outsider and many many years his senior, it’s easy to say that he should get the surgery now….but I know 17 year old me probably would see things differently.

2008 National Champ
              Ute Fan
              @cptmrgn05

It’s definitely his decision and I won’t fault it either way. 17 year-olds are notorious for not being able to look past the immediate to see the big picture.

The best opportunity any QB recruit at Utah will have to start immediately is in 2024. At least until there is another year with an outgoing multiple year starter and no direct succession plan. Anything he does to delay his ability to compete for that is putting his goal of getting to the league on the backburner. Unless Johnson flips a switch and proves over the rest of the year that he is the man to beat, the competition shapes us as: Johnson with all of his current warts, Rose who hasn’t had a game rep since HS 2021, Howard who hasn’t had a game rep since HS 2022, and whatever Barnes brings to the table.

Who can say where Wilson would slot in if he’s not able to go in time for 2024? The expectation would be that one of the above 4 or a transfer would take control of the room. But I’m just noodling here and can’t tell you who is going to start in 10 days, let alone 11 months.

1 6

Caliman
      Ute Fan
      @elguapoute

Utah most certainly will go to the transfer portal to find an experienced QB. Barnes is transferring out for the 2024 season. There isn’t anyone else good enough left to be the starter next year. Rose is not much better than NJ. If Utah goes with what they have currently in the QB room in 2024, it’s going to be a rough B12 year.

mfaulk80
      Ute Fan
      @mfaulk80

As to his potential….he’s impressive. I was most impressed with how he excelled under pressure. When you make the opposing team pay for applying pressure, it really opens things up. It’s one of Cam’s greatest strengths. According to PFF, he really kills it under pressure. Bryson and Nate obviously struggle in that area….

Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Isaac Wilson’s future at Utah