Jay Hill > Morgan Scalley, my armchair opinion.

Viewing 5 reply threads

Ute Dub
      Ute Fan
      @chestercopperpot

https://mobile.twitter.com/weberstatefb/status/1568784464775647232

When Whitt retires, Hill can replace Whitt and Scalley can replace Hill. 

4 1

Italy88
      Ute Fan
      @itacoatiara22

Overreaction.

UteThunder
      Ute Fan
      @utethunder

I don’t know who would make the better replacement for Whittingham when he retires, but Hill was Whit’s first choice to replace Sitake as DC when he left for Provo. It was only after Hill turned him down that Whit offered the job to Scalley. 

ProudUte
        Ute Fan
        @proudute

Scalley was still young.  Actually, they gave the D coordinator job to coach Pease and Morgan took the special teams for a year.

Jay Hill is a great man and good coach for his level.  However, I think he has been gone too long from P5 coaching to be ready to step in.  I would prefer Scalley.  But, that is just one man’s opinion.  I assume that Harding will be in the mix too.  I think they will do a national search.

2008 National Champ
          Ute Fan
          @cptmrgn05

doing a national search would be the least Utah thing ever, especially with Whitt staying on in an advisory capacity. The only reason for a national search would be if the school wanted to completely distance themselves from the Whitt years which I can’t fathom happening.

RedUte14
      Ute Fan
      @redute14

Was told second hand he likes Weber state and that it is low profile. He wants to stay at Weber. It’s a good fit for him.

4 1

pedro
      Ute Fan
      @pedro

I really don’t get the hate on MS.  His numbers are identical to what KW had while the DC.  Jay is a great man who has done a good job at Weber State.  But time and again he fails when it matters most.  He is the Ronnie Mac of Weber football.  I love him but do not want him coaching our boys.

chinngiskhaan
      Ute Fan
      @chinngiskhaan

Why are people hating on Scalley now??? No, the defense wasn’t great against Florida, they started off weak this year just like they did last year, but I don’t think that is Scalley’s fault.

Honestly I think (wild guess tbh) it has something to do with how we run fall camp now. It seems like the #1 priority is to get out of camp without major injuries.

PlainsUte
        Ute Fan
        @plainsute

They had all summer to plan how to attack Florida.  Even on this board we talked about putting a spy on Richardson every play, yet that didn’t happen, and it allowed Richardson to hurt the Utes.  Granted there are only 11 defenders on the field at a time so it might have cost elsewhere, but still…

pedro
          Ute Fan
          @pedro

sorry but this is BS.  new coach, new QB that had never played on the college level.  No possible way of knowing how fast and poised that kid would be at this level.  

People assume the D can cover all 11 on the O side, you can’t.  Therefor you have to make calculated risk.  

We lost that game not due to the defense, but rather a great QB who didn’t throw the ball well, a good RB that fumbled at a critical point, a brand new LB corp that was obviously trying to do too much instead of playing their assignments, AND because the D could not containg Richardson.  But that was just a small part.  

RoboUte
            Ute Fan
            @hamplate

Kentucky showed us how fast and poised Richardson actually is. I suggest you check out some highlights, heck even just the box score will do. We let an extremely subpar but athletic QB look like Baker Mayfield out there.

UteThunder
            Ute Fan
            @utethunder

The D doesn’t have to cover all 11 on the O side. There are 5 offensive linemen which leaves 6 offensive players who need to be covered. If you rush 5, that leaves 6 on 6 with a spy on the QB. Obviously this is oversimplification of D vs O but a good DC can scheme a gameplan to account for a mobile QB without leaving someone else unguarded.  

Viewing 5 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Jay Hill > Morgan Scalley, my armchair opinion.