Josh Newman clarifies current QB situation

Viewing 5 reply threads

ProudUte
      Ute Fan
      @proudute

Article

This article clarifies the current QB situation. Some key points:

– Howard is not ready.
      – They are indeed trying to get Rose a medical redshirt, so they do not want to play him.
      – Barnes may be ready to play by the bowl game. This implies to be that he has an injury and was not sick with the flu as was reported. If Barnes cannot go, it will be Bottari.
      – They talked to Nate Johnson about moving to WR and he declined and decided to go to the portal. (I suspect this was a joint decision.)

There are some other interesting storylines like:
      – Kuithe will “likely” stay.
      – What happened to Vele? He did not play or walk with the seniors. (I never heard that he was injured.)
      – Newman suspects that there will be a number of portal announcements after December 4th. — Bishop has yet to decide his future.

UrbanLiar
      Ute Fan
      @urbanliar

If I remember correctly Vele “walked” with the seniors in 2022 then decided to return for 2023. Maybe he thought it was weird to “walk” twice? I’m just speculating.

2 1

perceptionate
      Ute Fan
      @perceptionate

I don’t understand why Johnson didn’t wait until the end of the year to announce he was transferring. If he had done that, he would have been able to play on Saturday and likely in the bowl game as well. This could have only helped him as a player — even if he was set on transferring. Was there a falling out or an argument with the coaches?

//r00t4Utes
        Ute Fan
        @r00t4utes

Seemed the thought was worry of an injury as to why he decided what he decided

Ute Dub
        Ute Fan
        @chestercopperpot

I’m old school but when you commit for a season with your teammates who also commit, then you stay through the end of the season. You owe it to them as much as yourself.

UTUTE
          Ute Fan
          @utute

Not so much, with the transfer portal and NIL

UtesRule
      Ute Fan
      @utesrule

Vele was very clear with DJ and PK on their show on November 20th that he was planning on walking with his wife, kids and parents. He said he was going to rely heavily on the underclass for extra tickets to the game.

I don’t know what this means, other than maybe he has changed his mind and is coming back for one more year with Cam.

The Rising Cam
        Ute Fan
        @tyrusaurus

Vele was one of the players hit hard by the flu. I do hope this means that he’s coming back though.

The Miami Ute
      Ute Fan
      @themiamiute

Cole Bishop said postgame he has not made up his mind about his future. The true junior safety is the highest-rated NFL draft prospect on the roster.

No, Bishop is not the highest-rated NFL draft prospect on the roster. Not by a long shot. The highest rated NFL draft prospect on the roster is Jonah Elliss.

2024 NFL Draft Scouting Report: Jonah Elliss (DE – Utah)

D T
      Ute Fan
      @azute1

BB leads us to victory in our bowl game.

Viewing 5 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Josh Newman clarifies current QB situation