Key to beating ASU

Viewing 6 reply threads

MDUte
      Ute Fan
      @mdute

I was looking closer at ASU’s numbers this season and I didn’t realize how balanced of an offense they have. They are averaging 229 yards passing and 212 yards rushing per game.

Key to victory? This seems like the classic Whitt defensive MO of stop the run and make a team 1 dimensional. If our front 7 can stuff the run, I like our chances. If ASU is forced to beat us with JD’s arm, then we should be able to dial up the pressure to make it another long night for him at RES.

At least that’s the way I see it, but interested to hear what others think we need to do to beat ASU.

UteBacker
      Ute Fan
      @utebacker

I agree with you, MD. Send. The. House. It’s risky, but I truly believe we’ll disrupt this kid mentally if he’s running for his life early and often.

Tony (admin)
        Admin/Founder
        @admin

Need to conain him though. He can be deadly with his feet. 

MDUte
          Ute Fan
          @mdute

Great point Tony. Their leading rusher, Rachaad White, has 421 yards rushing, averaging 5.5 yards/carry. And right behind White is Jayden Daniels with 369 yards rushing, averaging 6.7 yards/carry.

Gotta put pressure on JD but also contain him…will be a tough challenge for sure. 

EagleMountainUte
      Ute Fan
      @battlegroundute

I really like the look of Lloyd lining up in that hybrid DE/LB spot. Felt it really helped against the rush. ASU has talented wideouts. Not as good as USC though. Utah has to keep contain on JD. Not sure about Sewells health for this game. Reid is up to the task I think. 

Offensively I think Rising will have less time to throw. They are stout upfront. I think the best Dline this offense has faced. USC was not great or hey maybe Utah’s Oline dominated to such a degree. Idk

I have zero expectations. I really just want to see more smiles on these kids faces. Weather looks like a nice crisp fall evening. 

2008 National Champ
        Ute Fan
        @cptmrgn05

Pass rush Lloyd did fine but he kept giving up the edge on the run plays in the first half.

For this game, I’d rather see Lloyd as the spy 75% of the time on Daniels. If Utah can keep ASU between the tackles, they should be able to handle the run. It is the threat of Daniels keeping plays alive with his feet whether on RPO’s, designed runs, or just moving the pocket that makes ASU dangerous.

Utah won’t have the luxury of running Anae against two true freshman O-Lineman this time. The same Tafua we saw on Saturday will consistently get into the backfield but Filinger/Carlton can’t bite early or there will be big gains to that side. Having Lloyd as the spy may mean more 3-5 yard gains instead of tackles at the LOS but should limit the chances that Daniels breaks off a 51 yard TD run. Just like last week, Scalley needs to pick his poison in the first half and then turn the boys loose at the right times.

Zack Hill is the OC at ASU and he learned playcalling at Boise. Be prepared for a lot of window dressing and misdirection as he tries to scheme advantages. Utah is going to have to be assignment sound this week or it could get ugly.

Central Coast Ute
      Ute Fan
      @flip2848

I agree stopping the run is key. After listening to some USC guys, they say USC wants to run the ball more, but when they were behind like they were they had to throw it. So not only does the defense need to stop the run to make them 1 dimensional, but the offense needs to put points up to force them to throw.

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

We’re also going to need some offense. I believe their D has 11 returning starters. Super experienced. 

2008 National Champ
        Ute Fan
        @cptmrgn05

They’ve had some injuries so it is probably closer to 7 or 8. Although, at this point in the season, I’m not really sure how much that stat should matter anymore. When you’ve got half the season under your belt, that is a better sample to evaluate from.

MFury
          Ute Fan
          @mfury

If I understand it well enough, a running QB is really hard for man coverage. E.g. bills vs chiefs on Sunday. Almost all the big runs were between the tackles ( I think – the game ran late I got a little sleep for a few plays)

I also think the JDs biggest runs against UCLA were also down the middle.

Man coverage pulls LB and SS coverage wide. If remaining LB are picked up at the line, you have 15 yards until FA can make the tackle. Is that right – surely there is a former d coach crawling these boards that can correct me.

If I understand right – this is what scares me most about ASU

Charlie
            Ute Fan
            @charlie

When the QB runs as much as JD I like the use of a spy. I think our LBs are good enough to move the assignment around so it is Lloyd most the time and 80 to 90% of the plays works. The assignment becomes meet JD at the LOS sideline to sideline and let the rest of the team play 10 on 10. The expectation is that without JD’s numbers they begin to press and make mistakes. Key with the spy is to not give JD time and to not allow the run game to become consistent. It also works against a dominant RB as was used in the sugar bowl with Silvester spying the Alabama RB much of the game.

Coverages need to change enough to make JD think. JD is a rhythm guy, as he gets more experience it becomes harder to get him out of rhythm. However, if you attack JD and get him out of his flow ASU becomes a snake without a head. Defending JD is the priority.

If Utah can get the running game going the run/pass back and forth can frustrate ASU. Much like last week, Utah needs to vary the offense from the predictable scouting reports. We need to keep other defenses concerned with more than our base offense.

noneyadb
      Ute Fan
      @noneyadb

tarheelute
      Ute Fan
      @tarheelute

I like Utah at home. Similar to 2018, doubts from early loses to Washington and Washington State, diminished after with the big win over USC at home. A big game the MUSS and us other fans showing up in support leads to a big win.

Utah 38, ASU 24

Viewing 6 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Key to beating ASU