Local media

Viewing 8 reply threads

ALUF
      Ute Fan
      @dbgii77

Who do you listen to if anyone outside of bill riley for Ute stuff?

97.5 drives me nuts, especially that Alex currie guy on unrivaled. Just wondering if there is anyone else listening to on the radio or YouTube.

dystopiamembrane
      Ute Fan
      @dystopiamembrane

I just figure it out on my own. I have eyes and ears that work relatively well. None of us need someone else telling us how to think or feel about Utah sports. We’re grown ass adults.

1 3

dystopiamembrane
        Ute Fan
        @dystopiamembrane

Multiple down-votes with zero responses = trolls?

4 3

Larry B
      Ute Fan
      @larryb

Bill Riley annoys me just as much as any of them. I’d rather listen to unrivaled than him.

ProudUte
      Ute Fan
      @proudute

I listen to most of them if I am out in my car.  I just take everything with a grain of salt.

PK annoys me when he is trying to be sarcastic.  Hans knows football but often talks too much about growing up on a farm in Idaho.  In fact, most of these talking heads spend way too much time talking about non-sports-related things.  I listen to learn about the latest in the sports world.

Bill Riley is okay.  However, he seems to think that he knows more than anyone else.  The fact is, KW is so private that he rarely lets Bill or anyone else know what is going on in the program.  I do like Bill and his broad experience in the sporting world, albeit – I am not interested in RSL that much.

I kind of like Unrivaled.  These guys just say it as they see it.  MUCH better than Gordon Monson IMO.

My least favorite is Spencer Checketts.  He is all about the NBA and is the most arrogant of the bunch.  But, this is just one old man’s opinion. I’m sure Spencer must be a decent guy.

David James is my favorite but he is with PK, so …

ALUF
        Ute Fan
        @dbgii77

Interesting points..I don’t listen to anyone once the season starts just because I get my full each Saturday.

Right now I just want to know what’s going on in the background, but like you said KW keeps everything close to the vest. That said I should just stick to listening to national guys and ESPN 700 to pass time at work

Sanders
        Ute Fan
        @sanders

I agree DJ is ok but PK is 90% a sarcastic nuisance – that’s his role but  I had to stop listening long ago. When they bring on the Jazz play by play guy it’s just dreadful. You can turn it off for 15 minutes come back and he still talking to himself. It’s like listening to a handful of teenage girls. They’re all talking at the sametime thinking someone is listening to them but nobody is and everyone is just waiting for the other to shut up just for a moment.

ProudUte
          Ute Fan
          @proudute

I agree – listening to David Locke is painful.  I would rather be at the dentist’s office.

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

I don’t listen to any local or national sports media. Zero.

Trailgoat
      Ute Fan
      @utahgoat

Riley’s has the best Utah related info for me being outside of Utah. Don’t take much of it more than entertainment to pass time before football starts. Josh Newman is funny with his sarcasm. Always good to hear from the players and coaches, beyond that most of the print and social media coverage is self promotion and opinionated, pot stirring drivel. 

Utah football shutting out the media from on field practices and player interviews is a bummer, I get it though. Coverage now is crazy compared to the 90’s when I attended the U. 

UtesRule
      Ute Fan
      @utesrule

Why do people get so annoyed with local media. I’ve never understood this.

I subscribe to all of the locals podcasts (DJ&PK, Bill Riley, Hans and Scotty G, KSL Unrivaled, Utah Utes Interviews) and then pick and choose which specific interviews I want to listen to. Between all of them, I get a very good variety of interviews about Utah athletics from players, local beats, National beats (e.g. Phil Steele, Jordan Wynn, Steve Bartle, Stevenson Sylvester, Scott Mitchell, Kenneth Scott, et al). Bill Riley often times interviews guys from the teams the Utes are going to play (such as their play by play or local beat writers). It’s great stuff.

ProudUte
        Ute Fan
        @proudute

I agree.  There are many very good guests on these shows who share their perspectives.  I do enjoy that.

I will always listen to one of the stations when I am out in my car running errands.  It’s the best way to get caught up on local sports.  I just wish they would all focus more on sports instead of non-sport-related garbage.

D T
        Ute Fan
        @azute1

I subscribe exclusively to BR & just filter out all the U-related interviews, except Bartle…..He offers me zero insight…..I especially enjoy the interviews w/analysts who cover an upcoming opponent, as well as guys such as Steele/CanzanoWilner, etc.

GunthersRevenge
      Ute Fan
      @eldonbkimball

For local, Hans is probably my favorite. I think he’s pretty entertaining and fair.

For national, it’s definitely the Dan Patrick show. Good mix of info and entertainment.

Ute Dub
        Ute Fan
        @chestercopperpot

I agree, I like Hans…I love his break downs of game film and wish he could do more explanation and review of schemes over the radio. 

thirtyfour-thirtyone
      Ute Fan
      @thirtyfour-thirtyone

I like that we get so much airtime on KSL. That makes me laugh a bit.

For some reason I can stomach PK on the radio more-so than in print.

Scott Mitchell is like a poor man’s Bill Walton. I think he is great in small doses.

Viewing 8 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.