Looks like we are stacked at the safety position

Viewing 1 reply thread

ProudUte
      Ute Fan
      @proudute

Nice article on our safeties.  This looks like a strong point for our defense.  I think we will also be strong at LB, but we lack the experience we will have at safety.

Safeties

PS – I think Bishop may be an All-American before he is done at Utah.

5 1

AlohaUte
      Ute Fan
      @alohaute

That’s great and all, but we need to be stacked at CB, that’s what killed us in the Rose Bowl and it doesn’t seem like they’ve done much to remedy that. It’s the only position im very concerned about.

ProudUte
        Ute Fan
        @proudute

We should be healthy at CB and our first four guys are very good IMO.  However, you have a good point – that we lack depth.

D T
        Ute Fan
        @azute1

One significant thing we’re doing to shore up CB is getting healthy.

AND something else that’s not discussed as often as it should be is that tOSU’s passing performance wasn’t squarely on our secondary…..Our front 7 got virtually zero pressure on Stroud all game long…..Credit to their OL for holding us off.

Trailgoat
          Ute Fan
          @utahgoat

No doubt CB health was an issue last season. Depth, talent, and recruiting (minus CPIII) continues to be a big problem at the CB position. Either there’s a development, talent or both issue when your RB as stated by KW is your “best option” to play CB in the Rose Bowl. What were the other 5-6 uninjured CBs doing all season during practice? Tells me beyond Broughton and Marks, the rest of the CBs need to transfer or be content with playing Special Teams (STs is another big issue).

Wait and see for me on Broughton and Marks with each having 7 games of D1 CB experience counting the Covid season. Utes signed one CB in the 2022 class after slugging it out with Kansas, Texas Tech, Vanderbilt and a bunch of FCS schools. Scalley joking or not said this week in so many words, the CB position is keeping him at night. Hopefully Utah scores a couple of experience CBs out of the portal.

HUGE fan of Shah, but his two position groups, CBs and Special Teams have declined over the past few years.

D T
            Ute Fan
            @azute1

You think Vaughn needs to transfer or be content w/STs? I thought he showed enough promise in his limited reps to be regarded as better than that.

People aren’t viewing the RB correctly…..That was a combination of factors, not just a RB @ CB…..Stroud was a Heisman Trophy finalist who literally had all day long to sit back & pick us apart…..And he was throwing to elite WRs, including to a fellow future 1st rd draft pick next year.

We could certainly help ourselves by scouring the portal, but IMO it’s not as dire as some make it out to be…..CPIII’s proven durable & we have three guys opposite him who have starting experience, including Broughton who was an All-PAC-12 honoree just two years ago.

Trailgoat
              Ute Fan
              @utahgoat

Good point on the Rose Bowl and Ohio State. Agree, a lot of factors in play to include tOSU starting close to the 50 yard line after Utah kick-offs. If Utah is going to truly live up to all the hype now and consistently compete with the top level teams, CB depth needs to be up there with the RB, TE, LB, Safety, Oline.

My bad on Vaughn, totally forgot about him. He definitely played well and was all over the field in the Oregon game and will be solid next year. He seems more like a Safety though.

Central Coast Ute
        Ute Fan
        @flip2848

Didn’t they go like 5 or 6 deep at corner before going with Bernard?

Dallas
          Ute Fan
          @dallas

I thought we were down 3 starters at CB.

2008 National Champ
            Ute Fan
            @cptmrgn05

technically, Utah was down 1 starter (Broughton) against Ohio State, along with 2 backups (Marks and Vaughn).

but your point stands

Utesby1
              Ute Fan
              @garykennedy

We have all the talent we need at the CB position if you are just considering the first string but I hate to go through the entire season with all my fingers and toes crossed hoping that none of our cornerbacks is injured. It is pretty unlikely that we will play 12-14 games without multiple cornerback injuries.

Scally offhandedly mentioned that we plan to pick up a CB or two from the portal. It seems likely that we can find someone who can help us since the standard is that the CB doesn’t need to be better than our other cornerbacks….he just nneeds to be better than Bernard.

Viewing 1 reply thread

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Looks like we are stacked at the safety position