NCAA FBS split is starting

Viewing 4 reply threads

thirtyfour-thirtyone
      Ute Fan
      @thirtyfour-thirtyone

The NCAA has officially proposed splitting off the P-5 into a new division that will directly pay student athletes. One implication is that Title-9 will obvious apply to direct payments, so the gymnasts might rake in some more cash 🙂

athletic article on FBS split

The Miami Ute
      Ute Fan
      @themiamiute

Interesting. Charlie Baker used to be the Republican governor of Massachusetts and is known as a consummate deal maker.

Here’s a similar article from the Deseret News:

A new proposal from the NCAA president would revolutionize college sports

5 1

2008 National Champ
      Ute Fan
      @cptmrgn05

The real question is whether the Big 2 (SEC and B1G) are even remotely amenable to still being under the NCAA umbrella instead of striking out on their own.

Right now the NCAA is a paper tiger that would love to get their power back. Why would the conferences want an organization that has proven to be ineffective, arbitrary and capricious to be in charge?

Utah
        Ute Fan
        @utah

This is a tough issue. Part of the reason why the NCAA is so incompetent is because no one will give them the power to do anything. I hate this attitude in our society today.

The NCAA could do a great job if it was funded, if it had power to go through records, if it had the power to get testimonies, if it could actually investigate things.

We need a governing body that is well funded and has power to deliver penalties for rule breaking. The NCAA doesn’t suck. The rules that govern the NCAA suck.

Big difference here in how we frame how to fix things.

2008 National Champ
          Ute Fan
          @cptmrgn05

sorry, but the answer to ineffective bureaucracy is never more bureaucracy. They had all the power in the world and lost it on their own.

The NCAA has a horrible track record. They have been on the wrong side of history in almost every major aspect of college sports. Just a few of note:

– Involving themselves in the Sandusky case while having no authority, but at the same time ignoring Larry Nassar
          – Fighting Title IX
          – Trying to limit schools ability to be on Television
          – Allowing Division 1A, and then the FBS College Football season to be run by hucksters and charlatans instead of consistent with all other sports in all levels
          – Fighting up to the Supreme Court to keep kids from earning income while under scholarship

The Miami Ute
        Ute Fan
        @themiamiute

I think the issue there is that there are a lot of schools within the Big 2 that don’t move the needle at all. Personally, I don’t think that the B1G and the SEC can get paid at the level that they think they’re worth by ignoring over 50 percent of the country.

What you could see is what I and a lot of others have been saying is going to eventually occur. That is a by invitation only football league that excises all of the bottom feeders in the B1G and SEC but incorporates the best remaining programs out there. We can only hope that Utah can get an invitation.

2008 National Champ
          Ute Fan
          @cptmrgn05

To your second paragraph, that is exactly what I foresee. But I don’t see the NCAA as the power broker. They’ve had decades to come up with a plan that was best for college football and done nothing. The BCS and the CFP weren’t/aren’t NCAA sanctioned championships.

At this point, the NCAA is like a cowboy trying to get back in front of herd to stop the stampede.

Charlie
      Ute Fan
      @charlie

So many problems with both proposals. Can you mandate equal pay for male and female athletes or football and minor sports when the market value for each is so different? I like female sports and feel they can grow organically independent of males and care should be taken so as not to incentivize crossover. Absence of caps will ignore one of the most important issues. I do agree that the range of resources across the FBS creates incredible inequity and the only solution is dividing D1 into subdivisions. The product Georgia puts onto the field is not remotely the same as New Mexico State’s product. There are several non P4 schools much better than the bottom of P4 conferences so that is not a good boundary.

This next change needs to solve problems to be successful. Burdon college sports too much with unrelated social goals (Title IX) or fail to address constructs to create fair competition feeds the likelihood that minor league football will soon replace college football. Note that minor league football would not have these issues and are only lacking the facilities college football has. I suppose many athletes would prefer to simply play football without the distraction of college. Minor league football has so many advantages but lacks historical momentum. College football needs to reinvent its self to survive. Can you imagine how difficult it would be to compete with minor league football if it was owned by the NFL, used their facilities on Saturday but began branching out from NFL cities?

thirtyfour-thirtyone
        Ute Fan
        @thirtyfour-thirtyone

Yeah, the implementation of things like this are always weird. I support the general idea of Title 9, but some of the impacts were brutal. Many schools had to cut many men’s sports to make the numbers work. I suspect this will have a similar impact.

It sounds like schools that are not current P-5 football members will be left out (at least in this initial proposal), which could wreck a lot of good basketball programs. Gonzaga and SDSU, for example, would apparently not be allowed to pay players.

I think this is an attempt by the NCAA to either wrestle back control of college athletics, or blow the whole thing up. My guess is the golden goose is having its neck wrung.

2 3

Utah
          Ute Fan
          @utah

What I hate about the left vs right split in this country is the politicians on both sides (but way more on the right, especially lately) won’t allow us to get better.

Is Title IX a good idea? Yup.
          Are there parts we can get better at? Yup.

But we can’t do that. We have to scrap all of Title IX because some lefty snowflake came up with the idea. Why can’t we admit when the other side did something well AND admit it needs to get better and find a way to improve it.

Nothing is perfect. Even the best idea will have negative consequences. We need to make changes, re-eval and continue to make changes.

The world is not black and white. Every decision has good and bad outcomes. Let’s work together to maximize the good and then find ways to fix the bad.

Charlie
            Ute Fan
            @charlie

The reference to Title IX is not a criticism. I recognize it is a noble cause. However, to force college football to carry the burden makes it venerable to alternatives that do not require this. College football carries more than female sports, it also carries minor sports. As it relates to NIL, if you force participants in NIL to share equally with others not connected to that NIL I expect those participants to seek a distribution channel that does not include that burden. NIL is about freedom to be compensated for your own property. I would expect the same case will hold true if women’s gymnastics was forced to share their NIL with others at a college without a football team. It is an awkward remedy that can create unintended consequences and if there are alternative paths without the restriction eventually, like electricity, college football with seek the path with less resistance. As we make changes, we may want to think about the impact of the change.

The Miami Ute
        Ute Fan
        @themiamiute

You know what I see Charlie, the possibility of the NFL and certain universities entering into some sort of licensing and development agreement. The universities lend their NIL to the NFL, create their own league, and act as a farm club for each NFL team. For example, Miami for the Dolphins, USC for the Rams, UCLA for the Chargers, Texas for Dallas, Cal or Stanford for the 49ers, Washington for the Seahawks, etc…the players are only players and not students, which is what I imagine the majority of them would like to see…I know it’s out of the box thinking but think that, somewhere down the line, eventually we’ll get there.

EagleMountainUte
      Ute Fan
      @battlegroundute

This just narrows my plans to watch college football.
      My plan next year is to only watch Utah football games. I probably watched like 30 non Utah games this season.

Does it matter? Idk I think more and more people are beginning to be like me when it comes to football.

The Miami Ute
        Ute Fan
        @themiamiute

For years, I’ve only watched Utah or Miami or games which impact those schools directly. I have neither the time nor the desire for anything else.

EagleMountainUte
          Ute Fan
          @battlegroundute

I think I said this last year. When Utah was 6-1 though you tend to peek at the upcoming opponents.

I really have zero desire to watch any other big 12 team. My overall excitement is for Utah to really make a run at this expanded playoff.

Viewing 4 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football NCAA FBS split is starting