NIL

Viewing 3 reply threads
      4 1

homer
      Ute Fan
      @homer

Putting this under football, but certainly could apply to all NCAA sports.

Truth is a it takes a lot of student athletes to make a team. Many will struggle to obtain NIL compensation.

Schools offer a pretty nice deal offering full ride to most athletes; full ride schollies, special health, dietary, stipends, etc in exchange for playing.

How about offering student athletes the choice of obtaining NIL compensation and paying for their tuition and expenses, OR receiving a full ride athletic scholarship but can’t receive money from using their NIL?

Schools disallowed to organize, offer, provide help obtaining NILs. Let that be separate. Reviewed annually, so as to allow school or athletes to change course.

chinngiskhaan
      Ute Fan
      @chinngiskhaan

I can’t fathom why any school or NIL level athlete would want things to be that way. What you are suggesting makes no sense at all. Do you not understand/remember why or how NIL came to be in the first place?

Give them the option of a schollie or NIL but not both? I’m assuming you are under the impression that your way would allow the wealth to be spread more evenly to all student athletes… but if the school/NCAA dictated who got an NIL deal, that would dramatically decrease the incentive for boosters to hand out NIL deals in the first place. Even if what you were suggesting was legal, it wouldn’t be desirable.

NIL was created as a way for athletes that are in a position to profit off of their likeness to do so without breaking NCAA rules. The purpose of it has never been, and will never be to benefit the average NCAA athlete. The whole reason previous NCAA rules were shot down in the first place was because preventing someone from profiting off of their name/image/likeness was deemed illegal. How the hell is what you are suggesting any less illegal? You can no longer prevent an athlete from seeking whatever compensation they can get from their own NIL. The NCAA already tried the whole, “we’re giving them a choice, NCAA athlete or NIL profits” thing. No, a schollie is not the same as profiting off of your NIL. The NCAA tried that argument too. What you are suggesting is basically the exact same thing that was already shot down in a court of law.

RedUte14
        Ute Fan
        @redute14

You should try to be positive just once in your life.

chinngiskhaan
          Ute Fan
          @chinngiskhaan

I gave you a thumbs up… does that count?

dystopiamembrane
          Ute Fan
          @dystopiamembrane

popcorn popping on the apricot tree

chinngiskhaan
          Ute Fan
          @chinngiskhaan

Homer’s take was a bad one. I pointed out the flaws… and like clockwork I get downvoted, and nobody cares to even attempt to refute my claims. 

yes, I could have been less harsh. BFD. I’m not wrong.

dystopiamembrane
            Ute Fan
            @dystopiamembrane

Normals have trained themselves to be even-keeled, vanilla, restrained, not prone to sensitive language or challenging dialogue. They reject the opposite as soon as they get even a sniff. This board is populated by a special kind of normal.

DrJazzy
      Ute Fan
      @docute

Not sure if it would exactly be kosher – but the University of Utah Hospital systems should look into using Athletes to promote things like the Orthopeadic services or Rehab Medicine. Feels like a win win to me.

Once I finish fellowship – if I come back to Utah I will def push whatever organization I work for to use Utah Athletes to promote my practice. 

DrJazzy
      Ute Fan
      @docute

Not sure if it would exactly be kosher – but the University of Utah Hospital systems should look into using Athletes to promote things like the Orthopeadic services or Rehab Medicine. Feels like a win win to me.

Once I finish fellowship – if I come back to Utah I will def push whatever organization I work for to use Utah Athletes to promote my practice. 

Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.