Notre Dame de Paris is on fire. The roof has collapsed.

Viewing 4 reply threads

Utesbyfive
      Ute Fan
      @utesbyfive

I’m speechless. It looks like it will be unusable for the rest of our lifetimes, if it survives at all. The spire is down. It continues to burn.

UtahFanSir
      Ute Fan
      @utahfansir

We were headed there in September. I’m in shock. The rafters from the 13th century and 19th century, I think are burning. The structure may collapse. The building was undergoing renovation. Incredible shame.

Utesbyfive
        Ute Fan
        @utesbyfive

http://www.france24.com is saying that the ENTIRE frame will be gone. They’re trying to save art & artifacts. The piece of THE cross might be important.

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

Sad. I visited there a few years ago.

Brettski
      Ute Fan
      @brettski

Utesbyfive
        Ute Fan
        @utesbyfive

The stone vault ceiling survived except for the center where the spire fell. Apparently all the Rose windows survived. It’s a lot less bad than I think most people expected. The timber frame is gone, and all the interior spaces where it was, will have to be rebuilt. There were approximately 21 hectares of timber used in its construction. It will be interesting to see what approach they take. Since these areas are not public, or even used spaces, they may just reframe it with steel. You never know.

Brettski
          Ute Fan
          @brettski

We are going to Paris this June and I was really looking forward to seeing Notre Dame.  Now I’ll probably just see it from across the river.  

Utesbyfive
            Ute Fan
            @utesbyfive

You should be able to get closer than that. However nobody’s going in there for a very very long time.

Tony (admin)
            Admin/Founder
            @admin

Close by is St Chapel. Must see. Incredible stained glass.

Brettski
              Ute Fan
              @brettski

That is on our list to see as well! 

Johnny80
      Ute Fan
      @johnny80

My heart hurts. That place is beautiful. Have more that a few wonderful memories there.

Viewing 4 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Misc Notre Dame de Paris is on fire. The roof has collapsed.