Opinions on weather conditions for games?

Viewing 4 reply threads

EagleMountainUte
      Ute Fan
      @battlegroundute

I have always felt that it favors the visiting team because crowds tend to be less than enthused during terrible weather. Opinions? I hate wind the most add rain to it and I am miserable. Snow doesn’t bother me but it sure doesn’t make me cheer louder.  

40% chance of snow for Saturday. 

Anonymous
      Inactive

I don’t know about some sort of general rule. It should not matter this week. Both teams are high elevation cold weather teams.

PlainsUte
      Ute Fan
      @plainsute

I think rain/snow does reduce the crowd size and thus crowd noise, etc.  There are some exceptions to that, such as Green Bay where the Packers’ fans take a special pride in being prepared for and showing up in cold weather (helps that many people there have a bunch of cold-weather hunting gear and hip flasks full of brandy).   Coloradans, like Utahns, probably are well prepared for cold in the same way due to the winter recreation in those places (plus hunting of course).   Given the Buffs are 5-5 with a 5-game losing streak may put a damper on people’s desire to get out and cheer in cold, wet conditions.  They might be more interested in going skiing – Arapahoe Basin is already open for those with a spare set of rock skis.

StubHub currently has tons of seats being put up for sale at $30 or less if that gives you an indication of the expected turnout for this game.  You can sit at the 50 yard line for about $60.

When coaches and players talk about weather they say they can play in anything, but the wind affecting the passing game is the one thing they might game plan for.  In this case, I don’t see a lot of wind.

MussMan
        Ute Fan
        @mussman

Travelzoo is also selling sideline tickets for $40. I saw some on the 30 yard line on row 15 for that price. Sounds like tickets aren’t selling too well.

EagleMountainUte
        Ute Fan
        @battlegroundute

As always you knock it out of the park. I also agree with certain people taking pride in the weather. LSU as an example early in the season or Lambeau. 

If it is snow and wind it plays into our favor with more mass and running back depth. You will still see Shinault in those sweep plays and stuff. 

Spjegutes
        Ute Fan
        @spjegutes

I think it will not be well attended. I got a phone call, email and text from Colorado wanting to know if I wanted to buy tickets sincesi bought some in 2016.   The effort alone made me think they know they have a ticket selling problem.

EagleMountainUte
          Ute Fan
          @battlegroundute

They went from maybe a special season to when does ski season kick off?  

FtheY
      Ute Fan
      @fthey

I think it favors the team with the better running game and red zone conversion percentage, as passing and kicking become tougher in poor conditions. 

Anonymous
      Inactive

Mass kicks ass. Defense travels. Both of these considerations favor Utah. Weather notwithstanding. 

5 1

ladyinred
        Ute Fan
        @ladyinred

Unfortunately our defense didn’t travel to ASU though. 

Anonymous
          Inactive

My opinion is that the Defense didn’t make the same adjustment against the Devils that they later made against the Ducks. Also that the Offense couldn’t keep up considering Shelley came in cold.

Tony (admin)
            Admin/Founder
            @admin

Plus I think we just had no mojo in the ASU game. Even if Huntley didn’t get hurt I still don’t think we would have won that game. 

SalUteopia
              Ute Fan
              @saluteopia

Yep, the team looked flat compared to the previous 4 games. I don’t get it. But I’ll say this – despite our pathetic performance in the UW game, that game looked more winnable than ASU.

FtheY
                Ute Fan
                @fthey

Very interesting take. Now that you mention it, I agree. 

chinngiskhaan
                Ute Fan
                @chinngiskhaan

eh… we had our chances at ASU. I mean, if that pass is caught in the endzone instead of tipped up and picked off, it’s a whole different ball game. Our offense was moving the ball. It was a reasonably close game until the wheels fell off right around when Huntley got hurt.

tarheelute
            Ute Fan
            @tarheelute

Night and day.  I was at the ASU game, they beat us at our own game, with a run first offense, complimented by a rangy QB, who could run and pass.  Oregon on the other hand, no run, one deminsion, Utes win.  Got to do the same on Saturday, versus Montez and the Buffs runners.

Viewing 4 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Opinions on weather conditions for games?