Oregon is Going to Get Surprised at Rice-Eccles

Viewing 3 reply threads

The Miami Ute
      Ute Fan
      @themiamiute

I just checked Oregon’s schedule and the best defensive team they’ve played all year is Washington, which currently stands at #83 in the FBS. By way of contrast, Utah has already played UCLA, who’s #11, and Florida, who’s #18. I think Bo Nix and the high-flying Ducks are going to get a little surprise when they show up at Rice-Eccles on Saturday. Oregon is #2 in the FBS on offense but Utah has already played two top 20 offenses (USC #11 and UCLA #17) and handled them pretty well.

GaUTE
      Ute Fan
      @seetotheoreye

it’s going to be a game for sure. defense has always been a love of mine, it’s not the glitter, but it’s the glory and gets the job done. this Utah defense has been incredible this year.

The Miami Ute
        Ute Fan
        @themiamiute

Oregon just has not played any team that plays defense at anything close to a high level. That’s why you have to take their gaudy offensive statistics with a grain of salt. It will be interesting to see if they’re as advertised and can up their game, especially at such a hostile environment as Rice-Eccles.

Roy Rangum
          Ute Fan
          @royrangum

Good insight. It would be great if we can surprise them and pull this out.

22Ute22
      Ute Fan
      @utedagoat

Hopefully you’re right. I’m pretty sure Utah allows quite a few big plays, but that’s just due to the aggressive nature of the defense. Hopefully Utah can limit those big plays and force Oregon to match down the field. The difference between their redzone offense and non-redzone offense is quite drastic. They are much better at scoring from explosive plays than in the redzone and Utah has a great redzone defense.

Our O-line and D-line need to win their battles. We need to take some deep shots or else Oregon will copy Oregon State’s game plan and sellout to stop the run. Our defense is good, but they can’t hold out forever.

The Miami Ute
        Ute Fan
        @themiamiute

Again, keep in mind that all of the Oregon offensive highlights you’ve seen this season have taken place against bad defensive teams. If Utah’s defense can essentially hold USC to 20 points in the Coli, I think that they can do the same to Oregon at Rice-Eccles. We’ll see about the offense. However, it feels like they’ve figured out what they need to do to be successful going forward (the offense has put up well over 900 yards in the last two games combined). I really like our chances in this game.

belli1976
          Ute Fan
          @belli1976

I really hope this is true.

Similar statements were said last year. And Nix was were cement shoes and we could barely get to him. Their O Line owned our front 7.

Conversely, their D Line destroyed. Rising was hobbling and was trying to be on the move all night.

The Oregon game for me, was the most frustrating loss last year. So that scar is still fresh.

Go Utes!

The Miami Ute
            Ute Fan
            @themiamiute

Belli, I’m just using stats and metrics to prove my point. A few things of note:

1. The game will be played in the friendly confines of Rice-Eccles, not at Autzen. That means something.

2. Barnes is not hobbled like Rising was last year. That also means something.

3. We have Vaki on offense this year. It’s incredible, but he’s probably the best instinctive runner on the team. He makes moves that are what you look for in a star running back. The Athletic’s Heisman Watch actually gave him one Heisman vote after his week’s game. If he keeps up his production and the Utes keep winning in the national spotlight, it’ll be interesting to see where he ends up.

4. We lost Barton but are starting to get some injured guys back on defense. Because guys like O’Toole and Fillinger have missed multiple games, they are fresh and don’t have the nagging little injuries and pain that most players have to endure through a regular season.

I had a good feeling about the USC game and I feel the same way about this game. The Ducks might win but they won’t blow the Utes out. It’ll stay close until the end with the Utes winning 28-21.

Onlyu
              Ute Fan
              @uf8fl

I think Oregon is the best overall team in the Pac12 and would beat Washington by two+ scores if they meet again this year. I also believe that with Cam, Brant and Lander the Utes would hold that “best” title but that never materialized as we all know.

You’re right to say RES is a huge advantage and that our defense will be, by far, the best they’ve faced this year. I worry that they just played in a similar raucous environment two weeks ok in Seattle with gives them some experience with an electric crowd. On the flip side, the plays the offense made on Saturday night in LA will be much more difficult to come by against the ducks. We’ve got our work cut out for us this week.

This will be our toughest test of the season imo. We can’t turn it over and we’ll have to have a 2+ edge in takeaways to sneak this one out!

Go Utes!

ProudUte
                Ute Fan
                @proudute

I agree with you OnlyU that Oregon is the best overall team in the conference. UW was lucky to pull that game out. UW also showed some vulnerability this last week against a poor ASU team.

Oregon will move the ball and score. They are just very good and diverse on offense. We won’t stop them, but can we slow them down? Can we generate some turnovers?

For us to win, our offense will have to deliver. Oregon’s defense is better than USC’s defense. Everyone here knows that. So, the key to us winning will be if our offense can figure out a way to move the ball and sustain drives. Jackson getting healthy has helped and Vaki’s amazing skills have been huge. But, maybe the most important thing is that Barnes is practicing full-time with the offense. He will be better prepared and more confident coming into this game.

EagleMountainUte
                Ute Fan
                @battlegroundute

By far Oregon is the best team on Utah’s schedule. They are very balanced. Washington is a more difficult game I would argue though because Utah on the road has struggled.

Utah home defense is very good. It will be up to the Dline to contain Nix. Unfortunately Broughton and Battle just haven’t been able to cover guys all season deep.

Thinking on it all I think I am more confident with this game than USC.

Dallas
                Ute Fan
                @dallas

Are we sure Barnes is healthy? He was taking HUGE hits on Saturday especially at the end. Whit said he’d be fine which was kind of a non-response to a pointed question about Barnes’s health after taking such monster hits.

UtesRule
                Ute Fan
                @utesrule

ALTITUDE is the differentiator from the “hostile” environment they faced in Seattle vs what they will face in Utah!

Utah5410
      Ute Fan
      @utah5410

Been saying this all year…UO is going to find out on sat. I agree they are the best team we have faced. But, 2 things will seperate is

1. RES
      2. KW

We don’t lose at home. I understand we could. Buy UO is going to have to play perfect OR force a ton of TO

KW will coach circles around DL. DL is not a bad coach, but he is young and Whitt is humming this year. This has been his best coaching job by far. He loves this. Being the underdog I mean. The Hunter he thrives on it. I think UO is coming in c**ky, vegas doesn’t give us a chance, game day will all pick UO. Perfect for our guys.

Thanks for the stats Miami

The Miami Ute
        Ute Fan
        @themiamiute

No problem ’54…

In case anyone is interested, here are rankings of the FBS defenses that Oregon has played so far (****CORRECTION: TEXAS TECH IS THE HIGHEST RANKED DEFENSE THAT OREGON HAS PLAYED THIS SEASON****):
        #59 Texas Tech
        #82 Hawaii
        #130 Colorado
        #127 Stanford
        #83 Washington
        #115 Washington State

I made a mistake in my previous analysis as both Texas Tech and Hawaii (barely) are ranked ahead of Washington in total defense. That being said, I think my point still stands. Oregon has not played any team that is as competent in defense as Utah and Saturday’s result will reflect that fact.

Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Oregon is Going to Get Surprised at Rice-Eccles