Our matchup with Ohio State

Viewing 4 reply threads

ProudUte
      Ute Fan
      @proudute

On paper, we do not match up well with Ohio State.  Fortunately, the game isn’t played on paper.

Some stats of note:

OSU averaged 551 yards per game.  Considering they called off the dogs in the second half of most games, that is astounding.

OSU averaged 364 yards passing per game and their rushing yards were still very good at 186 ypg.

Yes, they lost to Oregon on September 11th.  But, we all know what happened to us on September 11 and I would hate to judge our team by anything that happened in September. OSU was still breaking in their outstanding QB. Keep in mind that Oregon’s AA running back played in that game.  He did not play in either Utah game as well as their top three receivers.  I guess I am saying there is nothing to be gained by comparative scoring.

I am sure our defensive coaches are focussing on two November OSU games – Nebraska and Michigan.  They were held to less than 30 points in both games, albeit they still racked up a ton of yards.

Utah has not allowed over 300 yards total offense since playing UCLA in October.  As our defense gained experience, they improved significantly.

IMO, winning will not be easy, but I think we can win if:

– Our offense can control the ball, thus keeping the ball out of OSU’s powerful offense’s hands.

– Our defense stops the “chunk” plays.  That is what Michigan did.  They gave up a lot of yards (394 passing yards) but not a lot of big plays.

– Avoid boneheaded mistakes; i.e., personal fouls, blocked punts, large kickoff returns. etc.

Ohio State is a great team.  If we win this game, it may be our best victory ever.  We will have two advantages, the crowd, and I believe OSU players may not be as motivated because they are not in the CFP.  A third advantage will be 22/22.

Go Utes!!!

Utesbyfive
      Ute Fan
      @utesbyfive

The Utes have considered themselves playing with 13 men on the field all year. With the crowd it will be 14. GO UTES!

popbirch
      Ute Fan
      @popbirch

Nebraska, Oregon and Michigan all held them to under 30. 

our defense is at least as good as those teams. We should be able to replicate. 

Also statistically speaking we are the best pass rush defense they have faced and should be able to disrupt their timing with pressure. 

Their defense is terrible against the run. Any Oregon and Michigan gashed them with physical play.  Thomas, pledger and bernard will have lots of room to break open. I’m sure the coaches are pulling film and will replicate Michigan’s attack.  They do similar things as us and use “big” te as additional run blockers to gain double teams. Our offense should easily score 30. 

I think the matchup is certainly in their favor but not by much. And honestly if we play with the Ccg intensity I’m not sure Osu will hang. I

Utesbyfive
        Ute Fan
        @utesbyfive

We are most similar to Michigan as far as how the team is built and the defensive schemes they use.

Stone
          Ute Fan
          @stone

Then let’s hope Ohio State gets the flu again 🙂

Italy88
      Ute Fan
      @itacoatiara22

I’d never bet against Whitt with this much time to prepare and on such a big stage.

UteFanatic
      Ute Fan
      @utefanatic

I love this game. Outside of a CFP team, this is the best team we could have hoped to play in a NY6 game.

Their offense is incredible. They will rack up yards and score at least 30 points. The advanced stats predict a 37-26 score in Ohio State’s favor. This is a huge opportunity for our Utes. A win against Ohio State on the Rose Bowl stage is a huge brand improvement opportunity. 

If Utah can control the ball on offense with 7-8 minute drives and get a few stops on defense, I really like our chances. Can’t have three-and-outs or turnovers. 

I’m so excited. Rose Bowl, baby!

Viewing 4 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Our matchup with Ohio State