Playoff Semi: Washington vs Texas

Viewing 12 reply threads

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

Washington up 7-0 after a beautiful long pass play by Penix.

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

Good game. 21-21 at halftime.

D T
        Ute Fan
        @azute1

UW should be up by a score…..Pretty confident in them winning this game.

NorthernUte
      Ute Fan
      @northernute24

If I am an NFL scout watching Penix right now, I am foaming at the mouth. This offense is truly unstoppable. It’s incredible to watch Penix, truly jaw-dropping too me.

Tony (admin)
        Admin/Founder
        @admin

He is SO good. And so are his receivers.

8 1

Northendzone Ute5
      Ute Fan
      @northendzoneute5

Penix should have won the Heisman 🏆

3 5

The Miami Ute
        Ute Fan
        @themiamiute

No, he shouldn’t have. Go look at his game by game statistics. Yes, Washington was undefeated but Penix had a number of bad to mediocre games (versus ASU, Oregon State, and Wazzu) this season while Daniels had none.

EagleMountainUte
          Ute Fan
          @battlegroundute

Dubs and L’s matter more. Penix wins. His defense and rushing game is dogs**t to.

The Miami Ute
            Ute Fan
            @themiamiute

Eagle, Penix ended the regular season as the #14 rated QB in the FBS.

NarfUte
        Ute Fan
        @narfute

Are lefties even eligible for it?
        (I know Tebow and Leinert are lefties and won it, calm down southpaws)

NarfUte
      Ute Fan
      @narfute

We put up 28 on these guys in Seattle. Pac was strong this year (we knew this)

2 17

The Miami Ute
      Ute Fan
      @themiamiute

I think Washington is going to get curb-stomped by Michigan. Texas could have done better in this game but continuously shot itself in the foot with turnovers and stupid penalties at the worst time. Michigan has a much better defense than Texas (#1 in the FBS), so I’ll be shocked if Penix and his receivers are allowed to run wild in the NCG. This contest also goes to show how low the ceiling is among the current members of the truck stop conference we’re joining later this year.

3 1

Rick Walker
      Ute Fan
      @big2890

Washington about to crap the bed 🤦‍♂️

stbone
        Ute Fan
        @stbone

I think CFB is trying to convince me that they are the WWF.

Also, if Wash. had played Whitt ball, this game would be over. Passing on 3rd and goal instead of running to waste time is Atlanta-Falcons against the Patriots in the Super Bowl level of stupid.

The Miami Ute
      Ute Fan
      @themiamiute

Washington is the f**king luckiest team on the face of the earth. Total DPI on the last play of the game.

26 1

cj13
        Ute Fan
        @cjohnsen13

Never in a million years is that a DPI. Eyes on the ball and straight up swatted it away

UTE98
        Ute Fan
        @ute98

I think the play was the perfect combination for the defense. Ball thrown high, defender has no reason to try to catch it or keep it inbounds. The receiver has to get a foot in, and had a decision to try to go up and come back down in bounds or just toe tap. Looks like he went for the toe tap.

I think the defender got up, stayed up, the hand on the shoulder was insignificant IMO.

I think it was perfectly played by the DB, no PI.

EMUte#2
      Ute Fan
      @cbanders5

We gave washington all they could handle with Barnes. Can’t help but think if we could some wr’s in the portal a safety and a another bruiser rb. We could have a dangerous team next year.

The Miami Ute
      Ute Fan
      @themiamiute

Here’s another view of the last play of the game. To me, that’s textbook DPI.

EagleMountainUte
        Ute Fan
        @battlegroundute

I dislike Washington a lot as well. But that is perfect defense. I mean the little hand on him is nothing.

The Miami Ute
          Ute Fan
          @themiamiute

Here is how the NCAA rulebook officially defines the defensive pass interference rule:

“Defensive pass interference is contact beyond the neutral zone by a Team B player whose intent to impede an eligible opponent is obvious and could prevent the opponent the opportunity of receiving a catchable forward pass. When in question, a legal forward pass is catchable. Defensive pass interference occurs only after a legal forward pass is thrown.”

Contact? Check. Legal forward pass? Check. Pass interference? Check. As I stated previously, what my eyes tell me is that the DB is using his left hand to both maintain his elevation and keep the receiver from launching himself at the ball. There’s also zero doubt that there’s contact between the two before the ball arrives. That, to me and as per the NCAA’s own rulebook is pass interference.

EagleMountainUte
            Ute Fan
            @battlegroundute

Madden said once you could call PI or hold on every play.

That is good defense all day. Because basically what you’re arguing is that DB’s can’t touch them ever. It was a play on the ball. He made a play on the ball.

The Miami Ute
              Ute Fan
              @themiamiute

Madden once said that you could call a hold on every play, not DPI. Ok then, so let’s just change the rules to what they were during the Jack Tatum/George Atkinson days of “bump and run.”. There’s nothing I hate more than having rules that aren’t enforced. In my life, I’ve seen DPIs less egregious than that called and also some that were much more not called.

EagleMountainUte
            Ute Fan
            @battlegroundute

Also it wasn’t PI because it wasn’t called. Great no call.

DataUte
            Ute Fan
            @scotwaye

As much as I wanted it to be PI, seems like he launches up to play the ball, then puts a hand on his shoulder, but doesn’t really keep Texas guy from elevating. But that’s just me. He got UP and swatted that away – not sure the receiver had the hops to get there on that fade. Wish it wasn’t a fade. Hate them, but it was the right WR for the play.

The Miami Ute
              Ute Fan
              @themiamiute

Last post on this subject for me…the question is whether the DB made contact with the receiver prior to the ball arriving. If he did, its DPI. There’s no way a person can lawyer himself or herself out of that.

EagleMountainUte
                Ute Fan
                @battlegroundute

That happens every time. Every time a DB does that. You can call it every time like holding or illegal contact.
                Just don’t even have DB’s at this point if you are saying that is DPI. He made a play on the ball. That is the difference for me. Even if it was Utes WR I wouldn’t want that called.

DrahtUte
      Ute Fan
      @drahtute

Wait a second…I turned off the game when Texas didn’t recover the onside kick with about a minute left. How on earth did Texas wind up with the ball all the way down at the end zone with a chance to win on the last play?

DataUte
        Ute Fan
        @scotwaye

Time mgmt – Texas called timeouts and then UW had an injured player that stopped the clock at 0:50. Punt – 45s to go 69 yds. Big pass play, 30s to go 28. Eventually 15s to get 12 yds and TD. Crazy ending

DrahtUte
          Ute Fan
          @drahtute

Wow – I wish I would have watched that. Thanks for recapping.

EagleMountainUte
        Ute Fan
        @battlegroundute

Washington’s s**t running game.

TX_UTE
      Ute Fan
      @dleemiller

If I was a tinfoil hat guy, based on the number of missed Washington penalties, including the DPI at the end of the game, I’d say the Committee desperately wanted a #1 versus #2 final to justify their final four and to quiet the FSU noise, even though UGA already did that favor for them…Go Utes!

NarfUte
        Ute Fan
        @narfute

Lots of blatant missed holds on Texas’ last two scoring drives. Just as blatant as the ones they called in the first half

EagleMountainUte
          Ute Fan
          @battlegroundute

Yeah that is the thing with using officiating to justify a fix. Because during the course of a game there could have been a number of calls that would change the dynamics of the game.

Thinking back to Utah vs Washington game. A lot of DPI was called on Utah. Biggest gripe on them was the balls were not catchable.

Rick
          Ute Fan
          @rickyrules

Texas could have been called for holding on almost every pass play. I saw several UW players getting choke held and they called nothing. Do not complain about a questionable PI call in this game when Texas got away with murder in the trenches all night.

D T
      Ute Fan
      @azute1

I’m happy with the prospect the P12 goes out with a bang! Go UW!

Viewing 12 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Playoff Semi: Washington vs Texas