Replay BYU game

Viewing 3 reply threads

BleedsRedUte
      Ute Fan
      @bleedsredute

Why was Erickson in the game at the critical last minute? He made several mistakes during the game, and he isn’t a great ball handler. He turned the ball over when double teamed in the final seconds.

Coach Smith must have thought he was the best option, and his athletic speed must be a factor. Hard to understand not using another player.

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

Yeah that TO was awful.

Hahnenwk
        Ute Fan
        @hahnenwk

Bajema got very few minutes in second half and Erickson replaced him. Is he considered a better defender and Smith was just looking to hang on to the lead?

I think there were about one third Ybu fans. Luckily the Utes shut them up in the first half and they never got themselves going in the second. Every time they got close the Utes came up with something. Keita’s defense on the last play was major.

Staples
          Ute Fan
          @staples

I think Erickson playing as much as he did down the stretch was a combination of foul trouble with Bajema and defense. I haven’t watched enough of BYU this year to know if they typically post their guards, but they started doing that with Hall and Johnson since we were running them off the three point line. Erickson and Worster both did an excellent job (in my opinion) of being physical down low, particularly since the refs were letting them play.

Jim Vanderhoof
      Ute Fan
      @jvhoofs

Bajema looks out of place. He is a less version of Madsen. Can shoot but can’t drive or handle the ball.

First time I’ve seen this team play with passion and desire. It was fun to watch. Maybe they need a big crowd and rivalry game to get them going.

We play good when we move the ball and get the ball inside to our bigs. Thats our strength. Madsen gets open when the defense sags to help out.

Worster has a huge heart but is too slow and can’t shoot. At the end of games the defense starts pressuring the ball and we dribble more and pass less. A quick ball handler that can penetrate and get fouled would be a huge help(Smith). Frustrating that we cant seem to get that fixed.

palos_verdes_ute
        Ute Fan
        @palos-verdes-ute

As good as this team is, they will be limited due to guard play. Erikson and Wooster are not true point guards. Wooster is a good MWC type player but should be coming off the bench for a pac12 team.

Staples
          Ute Fan
          @staples

Worster has proven to be a solid point guard. Not elite, and his shooting leaves much to be desired, but his toughness is huge for this team. Erickson on the other hand is not a point guard. He’s much more of a combo guard who can run the point on occasion but that shouldn’t be his role. Unfortunately the seeming perfect compliment to Rollie at the point is currently having to deal with the idiocy of the NCAA and its waiver process. Smith would bring a completely different dynamic to the position, at least from everything I’ve heard and read.

Jim Vanderhoof
            Ute Fan
            @jvhoofs

Erickson looks like a really good rec or Westminster guard. Not a D1 tournament guard.

Jim Vanderhoof
          Ute Fan
          @jvhoofs

I agree palos verdes. It’s been this way for two years. Have we recruited a real point guard or have one on the roster? I don’t see it. I put the blame on coach Smith.

He coached Worster at USU and knew his limitations. Teams have gotten more and more athletic on defense each year. At this level you better have some athletic guards to match up. There’s a reason strong guard play wins in the NCAA tournament.

Charlie
            Ute Fan
            @charlie

As it relates to recruiting, two PG options are here but not on the floor yet. Exacte is more of a combo guard but would improve ball handling. He is very close to returning from injury. Smith is an awesome PG. I think he would outplay most guards we play this year. I have no idea why the NCAA has such a problem with some second transfer athletes but not others.

As for Worster, he is the best at penetration on the team. I feel we need this element or defenses will extend closer on the perimeter. He does finish enough and he does get others opportunities. It would be nice if others could get to the rim more. I think he did shoot better last year so it may improve.

As for Erickson, he does play good defense for the most part. On offense, he has a number of poor passes that stand out a lot then again he can feed the inside sometimes very well. He shoots well from outside but mostly only when the shot is not well defended. He is up and down with the down really noticeable.

If the two missing pieces were available, the rotations would be very different. Half of the issue may change soon.

Jim Vanderhoof
      Ute Fan
      @jvhoofs

I shutter when Worster and Erickson are dribbling and handling the ball late in games. Neither can get separation from the defender. We play better when we run our offense and move the ball inside out.

It will become our weakness again in conference play. Smith would be a huge help. If I were coaching against us I would pressure the guards. If Exacte can get healthy and drive to the hoop that would also help.

Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.