Runnin’ Utes vs. Turds down south

Viewing 11 reply threads

SteelUte
      Ute Fan
      @steelute

I’m excited for the basketball game this weekend. I’m hearing rumours that their fans are buying up tickets in droves. This would be embarrasing. Hopefully our fans show well and it doesn’t look like Marriot center north. If you go, please spill a beer out on someone for me. 😉

Jim Vanderhoof
      Ute Fan
      @jvhoofs

We need to send them back to Provo with a “L”. That’s the only way to shut them up! Sad that we can’t get enough student and fan support for a rivalry game.

alexsmith
        Ute Fan
        @alexsmith

To be fair, I tried to get student tickets and they told me they were sold out, so it’s not the students!

Jim Vanderhoof
      Ute Fan
      @jvhoofs

I guess we’ll see what kind of heart this team has. Having your home court full of rival fans would p**s me off as a player. Respect is earned not a given. If you want fans back play inspired and earn respect.

With the Jazz being down. Now is the time to get some casual fans back. We are moving to the #1 basketball conference next year. Go Utes!

utefansince79
      Ute Fan
      @utefansince79

Many games the band outnumbers the rest of the students. They sold out all the seats for this one, but likely will be back to 50 or fewer when UVU comes to play next weekend, and I honestly couldn’t tell if there even was a MUSS section in the Delta Center last week.

I’ll be there (as always) tomorrow to cheer on my Utes, but as I follow various Utah boards, all the talk is football related with little hoops talk and I have an uneasy feeling those 1000s of seats in the upper bowl will be mostly blue. (Hey those Cougars fans enjoy beating Utah as much as we do beating BYU so can see why they are snapping up the seats).

But will be there yelling for my team tomorrow. Hopefully we’ll see Brandon on the floor.

chinngiskhaan
      Ute Fan
      @chinngiskhaan

Ute fans have no room to whine about TSPP fans buying up tons of tickets to the game. If Ute fans cared, they could have and should have bought the tickets way before BYU fans ever had the chance to buy up the tickets like they have. Ute fans have nobody to blame but themselves for this.

The Miami Ute
      Ute Fan
      @themiamiute

Oh, I imagine it’s not only the upper bowl seats that will be mostly blue. I’m certain that quite a few Utah season ticket holders have been selling their lower bowl tickets for a tidy profit. I have lower bowl season tickets and they only come out to $10 per game. I just checked and the cheapest tickets on third-party sites for this game were going for $120 a piece. You could almost literally get back whatever you paid for a season ticket by selling your tickets for this game.

utefansince79
      Ute Fan
      @utefansince79

Will be unnerving if BYU team and crowd both dominate, but it’s on Utah’s fan base if that happens.

Jim Vanderhoof
      Ute Fan
      @jvhoofs

I’m probably the most mild mannered fan on earth. I’ve been to many away football and basketball games in my life. I have never insulted or drawn any attention to myself. Watch the game cheer for your team and be respectful as you are a guest.

A few years ago I went to the Utah-BYU game at the Hunstman center. Over half the upper bowl was BYU fans ( mostly students). They were the most obnoxious fans I’ve ever seen. It was so bad I ended standing up in the lower bowl giving them the finger. I was with my grandson. We (many others around me)were ready to go up and confront them ( kick their asses). I’m too old to fight and to old (wiser) to put up with it again. Cheer on the team and let get a “w”. Go Utes!!

dwainegf
      Ute Fan
      @dwainegf

My Dad gave me a bumper sticker one time that said: ” If you’re not the solution, you’re part of the problem.”
      At the time I was disappointed because I didn’t find much humor in it. As I got a bit older, I started to realize that this was a very profound statement. I think maybe it applies here. Be the solution. If you don’t want a sea of blue at the game, buy a ticket. Wringing your hands about something really doesn’t solve much. In fact, I think it makes you more like those fans you don’t want at your home game.
      For those wondering, I have season tickets and attend most of the men’s and women’s basketball games. Both these season tickets are very affordable, and the entertainment provided for the dollar is pretty high.
      My 2 cents.
      Go Utes!!!!

Jim Vanderhoof
        Ute Fan
        @jvhoofs

I agree 100%. Scoreboard is another solution. My dad always said “ respect is earned not a given”.

utefansince79
      Ute Fan
      @utefansince79

The visitors wearing blue have very much tried my patience and tolerance their last few visits. When they are ahead on the scoreboard, they get very arrogant.

About a decade ago, they were well in control by halftime. During the break, coach Whittingham and a few of his players came onto the floor to encourage Utah fans to attend the upcoming bowl games, and the Cougar fans started booing and heckling him drowning out the cheers from the home fans. I turned around to confront a few of them sitting behind us and told them Kyle was one of the best linebackers to ever play for their school and they should be more respectful to him.

I’ll try to be nice to all visitors today, and win or lose, I’ll compliment any who are close to me for a good game and wish them good luck in their conference play. Will simply note that sometimes it’s difficult to be a good sport when you lose, but it really should be easy to show good sportsmanship when you are enjoying a victory, something many of our visitors from Provo have failed completely at in recent years.

Jim Vanderhoof
        Ute Fan
        @jvhoofs

I wish both sides would be more respectful. Especially if you’re a guest! You get a bunch of students together and it becomes a s**t show.

Tony (admin)
        Admin/Founder
        @admin

When they are ahead on the scoreboard, they get very arrogant.

^^this is the way of the zoobs

utefansince79
      Ute Fan
      @utefansince79

I guess one thing to remember is most of the rowdiest spectators in blue in the upper bowl are students and young enough to be my grandchildren. I certainly was more loud and boisterous 4 decades ago when I was in college than I am now.

Charlie
      Ute Fan
      @charlie

For 35 years I had a season football tickets at the Y to go to 1 game every other year and sold the others to family. I also had BB tickets on the 3rd row there for what use to be 1 game a year in the same fashion. Of course, we have had UofU football and BB tickets forever. I feel I have a masters degree in the rivalry. Clearly, I feel Utah fans are more welcoming. What may surprise many is Utah has many more football and basketball fans at their events. However, the Y packs the rest of the venues with a great number of kids and random folks (not sports fans) that actually don’t even know the rules for the games. We really should follow their lead and pack the Hunty with youth groups above the concourse for free.

Viewing 11 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Basketball (Men) Runnin’ Utes vs. Turds down south