Say what you want about Rising.

Viewing 3 reply threads

Larry B
      Ute Fan
      @larryb

He’s had games this year where he’s been wildly inconsistent (probably due to injury), but he’s all heart. He proves that he loves this team and he’ll give everything he has to win. When he nearly had his head separated from his body and popped back up with a smile on his face, he gained all of my respect. I’m going to miss that.

And BTW, that was more of a targeting call than I’ve seen from other “confirmed” calls this year.

ProudUte
      Ute Fan
      @proudute

I agree with everything you posted.

Charlie
      Ute Fan
      @charlie

It looked like the defender’s helmet contacted Rising’s facemask sending the helmet flying. How that hit sent the helmet so far without impacting his face is a wonder. I thought the facemask was part of the helmet. It was also a secondary player cleaning up an initial hit which is often not viewed well by refs.

EagleMountainUte
        Ute Fan
        @battlegroundute

https://youtu.be/oq5ckGkQ5ZU

He wasn’t defenseless because he was a runner…Which hasn’t mattered at times. I think there was one where JJ got hit and they confirmed it. 

I like the new rule but somehow it leaves it up to subjective interpretation still. Which I don’t get. 

I really hope the conference gets new officials. They all suck. 

PlainsUte
        Ute Fan
        @plainsute

Definitely a gray area, because the crown of the helmet is what contacted the facemask and knocked his helmet off, but the defender had turned his head and the hit to the body was more with the shoulder, so he technically wasn’t “leading” with the helmet.

EagleMountainUte
          Ute Fan
          @battlegroundute

Well I think it comes down to intent maybe?  Is that part of the rule?  He sure did intend on blowing up Rising. 
          I prefer Rugby technique tackling. It has lead to a lot less injuries related to CTE. The data is interesting in NZ when they have shifted away from BLOW up plays. 
          We all like the blow up boom hits. In fact we have “mayhem” from Progressive sponsor the hits. It is a cultural change though if we want to reduce CTE. Honestly more dangerous hits are the ones where they pile drive the head into the ground.  

chinngiskhaan
      Ute Fan
      @chinngiskhaan

the defenders helmet clearly went right into Rising’s facemask and then bounced off to the side. It’s not hard to see… Is that targeting though? Not sure the guy had any way of knowing where Risings head was going to be, he was just trying to make a hit.

Also, I think a helmet to facemask hit is probably less dangerous than a helmet to the side of a helmet hit.

Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Say what you want about Rising.