Single season rushing touchdown record

Viewing 2 reply threads

Warrior Ute
      Ute Fan
      @warriorute

I was looking at the rushing touchdown records.  According to wikipedia the Utah Single season record is 15 held by two people:

John White – 2011

Zach Moss – 2019

Right now, with 3 games to go, Tavion Thomas is tied for 3rd with 14 (Marty Johnson, 2004). 

Tavion didn’t start as RB1 and was held out some due to his dropsies.  I knew he was doing well, but was very surprised to see how close he is to setting that kind of record. I guess I am starting to understand why Kyle talked him up so much before the season.

Central Coast Ute
      Ute Fan
      @flip2848

So he only needs two more to set the record? He’ll probably get that next week.

5 1

EagleMountainUte
        Ute Fan
        @battlegroundute

Four more please

Wes
          Ute Fan
          @utahmanw

I’d like 5. I’m greedy. I’d like him to beat the single game and single season record in the same game.

ayoriver
      Ute Fan
      @ayoriver

He had 8 tuddies in the last two games, so that doesn’t seem that surprising

MDUte
        Ute Fan
        @mdute

Do you guys think that Tavion stays more fresh during games since we are taking the committee approach with Pledger and Bernard?

I really like how this is working this year. Each of them have brought something different but effective. Tavion is getting the bulk of the carries but it doesn’t seem like we are running him into the ground like we’ve done in the past with other bell cows.

I don’t know…it seems like the coaches have said the ideal is to have 1 bell cow who gets 25-30 carries/game. But it’s sure been nice having a great stable of backs this year. And next year, it will be interesting to see what happens with Parks and Glover.

EagleMountainUte
          Ute Fan
          @battlegroundute

Hard to keep guys like Moss or Booker off the field.

MDUte
            Ute Fan
            @mdute

I agree. Do you think Moss and Booker would’ve been even more effective if they had someone like Tavion spelling them at times for 5 – 10 carries/game? I’m not advocating for this BTW, just curious.

EagleMountainUte
              Ute Fan
              @battlegroundute

It is very much an old NFL mentality to just grind your RB down. Booker liked the workload and if I remember correctly so did Moss.

The key for a lot of guys who want to play in the NFL at RB is they need carries. I forget what the metric is but you have to be around 50 touches or so without a FUMBLE. Now this really hurts TT. You have to demonstrate handling a workload by not putting it on the ground. Unfortunately for the position depending on where you go you will carry the load.

It would have been very different with Ty Jordan. We would have seen him in most of the game.

TT seems to be very effective with this new line and when he goes north and south quickly. When he spins around going into the fray and dances he is all over with the football. 

MDUte
                Ute Fan
                @mdute

Makes sense. Well with that said, I wonder if the objective for next year is to have Tavion carrying the full workload. And if so, I’d imagine we will likely lose Pledger and maybe Bernard to the portal.

Warrior Ute
        Ute Fan
        @warriorute

When I saw that the number is 15 and he had 8 in the last two games it does not seem surprising.  It is just with our history of great running backs the fact that he is that close to the record already was surprising.

4 7

therealu
        Ute Fan
        @therealu

Dear @Admin

A gripe with this forum is the weird down vote culture with zero accountability. 

No reason for this to be downvoted. 

Either show who downvoted or do away with thumbs up/down

Central Coast Ute
          Ute Fan
          @flip2848

Someone seems to have it out for EMU. He gets down voted no matter what he says. It doesn’t seem to bother him though. I mean why would it? Don’t take it to heart if someone down votes, it’s just how the internet works.

5 1

EagleMountainUte
            Ute Fan
            @battlegroundute

It sustains me honestly. A few times I downvote myself. I was just curious on a particular discussion why they disagreed. I will downvote and then comment in a discussion.  Or sometimes just Block if it is troll behavior. 

GameForAnyFuss
          Ute Fan
          @gameforanyfuss

Or maybe don’t hang your sense of self-worth on the ratio you’re getting from complete strangers on a message board.

Viewing 2 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Single season rushing touchdown record