So jealous that Utah gets to go to the Rose Bowl while my team goes to the

Viewing 3 reply threads

Ted Lasso
      Ute Fan
      @tedlasso

boring Independence Bowl 🙁

But I love Utah’s chances against Ohio State. Would y’all say this would be the greatest win in program history?

And hopefully Utah takes this momentum into next year and takes the next step: Playoffs

CincyUte
      Ute Fan
      @cincyute

Ah, the Independence Bowl.  The crawdaddy of ’em all!

CincyUte
        Ute Fan
        @cincyute

C’mon you guys.  That was funny!

Utesbyfive
          Ute Fan
          @utesbyfive

It was. I LOLed.

CincyUte
            Ute Fan
            @cincyute

I’m glad some people enjoy quality humor.

Feel free to use it if you’d like.

Central Coast Ute
      Ute Fan
      @flip2848

Thanks for coming by. Personally, I still put the Sugar Bowl win as the greatest. MWC Utah had no business beating Bama but they did. Utah is definitely better than Oregon. I have seen some fans say this is the best win in program history and it’s hard to argue against it, that’s just the way I see it.

A Rose Bowl win would be #1 to me no matter who the Utes play.

If I’m not mistaken, there is still hope for a NY6 Bowl for BYU isn’t there?

4 3

ALUF
        Ute Fan
        @dbgii77

Totally a chance for the Cougars to get in the fiesta/peach bowl

I’d still say alabama was the biggest win because it meant the entrance into the Pac-12. However if we win the rose bowl against Iowa/Ohio state, that takes number one for me. I grew up in the Midwest so to have Utah win the rose bowl against the big ten champ or my childhood team (the buckeyes) would be everything.
        Great time for our state with USU winning the title and our Utes..oh and OP’s Cougars too

Italy88
          Ute Fan
          @itacoatiara22

No. There is no chance. Anyone that has paid attention to college football knows that.

PhiladelphiaUte
        Ute Fan
        @philadelphiaute

There is absolutely ZERO chance of them getting one.  Zoobs think there is, but that’s because they don’t understand how these games are given out.

With Ala beating UGa, and Cincy beating Hou, and Mich on pace to beat Iowa, those 4 teams will play in the CFP (Cotton & Orange).

Since Ala will be in the CFP, the Sugar Bowl is contractually obligated to fall to the next highest SEC school, which is UGa, but since they’re going to the CFP poll, it’ll fall to Ole’ Miss.

If Mich beats Iowa (and as of 10pm EST, it sure looks that way), Mich will also play in the CFP, which means their Rose Bowl will be contractually obligated to fall to the next highest BigTen team — which would be Ohio St.

Cincy is a virtual lock to go to the CFP, but even if N Dame slips ahead of them, they’ll still lock up the designated “midmajor” NY6 bowl.  There is no contractual obligation to give that NY6 bowl to another conference champion should Cincy go to the CFP.

N Dame, and Mich St are both already ahead of the tdS, and since none of them will play another game until their respective bowl games, they’ll stay ahead.  There are 2 at-large NY6 bowls this year — Peach and Fiesta — and ND and MSU will fill 2 of those slots.

The winner of the Pitt-WF game is contractually obligated to fill one of the 2 remaining at-large bids.

Since Bylr upset Okla St, they’re a lock for the Sugar Bowl.  And since Okla St was ranked #5 in the most recent CFP poll, a narrow loss to the #9 team in the country, in a CCG won’t drop them low enough to fall behind ybU.  So Okla St will fill the remaining at-large bid.

And Utah will get the Rose.

So whether or not Utah, Pitt/WF, or Iowa — in the unlikely chance they upset Mich — need to pass the tdS in the final CFP poll to get into one, because they’re contractually mandated.  

There can be only 4 teams playing in the CFP, and 8 in the remaining 4 NY6 games.

CFP:  Ala, Mich, UGa, Cincy

NY6 (5 contractual):  Bylr, Miss, Ohio St, Pitt/WF, Utah

NY6 (3 at-large):  N Dame, Okla St, Mich St

And that’s “bowl” math.

Central Coast Ute
          Ute Fan
          @flip2848

That makes sense PhiladelphiaUte. Thanks for clearing that up

Redblood
      Ute Fan
      @redblood

BTW – What would you say is BYU’s biggest win?

PhiladelphiaUte
        Ute Fan
        @philadelphiaute

Their biggest win was not having to play Utah after we’d switched to Cameron Rising.

Ted Lasso
        Ute Fan
        @tedlasso

Probably beating a 6-6 Michigan team to win the national championship haha. 

I don’t know though, this year’s Utah team might be the best they have ever beaten in terms of how the team finished the season. BYU was very very lucky to play them at the beginning of the season.

I’m still waiting on BYU to have a huge, signature win in a NY6 bowl though. 

Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football So jealous that Utah gets to go to the Rose Bowl while my team goes to the