So this is going to date me, but I had a funny memory come to mind

Viewing 7 reply threads

pedro
      Ute Fan
      @pedro

When I first started at the U, we weren’t good. Fassel was the coach and football was the furthest thing from my mind while attending that 1st quarter (spring qtr). On a day much like today, cold and drizzly, I was walking from the car to class with my roommate and noticed on the north endzone scoreboard (that you could see from S Campus drive) they were displaying names. I asked my roomy who the people were whose name were being displayed. He explained to me they were the new football recruits that had signed on. I remember distinctly asking if any of them were any good. He said, “no, not really. Only one is considered good, a QB from Spanish Fork” (Mitchell).

That fall I think they won 5 games. I didn’t follow nor care, seemingly no one else on campus did either. Basketball was the sport of choice. But over the course of the that fall and the following spring I got to know Scott and few other players on the team. I used to play hoops with a lot of them in the old HYPR building. That fall I now had an sprinkle of interest to see how some of these guys were doing. I attended one game and we got blown out. I had not intention of going back. I was talked into going back for the last game of the year. The 57-28 BYU game. One of my classmates and dare I say friend at the time, (Garland Harris), folded Sean Covey in half in that game which led to a pick 6 by Sam Tsusinga (sp?). The rest of that day is history. My love of the Utes sealed in concrete. The jubilation could never be replicated or replaced.

When I think about how far the program has come in the last 30 something years, it amazes me. We were quite literally the laughing stock of the WAC then. Now, thanks to Fassels O, Mac’s D and personality, Urban’s ingenuity and balls, and last but not least Whit’s leadership and continuity, we have become a national program that is respected and revered.

The Fiesta, Sugar and Rose bowls all were great and I wouldn’t trade them, but nothing replaces your first love, which for me was that crisp fall day in a snow field Rice Stadium watching Scott, EJ and Carl Harry dice BYU’s defense and Edwards, Knox, Harris and Tsusinga pin their ears back on Covey and later Detmer, or EJ getting a high 5 from a BYU cheerleader after scoring a TD, all while throwing snow balls at Lenny “you’ll be pumping my gas’ Gomes who took cheap shot after cheap shot on our RBs and flipped us off every chance he got.

I ran into one of the players on that team earlier this week and I’m glad I did. It’s important to remember where we came from and where we are.

Thanks for letting me share…

The Miami Ute
      Ute Fan
      @themiamiute

The Athletic just recently put out a long piece on, of all people, Scott Mitchell. It’s really worth a read and here it is for those that have an account: Tired of being blamed for Lions’ shortcomings, Scott Mitchell sets the record straight.

One of the most interesting things that I personally found when reading the article is Scott saying that, if he had to do it all over again, he never would have left Miami for the big payday in Detroit. Another interesting thing was how he described his relationship with Barry Sanders as essentially non-existent.

Rick
      Ute Fan
      @utebiquitous

The jubilation that day in the student section was special. Because of the offense, I thought we’d be in the game. What I didn’t expect was the aggression of the defense that day. Thanks for bringing back a sweet memory.

Tony (admin)
        Admin/Founder
        @admin

I was there, in the student section!

utefansince79
      Ute Fan
      @utefansince79

A very happy day which ended a rather long losing streak to that opponent. Putting 57 points on the board was significant, but Tausinga’s rumble into the end zone which put us up 21-0 gave me the feeling that this just might be the day.

ProudUte
      Ute Fan
      @proudute

That was a great game. Everything started to go right for the Utes. A defensive lineman (can’t remember his name) had a pick-6 in that game. Scott Mitchell threw for 390 yards. Utah was in FG range at the end of the game. Some Utes thought we should have kicked a FG so we could have over 60 points.

2008 National Champ
        Ute Fan
        @cptmrgn05

most of us were chanting “we want Eddie” so that he could set the single game rush TD record that he had tied earlier.

Matt
      Ute Fan
      @mgparker

Scott went to Springville, not Spanish Fork. I was a sophomore at SHS when Scott was a senior.

Utesbyfive
      Ute Fan
      @utesbyfive

I was a student in 88. We were there together. I remember bumping into Mitchell on campus. I wasn’t at that game though unfortunately. I went to a few others that season. It was the first hope we had that things could get better.

Central Coast Ute
      Ute Fan
      @flip2848

I turned 7 years old two weeks after this game. I remember watching as much of it as I could with my dad. He was super excited, and that’s my first memory of being a Ute fan. Great post, Pedro.

Viewing 7 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football So this is going to date me, but I had a funny memory come to mind