So what is your favorite Utah/BYU game?

Viewing 12 reply threads

ProudUte
      Ute Fan
      @proudute

For me, it was 1978.  We were getting demolished every year by BYU at that time.  The games were not close.  In 1977, BYU put Marc Wilson back into the game late with a huge lead to break some NCAA record for passing yards. On top of all that BYU was gaining some national attention.  Utah’s 4 previous seasons went 1-10, 1-10, 3-8 and 3-8.  We had been horrible.  Coach Howard was starting to turn things around.

We fell behind early 16-0.  Late in the game Utah still trailed 22-17.  It was 4th and goal at the 19.  A field goal would not help.  Gomez completed a pass to Henry for the TD.  We went for two and missed.  Final score 23-22.  It was a great day to be a Ute.  We held Jim McMahon to 15-38 passing, possibly his worst passing game in college.

My second favorite was a decade later after 9 consecutive losses to BYU (mostly blowouts).  BYU had dominated us in every possible way on the football field.  Scott Mitchell came out and went 21-30 for 384 yards and destroyed BYU 57-28.  What an amazing day!  That was the beginning of the change in the rivalry.  The back to back 34-31 games in 93/94 totally changed the rivalry.

What is your favorite Utah/BYU game?

ALUF
      Ute Fan
      @dbgii77

Mine was my first one that I went to which was 2005…I was in the 6th grade and it was awesome seeing us play the fight song during their senior blanket thing after the game

EagleMountainUte
      Ute Fan
      @battlegroundute

That year we didn’t play them. 

ProudUte
        Ute Fan
        @proudute

Funny.

EagleMountainUte
          Ute Fan
          @battlegroundute

You know it will be nice to get to nine then ten. That will be the all time streak right?  I believe that will finally end the rivalry.  Which is a good thing. They are turds. 

Tony (admin)
            Admin/Founder
            @admin

9 I’m confident with. 10 not too sure. Going to lose a LOT of great players after this season.

ALUF
        Ute Fan
        @dbgii77

2005 not 2015

ProudUte
          Ute Fan
          @proudute

He was saying that he liked it when we didn’t play them.  He was not referencing your post.

Brettski
      Ute Fan
      @brettski

Mine has to be the first 34-31 game. I was born in the early 80s so all I knew was the yearly beat down Utah received.

I remember watching the kick in my basement on an old console tv and running through the house cheering.

The next day on the playground things began to change haha. It was a great 3 years.

Central Coast Ute
        Ute Fan
        @flip2848

Second your post verbatim. I was too young to pay much attention to the Scott Mitchell blow out game but the first 34-31 will always be a fond memory.

Duhwayne
      Ute Fan
      @duhwayne

Although 1988 was pretty fun as a high school student in the MUSS (shout out to the Pi Phi group who decided young and innocent was cute), I’m hoping next year is the 10th in a row so we can turn our focus to USC and ASU as people to dislike, and to the Buffs as a “rival” with whom we make the annual Rocky Mountain C**ktailgate Party. We have spent wayyyy too long in a forced playdate with the neighorhood homeschooled kid. Bully him a little more and maybe he’ll stop demanding we be friends. 

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

57-28

BD
      Ute Fan
      @flyfisherman

54-10.

Funny thing is, I didn’t watch that game live. For some stupid reason, I thought Utah would lose that game, so we decided to do something else instead. My wife and I decided to go to Rocky Mountain Raceway that night, and I would record the Utah/BYU game and watch it later when we got home if Utah won. Well, we heard about the blow-out during the races, and I was so wishing I was home watching it instead. It was fun watching the recording of it, but watching a game as it happens is so much more enjoyable. Dang. I still regret that.

We need another 54-10.

ironman1315
        Ute Fan
        @ironman1315

That was my first rivalry game I watched with my then girlfriend and future wife. She’s s big BYU fan. Good times.

2013 was fun as I got to watch the game in their student section. Good times.

But I really think 04 was my favorite. That’s my first rivalry game where I was a) oldvenough to understand and b) emotionally invested.

BD
          Ute Fan
          @flyfisherman

That 2013 game has one of my favorite Ute moments in the rivalry. Check this out – when Utah went up 13-0, was when we knew it was going to be a win. In the video here, you see the touchdown play, and Travis Wilson flashes the U sign to BYU fans. That along with ESPN’s brilliant move of playing that Parachute (Higher) song was perfect – I love that song. Brilliant moment!

Gary Sapp
      Ute Fan
      @uofuman

2010. Yes we have beaten them much more soundly, but after losing the close one the year before and to have crushed the hopes of their miracle working new quarterback (Heaps) was sooooo sweet.

And those last second ‘snatching victory from the jaws of defeat’ are massively uplifting AND horribly crushing to the opponents.

Plus it started the current streak.

UtemanUtefan
        Ute Fan
        @utemanutefan

This is mine as well, very close game, all the way to the last play and to win like that.

We shouted very loudly in the bar and were probably the only 2 people in there watching this particular game (in Denver.)

Johnny80
      Ute Fan
      @johnny80

1988. It was the first season I witnessed I person. I remember losing my voice. It was so awesome going back to school Monday and finally being able to gloat about a win after years of hearing how awesome tds was.

UM4G
      Ute Fan
      @um4g

I can’t decide on a favorite of all time, but 2018’s makes a pretty good case for me – 7 years of losing and they think it’s finally over, they’ve been given hope, then Utah roars back to life and snatches it away. Doesn’t get much more soul crushing than that.

Central Coast Ute
        Ute Fan
        @flip2848

I like your reasoning. It was just too much for my heart and blood pressure to handle.

utefansince79
      Ute Fan
      @utefansince79

Always will be 1993. Winning in Provo for the first time in over 20 years was the turning point in the rivalry.

bopahull
      Ute Fan
      @bopahull

There have been soo many since my first back in 1958, most of them way too close.

Being at Ute fan through most of the 70s and 80s was a challenge. That’s why I really enjoyed last years 4th quarter come back.To watch the hope and joy in cougar fan’s faces turn to total despair was delicious. 

Tacoma Ute
      Ute Fan
      @tacomaute

1988. That was a beautiful day.

Viewing 12 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football So what is your favorite Utah/BYU game?