Social media has allowed us to attack anyone and everything

Viewing 4 reply threads

ProudUte
      Ute Fan
      @proudute

We have a very good family friend who is on BYU’s coaching staff.  The attacks on each coach have been ruthless and often very mean.  These guys are just people like us and they have a spouse, children, parents, etc.

I have been one who has attacked coaches in the past.  I wanted Mac to leave.  I liked him and hoped he would leave on his own terms, but I felt we needed a change.  I made my feelings public.  The attacks on BYU’s coaching staff hit close to home with at least one coach, but also Kilani (who I like).  

I am retired, but I held a very public position at one time in my career.  The media was often off base and it hurt when attacks were made.  I was not in a position where I could defend myself or my staff.  I loved my job, but I hated being in the public eye.  An anonymous letter once came in, saying I should be let go because I hated BYU and no one should be in my position who hated BYU.  (The truth is – I do not hate or even dislike BYU, I just don’t like their football program much).

It’s hard being a fan.  We see things that we believe we could do better.  We all seem to want to be Alabama and dominate virtually every game.  Being a coach has got to be extremely difficult.  You are coaching and teaching 18-22 year-old kids.  Everything you do is highly scrutinized.  I have sat at many a game and heard fans say something about the offensive play calling.  I have responded, that these guys are not idiots, they see and know 10 times more than I will ever know.

I have been critical of Utah coaches at times.  I am not always fond of KW’s conservative style.  I am more aggressive by nature.  However, I do not question his knowledge of the game.

Events of the last few weeks, have convinced me to step back.  I will no longer attack any coach in public forums.  As fans – we have a right to be disappointed in the outcome of games and even disagree with decisions made.  However, ruthless, mean-spirited attacks are not necessary IMO.

Go Utes!!!

Italy88
      Ute Fan
      @itacoatiara22

Social media as a whole is detrimental to society (in my opinion). I closed all social media (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram etc.) accounts down three or four years ago. Have never looked back. For me, it’s been a great move. Too many people think they are super tough behind a keyboard.

EagleMountainUte
      Ute Fan
      @battlegroundute

Social media has been a terrible human experiment. I for one am sick of it. I try very hard to not participate. I do enjoy memes that make me laugh about life on Instagram. I also have a dank sense of humor to say the least. I am one to enjoy the recent controversial Chappelle show.  

I joked about Sitakes head being on the line all season. TDS has also done better than what I thought. Once Williams went down though they stood no chance. They need to join a conference and do what it takes to keep Sitake. They also need to hire a competent offensive coordinator. Sitake may be too much like Whitt though for his own good.  In the meantime I enjoy Holmoe and love independence as a Utah fan. Usu being Utah’s biggest threat in the state is great for our program. 

RedLine
      Ute Fan
      @redline

Dont disagree.  I like Sitake and don’t wish ill on him or his family.  But a small segment of every fanbase goes over the top when teams lose.  On one hand it is a public position so it’s open to scrutiny. On the other hand some of the worst and most egregious offenders are blind to perspective in sports involving their favorite team  

That said, BYU seems to have a lot of persecution and entitement in their fanbase’s identity which is  a very bad mix forf a team that had been mediocre at best since going independent.

5 1

SUUte
      Ute Fan
      @garrstew

Social media has single handily ruined the world.

Tony (admin)
        Admin/Founder
        @admin

And when people leave Facebook, Twitter and social media in general, Ute Hub will still be here. 🙂

Italy88
          Ute Fan
          @itacoatiara22

Lol. As I typed that, I thought, “I guess I am posting about having left social media on a social media forum.”

Tony (admin)
            Admin/Founder
            @admin

“Social media” to me means FB, twitter, instagram. 

utefansince79
              Ute Fan
              @utefansince79

More than one Ute athlete has had to close off their facebook/twitter/instagram account(s) to get away from negative/hostile messages.    Rather unfortunate.

Viewing 4 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Misc Social media has allowed us to attack anyone and everything