State records panel trying to protect TSPP and hurt Utah

Viewing 11 reply threads

NarfUte
      Ute Fan
      @narfute

NIL disclosure for public universities

They’re going to make Utah (and the other public schools) furnish NIL amounts/providers for athletes and of course the private universities’ athletes are protected.

I hope the schools appeal the decision – Are we going to be able to GRAMA request any non-athlete student’s income?

chinngiskhaan
      Ute Fan
      @chinngiskhaan

I had the same thoughts. Why does the Deseret News feel the need to get these contracts anyway? The NIL contracts have hardly anything to do with the schools themselves, why is it any business of the Deseret news’ to see that information?

chinngiskhaan
      Ute Fan
      @chinngiskhaan

This should be appealed. I’m not sure whether it harms the UofU to have this stuff public, but it just doesn’t feel right that it should be public.

I’m sure this will end up in an actual court of law relatively soon.

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

NIL is so wild wild west. I don’t see why players should have to divulge their income as long as it isn’t directly from the school.

——-
      Support Ute Hub! – Donate via gofundme or Venmo!

2008 National Champ
        Ute Fan
        @cptmrgn05

Once again, the problem is the NCAA. They are forcing the schools to verify compliance so the players have to divulge their contracts to their schools. Which then means that Player contracts that by definition have nothing to do with the school now become available through the public records ruling.

chinngiskhaan
      Ute Fan
      @chinngiskhaan

this is all you need to know to see their motivations behind the suit.

“This will allow the public to better understand these deals and whether Utah’s universities are performing their public function in monitoring them for compliance with NCAA eligibility rules,” he said after the more-than-two-hour hearing that included the committee going into closed session to consult with its attorney before rendering a decision.

“You can’t have accountability without transparency, and the records committee ruling will allow for a lot more sunshine on this important issue,”

They are p**sed that Ute players got new trucks, and TSPP players got teabagged by TCU.

This is a fishing expedition

chinngiskhaan
      Ute Fan
      @chinngiskhaan

Here is the stated legislative purpose of Utah’s Government Records Access and Management Act:

“63G-2-102. Legislative intent.
      (1) In enacting this act, the Legislature recognizes two constitutional rights:
      (a) the public’s right of access to information concerning the conduct of the public’s business; and
      (b) the right of privacy in relation to personal data gathered by governmental entities.
      (2) The Legislature also recognizes a public policy interest in allowing a government to restrict access to certain records, as specified in this chapter, for the public good.
      (3) It is the intent of the Legislature to:
      (a) promote the public’s right of easy and reasonable access to unrestricted public records;
      (b) specify those conditions under which the public interest in allowing restrictions on access to records may outweigh the public’s interest in access;
      (c) prevent abuse of confidentiality by governmental entities by permitting confidential treatment of records only as provided in this chapter;
      (d) provide guidelines for both disclosure and restrictions on access to government records, which are based on the equitable weighing of the pertinent interests and which are consistent with nationwide standards of information practices;
      (e) favor public access when, in the application of this act, countervailing interests are of equal weight; and
      (f) establish fair and reasonable records management practices.”

I don’t see anything that justifies this bulls**t decision. I don’t think it’s a huge deal either, and I don’t know how these provisions have historically been interpreted, but this doesn’t feel right.

Charlie
      Ute Fan
      @charlie

I am fine with development of rules related to NIL. However, personal information does not need to be public. The DN only wants it because they know it would be of interest by readers. That does not make it right.

Along the same thought, the public needs to have more information about the media industry because of its influence. They should publish the names of all employees, their salary and require each employee to report income from all sources so we can understand their agenda as media employees. A simple acid test to determine if their request is fair.

belli1976
      Ute Fan
      @belli1976

Does this mean Sitake’s contract should be public like Whit’s?

The rub is to me, is if NIL income makes the student and employee of the state. If yes, then it should be disclosed. If no, than no it should not be disclosed. Since NIL is coming from private individuals, I do not think it needs to be disclosed.

Maybe simple thoughts, but home I see it.

chinngiskhaan
        Ute Fan
        @chinngiskhaan

Simple? Sure, but you pretty much nailed the issue here. Are the players employees of the state, or are they private citizens doing private business deals? If they are employees of the state (I don’t see it that way, because the university isn’t part of the deals), then certain aspects of their contracts should be public. If they are just people doing business as they see fit, then GRAMA is there to protect their rights, not force them to make their private business dealings public.

I would imagine the companies they are making deals with will not be happy about this.

NarfUte
        Ute Fan
        @narfute

Yeah that’s exactly it, Sitake’s salary shouldn’t be made public for the same reasons these deals shouldn’t me made public. They are deals made with private entities.
        My wife’s salary is published online because she’s an employee at UU Health – If she had other income via the private sector, that’s not, and shouldn’t be, publicly available.

EagleMountainUte
      Ute Fan
      @battlegroundute

Don’t know if it hurts Utah. Seems like a waste of time as long as the university discloses their finances all private matters are just that private.

Duhwayne
      Ute Fan
      @duhwayne

BYU isn’t subject to the same requirements as a private institution. That said, if church members realized that BYU was the highest expense item in the church budget don’t you think there would be more scrutiny among the members?

This part of the quote is my favorite:

“This will allow the public to better understand these deals and whether Utah’s universities are performing their public function in monitoring them for compliance with NCAA eligibility rules,” he said after the more-than-two-hour hearing that included the committee going into closed session to consult with its attorney before rendering a decision.

“You can’t have accountability without transparency, and the records committee ruling will allow for a lot more sunshine on this important issue,”

Utah government is such a joke about public records. We need the communications and info of any public affiliated player we want but don’t ask us to disclose what those of us who make such a rule said or decided when we acted to force their disclosures.

chinngiskhaan
        Ute Fan
        @chinngiskhaan

Exactly. This is nothing more than them hoping to catch Utah players (or the University) doing something against the rules. There is no other incentive for doing this. How local companies choose to advertise their company is nobody’s business but their own. This doesn’t protect anyone’s rights, it invades the rights of Utah residents.

Nothing beneficial is gained from getting the details of these contracts.

1 3

Utah
      Ute Fan
      @utah

Typical Republicans and their obsession with big government. That is all they are. “Do ThIngS mY WaY oR I ForCe YoU wItH GoveRNmeNt!

F**king Fascists.

EagleMountainUte
        Ute Fan
        @battlegroundute

Wow tribalism. As if there is a difference anymore!
        All tribalism accomplishes is allowing division which is what they want. Be better.

CityCreekUte
      Ute Fan
      @citycreekute

Asinine. Good to see precedent already in favor of the schools.

Viewing 11 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football State records panel trying to protect TSPP and hurt Utah