The great thing about this defense is

Viewing 3 reply threads

chinngiskhaan
      Ute Fan
      @chinngiskhaan

It isn’t dependent on any one player. Our great defenses in the past have all hinged on one player staying healthy. This defense is different. If we lost Barton or Bishop (both amazing players) our defense would still be dominant. Every one of our starters is good enough to be All Pac-12, and their backups are as well for the most part.

THAT is IMO what makes this defense so freaking good. We have multiple great players in every position.

In the past if we lost a Weddle, Lloyd, Johnson, or Blackmon we would have been exposed. Our defense this year is good enough to compensate for such a loss. Heck, we’ve been dominant and our defense hasn’t been close to 100% healthy at any point so far this season.

UteHorn21
      Ute Fan
      @utehorn21

I caught the Utes game in Waco a few weeks back and was very impressed with Levani Damuni. Dude was all over the field making plays. Him and Barton were fun to watch.

DataUte
      Ute Fan
      @scotwaye

This defense is nasty, but I still think we have to see how they do against Williams, Nix, Penix. I think the line puts decent pressure on them, but we are probably going to get burnt a few times. Hopefully damage is limited in bend but don’t break fashion and limit passing yards/TDs below their average or pick up an INT or two.

5 1

RedRocks
        Ute Fan
        @hypodactylus

This is my biggest concern about the defense. Utah’s pass coverage has looked really bad at times, especially deep. I think as soon as they face a good QB who can throw downfield, Utah will be in trouble if the offense can’t sustain drives and score points.

I am not convinced that Oregon State is that team. I am not saying Utah will for sure win, but I think it will be close. If we were playing Oregon or Washington this week, I think we would be in big trouble.

Central Coast Ute
          Ute Fan
          @flip2848

Yep CB’s are the weak spot. UCLA had several dropped passes that should have been caught. If a few of those were completed, it’s a different game.

AlohaUte
          Ute Fan
          @alohaute

This is a constant in the Whitt / Scalley defenses. The pass defense is bend don’t break and that leaves us exposed. If we can’t get pressure on the QB we’ll get torched.

NarfUte
      Ute Fan
      @narfute

Crazy Stat- through 4 games the Utes have allowed 204 rush yards (3rd in the nation behind Nebraska and Miami) 3 of those 4 are power 5 teams including 1 who was averaging 8+ yds a carry.

Ghost of the HEB
        Ute Fan
        @deseretgentlman

It’s clear we can control the LOS, which is why we’re 4-0. Just not sure what happens when we face teams where the LOS won’t matter as much (SC, UO, UW).

ProudUte
          Ute Fan
          @proudute

UW and USC do not have good running games so Scalley can focus on the pass. Oregon, however, can run and pass. The Oregon game will not be easy for our defense.

bopahull
            Ute Fan
            @bopahull

When has Scalley’s or Whit’s defenses ever not tried to stop the run first and foremost?

Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football The great thing about this defense is