The over/under from Vegas seems a bit high to me.

Viewing 10 reply threads
      3 1

ProudUte
      Ute Fan
      @proudute

As of this morning, Utah is a 13.5 point favorite this Saturday (also seems high). The over/under is 45.5. This suggests a score of about 29-16. I think we can keep Cal to 16 or fewer points, but can the Utes score 29? We have only done that once against Weber and they are not a good team this year.

I am not a gambler, but if I was I would take the under.

3 3

The Miami Ute
      Ute Fan
      @themiamiute

I agree. Seems unlikely unless the Utes pick up a couple of defensive scores or get a couple of turnovers that put them in good offensive positions.

1 1

Ghost of the HEB
        Ute Fan
        @deseretgentlman

Yeah, the offense only put up 24 on Weber. That’s when I knew we were in trouble for any road game going forward. Can’t hold good teams to 7 points on their home fields.

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

This is the week we see the offensive explosion with NJ at the helm! LFG!!!

Jim Vanderhoof
      Ute Fan
      @jvhoofs

Cal started a red shirt freshman against OSU. He played ok at home with a small crowd. He has not played in a hostile environment yet. Freshman QBs have not fared well RES.

I’m sure the odds makers know this fact and the Utes will be hungry to avenge their loss at home.

Million dollar question is how will our offense respond? Odds makers guess is no better than ours.

3 2

ProudUte
        Ute Fan
        @proudute

I agree that a young QB playing against our D with a loud and hostile crowd – will be a challenge. However, he played much better than okay. He led his team to 40 points against a team that held us to 7. I was impressed with him and how he kept his cool under pressure.

utefansince79
      Ute Fan
      @utefansince79

Under seems like a safe bet, but perhaps Bishop can have a pair of pick-sixes and Johan a scoop/score to help put points on the board.

2008 National Champ
        Ute Fan
        @cptmrgn05

gotta admit, I have no idea who Johan is. Auto correct for Tafuna?

bopahull
      Ute Fan
      @bopahull

If our defense pitches a shutout and we get a defensive TD, we stand a reasonable chance of covering the spread.

Jim Vanderhoof
      Ute Fan
      @jvhoofs

We shall see Saturday. My guess(as good as anyone’s)is that we figure out a way to get the ball downfield to our play makers. Play action and take a few chances deep to keep the defense honest.

NJ needs to make good decisions and run for 1st downs. I think we score 30 + this game. Cal couldn’t stop OSU at home. Unless we keep our game plan against UCLA and OSU. Even us idiotic fans know that didn’t work.

3 1

UteBacker
        Ute Fan
        @utebacker

“Unless we keep our game plan against UCLA and OSU.”

I think this is EXACTLY what we’ll do on Saturday. I’ll bet the coaches are confident that we can beat Cal with the offense we have been running, and we just might depending on how our defense does.

2 1

Jim Vanderhoof
      Ute Fan
      @jvhoofs

UteBacker I hope you don’t believe that. I think we see a different mind set. Two weeks to adjust and NJ has a good enough arm to hit open receivers. You assume the coaches and players are satisfied with those two games.

This team is driven and they got a wake up call at OSU. Tough environment for a freshman qb. I see the WR picking it up. They played worse than the qb.

UteBacker
        Ute Fan
        @utebacker

We have some stubborn coaches, Jim. If they think we could beat UCLA (which we did) and Oregon State with that game plan, then certainly they think we can beat Cal with it. By the way, I trust our coaches. They have won the last two conference championships and I think that allows them a little latitude. I’m just guessing they are confident in our ability to take out Cal with the “three yards & a cloud of dust” mentality.

I also think we if we can get JQJ back in relatively decent shape, that it will really open things up for the rest of the offense. I love little Jaylon, but I’m not sure he’s ready for the bright lights yet.

bopahull
          Ute Fan
          @bopahull

As things stand now without JJ, we are lucky to get 2 yards with that cloud of dust.

Jim Vanderhoof
      Ute Fan
      @jvhoofs

Utebacker totally agree with your JJ and little Jaylon takes. He is too small for our style of play. 2 yards and a cloud of dust instead of JJ 4 yards and a bigger cloud of dust.

Where we differ is running on the perimeter and throwing down field can utilize our talent. We have some speed. Cam coming out with the truth about his well being will open the coaches eyes to change. They have no choice. Mindset has changed for the good.

Coaches know what’s ahead and after Cal offense will matter.

2 1

RoboUte
      Ute Fan
      @hamplate

@admin Jim’s posts are falling victim to an ongoing bug where replies to specific comments are wiped while they’re being composed and you’re guided to the bottom of the page to make a reply to the OP.

I’m not sure if you’ve received any reports of this but it is an issue that is progressing.

Tony (admin)
        Admin/Founder
        @admin

Just Jim’s? Are you saying that you are trying to respond to Jim but your response is showing as a response to the original topic at the bottom of the thread? I assume you were on the website and not the mobile app? 

RoboUte
          Ute Fan
          @hamplate

I say just Jim’s because Jim is replying to OP when he means to reply to a specific comment and I can see why, I’ll explain.

If you’ve never gotten a report of this I can tell you how it happens, for me the reproduction rate is 100%. When I hit reply and started typing this reply I got to “I say” and my reply was erased and I was taken to the bottom of the comments where a reply window is open to reply to OP.

To have the bug occur you can just hit reply and wait a few seconds. Anything you typed will be erased and you’ll be taken to the bottom of the comments. If Jim starts typing at that point without knowing he’s no longer replying to the specific comment he’s going to just replying to OP when he clearly didn’t mean to.

The workaround for the bug is simply to scroll back up to where you were and hit reply again, it works on the second time. Though I have had it take three times in rare cases. I am on web, using firefox.

Jim Vanderhoof
            Ute Fan
            @jvhoofs

Thanks Robo. I’ll try to double click reply. Never done a fan board before. I’m sure it’s the user not the site. I’ve really enjoyed all the different opinions. Wish all of us armchair QBs could suit up. We’d be unbeatable. Thanks to all who contribute.

ORute
              Ute Fan
              @grute

Damnit Jim, Im an armchair doctor, not an armchair QB

Tony (admin)
            Admin/Founder
            @admin

I think I understand what you are saying. You may be seeing an input form for a second, and then it disappears and scrolls to the bottom? I hit reply, there was a quick load, then scroll to the bottom where I inputted my reply here. It was properly inserted into the thread. If you want to just reply to the original topic, just scroll to the bottom or hit reply on the original post.

2008 National Champ
          Ute Fan
          @cptmrgn05

Tony – we talked on email last year when I was having the same issue. It’s been great since until the last week when I’ve had a couple of posts reply to OP instead of the post intended. I’m hoping it’s just an issue of the increased traffic the last couple of weeks because I’ve also noticed longer than normal load times when opening up a thread with a lot of posts.

working with a new computer using Chrome

Edit: To clarify, as long as your aren’t the 2nd or third post of the thread, you have to make an effort to reply to the OP. Whereas replying to the post you want to is right in front of you. Unless Jim is scrolling all the way to the top every time he tries to reply to a specific post, he is having the same issue Robo and I have had. Sporadic, but it has happened.

D T
      Ute Fan
      @azute1

Not if our D is on like it was against UCLA. And Cal’s D is suspect, unlike OSU’s at home. Our home-crowd will definitely be a factor.

Viewing 10 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football The over/under from Vegas seems a bit high to me.