Transfer Portal Needs

Viewing 2 reply threads

Zigziggler
      Ute Fan
      @zigziggler

Now that the Forever 22 game has happened and some injuries have happened. What are the positions that can be improved on? Who out there is a realistic possibility to get?

Needs: OL, RB(pound the rock type) Defensive backfield, Linebacker

Possibilities:
      OL- Isaiah Jatta (Colorado)
      RB- Isaiah Newell (Oregon State)
      DB- Davon Banks (Washington)
      LB- Will Shaffer (Utah State)

Tyler Henry
      Ute Fan
      @recruits-utes

Big, big hell no to the OSU RB. The rest is solid. I definitely think we can land a big fish at the RB position.

Zigziggler
        Ute Fan
        @zigziggler

No doubt we could use a big time lead back. But the pay for player concerns me. I mean you have John Emery, Jalen Berger who would look great in our offense. But that $ sets us up not to be in the running. Newell is an option that would bolster our committee, but probably not lead back. Just more of a pound the rock type.

1 1

2008 National Champ
      Ute Fan
      @cptmrgn05

I may be in the minority but I see one of the three RS Freshman backs taking over RB1 by season’s end. I don’t think Utah needs a transfer as much as they need to figure out what they have and move on from any that haven’t shown they can handle the job by now.

There’s just a logjam at the position that won’t be helped by bringing in someone to start. 3 backs in the same class isn’t sustainable in the long term. At some point you use them or lose them and I think a transfer could mean you lose all 3.

Zigziggler
        Ute Fan
        @zigziggler

Absolutely could be right. However for being a traditional RUNNING team, it seems as though only Mitchell is getting the mention of “SURPRISE” player. If that is correct we kind know what we have. That is concerning to me. I hope that we have that lead back on our roster. But the feeling is a committee approach which I don’t necessarily favor. But admittedly could work with our improved WR corps.

2008 National Champ
          Ute Fan
          @cptmrgn05

I’m not at practice so I certainly don’t have any insight other than speculation. At the same time, the RB room is starting to resemble the QB room from a year ago with Charlie Vincent playing the Bryson Barnes role. Cute story but not what you want to have your season riding on.

Bernard has had multiple years to seize the RB1 spot and hasn’t done so. Glover is improving but I’ve never been convinced that he can be a Moss type back who runs through contact and he doesn’t appear to have Booker/White type ability to take the slightest crease and break for big yards. If Vincent is still getting RB3 reps this fall, then I have to wonder if the 2023 class is going to be a washout which I don’t think is the case. One of those 3 has to be capable of flipping the switch this year. Or move Hunter Andrews back to the O.

In any case, I just don’t see RB as a pressing need out of the portal.

MDUte
            Ute Fan
            @mdute

This is looking like a year where the offense is better than our defense and Whitt elects to receive to give the ball to the offense to start games vs starting with defense.

Charlie
            Ute Fan
            @charlie

Lots of smaller, quick I assume, backs. Not a great need, however a short yardage back would be nice. Bernard has had a pitch count hamper him, however when in he is as good a combo, run-block-release back as can be found. Without the limitations he could already have been RB1, lets hope for good health.

Distantute
            Ute Fan
            @distantute

Im higher on glover than most others it seems. Thought he looked good, especially back half. In any event, rb is an easy position to fill. Keep the qb healthy and our rbs will be fine.

Viewing 2 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Transfer Portal Needs