Transfer portal QB’s are the way to go, the Noah Fifita’s are the exception.

Viewing 6 reply threads
      7 1

Ute Dub
      Ute Fan
      @chestercopperpot

P12 QB Rankings

Penix – Transfer, 4 years at Indiana, 2 years at Washington
      Nix – Transfer, 3 years at Auburn, 2 years at Oregon
      Williams – Transfer, 1 year Oklahoma, 2 years USC.
      Uiagalelei – Transfer, 3 years Clemson, 1 year Oregon State.
      Rising – Transfer, Texas to Utah
      Sanders – Transfer, lower league to Colorado.
      Noah Fifita – Not a transfer.

Therefore, we should stop worrying about the Tuttle’s and Costelli’s working out, they are stop gaps, and long shot hopefuls. The top programs in the PAC 12 all have transfer QB’s as starters. The exception being Arizona. I don’t think Utah will be able to recruit top QB’s the first go around, they will need to take the spin offs from bigger programs or from smaller programs with over performing QB’s, the portal is the clear trend.

PhiladelphiaUte
      Ute Fan
      @philadelphiaute

Is Arizona the exception? I though DeLaura transferred in from Wazzu.

Hellhound152
      Ute Fan
      @hellhound152

Noah Fafita may be the happiest accident in College Football recruiting in a decade. Kudos to Fisch for taking a flyer on a 5’8″ QB. Kudos to Fafita for outplaying all of the QB’s on the roster but DeLaura to be 2nd string and then never losing the job after the injury. Further Kudos to Fisch for giving him a legit shot in camp to climb the depth chart in spite of the measurables.

Rick
        Ute Fan
        @rickyrules

I will be shocked if Fafita is as effective next year as he was this year. I think he kind of snuck up on folks this season.

Roy Rangum
      Ute Fan
      @royrangum

The problem with transfer QB’s is they don’t come cheap. The NIL price tag for a good QB from the portal is in the neighborhood of 1-2 million. With our current NIL funding, we won’t be able to go out and get many of those guys. For teams like Utah, in the current NIL landscape it becomes even more imperative to recruit and develop the diamonds in the rough.

Ute Dub
        Ute Fan
        @chestercopperpot

That’s for a top and proven QB. Rising wasn’t proven, Penix wasn’t great before he came to Washington, there’s a lot of high talent that’s unproven and won’t be that high of sticker price IMHO.

lindenska
          Ute Fan
          @lindenska

uh…Penix was unbelievable at Indiana when he was there (and healthy)

Northendzone Ute5
      Ute Fan
      @northendzoneute5

Cameron Rising was a win. We took an L with Jake Bentley and Charlie Brewer.

2 1

Ute Dub
        Ute Fan
        @chestercopperpot

I mostly agree. Bentley was 3-2 as the starter during the Covid year, if I remember correctly.

I was very optimistic after that Covid year knowing we likely had 4 more years of Ty Jordan. 🥲

Xanthis
          Ute Fan
          @xanthis

Bentley was a transfer L, but he was QB 2. Rising was injured against USC early and then Bentley was benched for Drew Lisk in the final game against Wazzu. That final game was so much fun.

Then we got to start 2021 with a new transfer in Brewer, woof.

Utegator
          Ute Fan
          @utegator

You only get 4 years with an RB if they aren’t good enough to go to the NFL.

Central Coast Ute
            Ute Fan
            @flip2848

We had 4 years of Moss. That wasn’t because he was bad either.

Trailgoat
      Ute Fan
      @utahgoat

Looking forward to seeing Rising play his final season at Utah. Finding and developing a top level QB is not easy especially since very few want to put their time in. As some have posted, Rising, Penix, Nix, Ward, Uiagalelei all took time in a system to reach their potential. Penix’s first year at Indiana was 2018. It’s clear, the top college teams have NFL level talent at WR. No way getting around it, Utes need to buck up for better WRs.

concerned
      Ute Fan
      @concerned

I will bet any amount of money that Fifita does not finish his career at Arizona.

Trailgoat
        Ute Fan
        @utahgoat

Yup, same goes for Jedd Fisch. No way Fisch is at UofA after next season. He’s a Florida grad and would be a possible target hire at UF if/when Napier gets canned, which is looking very likely the way UF has been trending.

The Miami Ute
        Ute Fan
        @themiamiute

If you mean college career, then I’d say that he’s going to finish it in Tucson. He’s NFL draft eligible after next season.

concerned
          Ute Fan
          @concerned

Didnt realize that. You could be right, depending on how much NIL money may be offered.

The Miami Ute
            Ute Fan
            @themiamiute

Yes, next year he’ll be RS Sophomore in his third season with the Wildcats. If he continues on an upward tick, he’s a legitimate Heisman candidate ala Johnny Manziel or Kyler Murray. After another great season, the NIL would really have to be substantial for him to chance an injury or a regression in his game.

Utegator
              Ute Fan
              @utegator

Do you think NFL teams are still trying to draft under sized QBs? I feel like that experiment is over.

Rick
                Ute Fan
                @rickyrules

Exactly. I do not see Fafita as an NFL prospect at all. He is smaller than Kyler Murray and has half the speed.

The Miami Ute
                  Ute Fan
                  @themiamiute

I think in the NFL there’s room for anyone that’s dynamic and make plays. Doug Flute was only 5’8′ and he had a long and eventful NFL career. Even Murray is set for life. He looked really decent after he came back from his injury. We’ll see what happens but I definitely feel someone will pick him up.

Viewing 6 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Transfer portal QB’s are the way to go, the Noah Fifita’s are the exception.