Trick plays

Viewing 5 reply threads
      7 1

NashvilleTNUteFan
      Ute Fan
      @nashvilletnutefan

Anybody else noticed that trick plays work on us every single time, but when we try them it works about 1 out of every 10 times? That play colorado scored their first TD on was the same exact play Arizona ran the week before. And I can think of several other trick plays that worked on us this year.

On a different note, the crowd sucked at the beginning of the game but got way better than I expected it to halfway through the 1st quarter. It was pretty much full except for the top of the student section from what I could tell. I froze my berries off, that was a miserable game to be honest.

Glad we ended the season on a W, curious to see what bowl we end up in and who we play. Would like to play a team we’ve never played before. I’m already looking forward to next year, i think we have a great chance of winning the big 12.

As for this season, there’s not much else to say about it that hasn’t already been said. Really strange year. Won’t be a memorable one for me that’s for sure. Beating USC was phenomenal though

The Miami Ute
      Ute Fan
      @themiamiute

I left at halftime. I, like you, was freezing my ass off because of that huge cloud that covered the stadium almost from the first whistle and completely blocked out the sun. It even started snowing in the section I was in. Wasn’t dressed appropriately for the game. I was expecting the temperature to be sunny in the mid-30s and it most definitely was not that.

Utah
      Ute Fan
      @utah

1 – I love Ludwig and I don’t want him to go anywhere and I’ll fight anyone who says otherwise…but he can be predictable. And you kind of know when Ludwig is going to try something different. I mean, are you ever really surprised when he tries a trick play and it fails?

2 – As far as us being burned…I think that is Scalley’s fault, and that is a HUGE compliment. Scalley knows his opponent so well. Tendencies, formations, plays run, etc. Scalley is so prepared that sometimes his defense “knows” what “should” happen and when it’s a trick play…well, we get beat.

I’m ok with that. Like I said, it’s a compliment to Scalley and his preparation.

1 2

DrahtUte
      Ute Fan
      @drahtute

The trick plays must be a lot harder to see when you’re on the field because it’s plain as day what’s about to happen when watching on TV.

At least the defense realized it was happening this time but then they looked like they froze with indecision. Seems like a coaching miss.

2008 National Champ
        Ute Fan
        @cptmrgn05

It’s not a coaching miss when you have three defenders who could have covered the back and he runs past all of them. Reid had him out of the backfield and then stopped. Bishop had deep middle and never moved to provide help. And whoever had deep third to that side neither moved up to attack the screen action or back to pick up a potential deep cross. Just a complete breakdown all around.

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

I think the reason we don’t defend trick plays well is because our D is used to being very aggressive with the rush.

Hellhound152
      Ute Fan
      @hellhound152

No one will like this take but I believe it has merit. Assignment based defenses with assignment sound players are more vulnerable to trick plays. No Ybu fan but Bronco’s defenses were very good with lesser athletes because his guys would do there jobs in part because they couldn’t over reach. They always got killed by trick plays. Earlier in the season when we had all of the stars on each level there was more freedom and the “tricks” didn’t seem as tricky. As the season went on with less experienced players they would do their job, or get lost when the picture changed. Part of playing the D we play is that Utah will give up a cheap one here or there, be it a go route or a trick play. It happens…

Viewing 5 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.