USC doesn’t scare me

Viewing 9 reply threads

ProudUte
      Ute Fan
      @proudute

I thought USC would be better, especially on defense in their second year under LR. But, I was unimpressed with their D and the offense even with all their weapons lacked the potency I expected. Williams looked good, but SJS did put some pressure on him and got a few sacks. USC went out during the off-season and bought the best players they could find. If I heard right – their top 6 defensive linemen all came from other P5 teams via the portal. Maybe they need more time playing together.

It is tough to judge after just one game. SJS may be better than I thought and oftentimes – teams do not play their best ball in game one. But, as of now – USC does not look like a team that will go undefeated.

The Miami Ute
      Ute Fan
      @themiamiute

Look it up. Riley never had dominating defenses at Oklahoma. That was his teams’ undoing whenever they made it to the CFP. Hard to see why it would change now, especially when he’s had the same DC. It’s also possible that maybe those guys that joined from the portal won’t represent that much of an improvement. We shall definitely see when they start playing PAC competition. I’m really interested to see how they fare playing the Arizona schools early on. They beat both of them last year but both those schools hurt USC on offense and certainly have also improved this season.

J Rocksville
      Ute Fan
      @jrocksville

I don’t know if this has any bearing, but I’ve always wondered if there is a difference in commitment from guys/kids that are recruited to be a part of a program and chose to be a part of that team based upon that recruitment, vs guys that are just there for the payday.

They’ve got a lot of mercenaries on that team, but the kind of kid looking for the best payday might not be the most team-first player.

Either way, I think we can count on usc being fired up to see us, and I think we’ll be fired up to prove it wasn’t a fluke. If we’re both undefeated, it’ll be a battle of 2 top ten teams.

Mule
        Ute Fan
        @mule

I think you’re right. Thing is, u$c has always had the mercenary types that are just there for their payday. That locker room has got to be so interesting.

9 1

Central Coast Ute
      Ute Fan
      @flip2848

It’s the first game, I wouldn’t take much from it. Wait and see how they’re playing in week 3.

D T
        Ute Fan
        @azute1

The ultra soft Grinch & his D have been consistent since his days back in Norman….Nothing will have changed by then….This performance was identical to last year’s & every Riley OU team’s before then.

AZUTE
      Ute Fan
      @azute

USC doesn’t have the D to win a championship. Pac12 or otherwise.

Utah Oregon and Washington will all score 45+ points on them.

SC has a 4 game stretch where they go Utah,
      @Cal, Washington, and @Oregon. Could easily go 2-2 with that D

The Miami Ute
        Ute Fan
        @themiamiute

They play at Notre Dame the week before they play Utah. Hard to see how they come out of South Bend with a victory. Just like USC upgraded the QB position last year by enticing Williams from Oklahoma, so has Notre Dame by getting Sam Hartman from Wake Forest. Just like USC talks about getting revenge on Utah at the Coliseum, so does ND talk about getting revenge on USC. Lastly, USC ends the season playing UCLA at the Rose Bowl. That’s not going to be a walk in the park either.

1 1

Trojan209
          Ute Fan
          @trojan209

The UCLA game is at the Coliseum this year.

6 2

AlohaUte
      Ute Fan
      @alohaute

Basing one’s assessment of a team on game one against a bad team is silly and we should all know better. USC didn’t open the playbook on O or D. They weren’t going to give anything anyway to later opponents. USC is far better than they looked yesterday and they still put up 50+ points.

3 1

The Miami Ute
        Ute Fan
        @themiamiute

“Basing one’s assessment of a team on game one against a bad team is silly and we should all know better.” You sound like those USC fans who are giving USC fans a pass because it was ‘Week Zero”. Well, it was “Week Zero” for SJSU as well. It sure didn’t look like SJSU opened up the playbook or did anything special and they still gained 400 yards on USC. In addition, and I only speak for myself, some observers are criticizing USC not because of “one game” but because after a much-ballyhooed offseason, we’re seeing the same thing from a Lincoln Riley – Alex Grinch defense that we’ve been seeing for the last seven years.

3 1

AlohaUte
          Ute Fan
          @alohaute

So you conveniently are ignoring the games Utah has played against FCS schools or G5 schools (even losing to SDSU) yet still had a great season.

The Miami Ute
            Ute Fan
            @themiamiute

I’m specifically talking about USC and Alex Grinch’s defenses. One time is an anomaly. Two times is a coincidence. Three times is proof.

Anfernee
      Ute Fan
      @anfernee

It’s the same ‘ol Lincoln. Another Heisman qb (which is incredible to his credit) and 💩 defense. 1–4 in end-of-season bowl games and 0-3 in the College Football Playoff. Video game stats and the Grinch at D. Utah generally fairs well against that formula. Whitt them in mouth. 💪

The Miami Ute
        Ute Fan
        @themiamiute

Riley is world-class at coaching and offense and poaching other team’s QBs. He got Murray from A&M and Mayfield from Texas Tech…nothing wrong with that.

4 1

chinngiskhaan
      Ute Fan
      @chinngiskhaan

I think it’s too early to make assessments about what we’ll be facing in several weeks. Our defense was doggy doodoo against Florida last year. We ended up being good by the time we played USC.

3 1

D T
        Ute Fan
        @azute1

DC Grinch’s D has been consistently putrid for 7 years now….What you saw yesterday reflects that consistency….Not too early at all….It’s just business as usual with his D.

3 1

chinngiskhaan
          Ute Fan
          @chinngiskhaan

That may be true, but we don’t know that any more than we did at the end of last season. This game meant very little.

D T
            Ute Fan
            @azute1

You’re not listening to me….NOTHING HAS CHANGED IN SEVEN YEARS….And you believe things will magically turn around this year with the identical coach in charge? That’s just plain ignorant.

3 1

chinngiskhaan
              Ute Fan
              @chinngiskhaan

Here you go again mischaracterizing what I’m saying. Strawman arguments aren’t going to get you anywhere. I’m not claiming that anything has changed, magically or otherwise. I’m simply suggesting that this game is not proof that they haven’t changed. It’s the first game of the season. We know from watching our own team that first games are not an indication of how a defense will perform in the future.

D T
                Ute Fan
                @azute1

But we have a history of elite defenses under our current DC….Grinch has a 7 year history of atrocious defenses….So it was logical that we’d improve last year & that USC won’t this year.

Just admit you were wrong & move along already.

2008 National Champ
                  Ute Fan
                  @cptmrgn05

have you ever admitted any time you were wrong? asking for a friend.,,

D T
                    Ute Fan
                    @azute1

You’re asking the wrong person….I’m not that guy.

You on the other hand have a storied history of always being “right”….You’re definitely that guy.

rbmw263
      Ute Fan
      @rbmw263

until we stop sucking on the road i am somewhat afraid of every single road game.

Trojan209
      Ute Fan
      @trojan209

To be fair this year they rotated a lot of players including freshmen on the lines throughout the game. According to Riley nearly every offensive possession had a different group of players. They kinda treated it like a spring game. They might not do that against Nevada but we’ll see.

rbmw263
        Ute Fan
        @rbmw263

can anybody explain why Riley doesnt understand the only thing standing between him and a title is having a elite DC?

NarfUte
          Ute Fan
          @narfute

Either Grinch has dirty pics of Riley or Riley knows as much about good defense as he does about good brisket

Viewing 9 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football USC doesn’t scare me

• This topic has 26 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 8 months ago by D T.