“Utah isn’t exactly returning the phone calls”

Viewing 12 reply threads
      8 8

Ghost of the HEB
      Ute Fan
      @deseretgentlman

If we end up stuck in the MWPAC making $18M per year because our brass got caught up in some ‘we’re all in this together’ sing along, we riot. Hopefully this guy is just trolling, because that BYU-P bit is nonsensical.

12 3

Larry B
      Ute Fan
      @larryb

If we turn down a better opportunity because we’re too prideful to “follow” BYU then that would be really disappointing.

13 1

UteFanatic
        Ute Fan
        @utefanatic

I don’t think for a second Utah would turn down the Big12 because BYU is in it. That part is BS.

I could, however, see Utah having some weird sense of loyalty toward the Pac12 and then getting screwed because they weren’t proactive enough.

11 5

tanute3
      Ute Fan
      @tanute3

Holy s**t, if the arrogance of the University’s leadership causes us to miss out on this lifeboat in the palm of our hands…

4 7

radioUte
      Ute Fan
      @radioute

Unfortunately, I believe it. I’ve read pretty much the same sentiment posted here and elsewhere over the past year. 

Utesbyfive
        Ute Fan
        @utesbyfive

By fans and media. You haven’t heard this from anyone in power.

UteFanatic
      Ute Fan
      @utefanatic

Keep in mind that these particular folks aren’t exactly national guys with tons of credibility. I’m not saying they don’t have some info, but the rumor pool is swirling harder than ever. Take everything you hear with a grain of salt over the next couple of days.

SoUtahUte
      Ute Fan
      @soutahute

Just take a breath and a Xanax and relax.  There are a lot of things in play and a lot of options being discussed.  When the dust settles, the U will land in a good place. 

6 4

Yergensen
      Ute Fan
      @yergensen

PAC 12 university leadership led and enabled (commissioners) the conference to its current state of near extinction.  Can we really expect them to lead the conference out of the mess they put it in?

The only thing that will turn the tide and save the conference is a Big 12 competitive media deal made and announced within a week. Next defector could be the lynch pin.

15 1

Utesbyfive
      Ute Fan
      @utesbyfive

I don’t believe any of this crap. I don’t believe president Randall is arrogant, and I’m sick to death of this narrative. It’s entirely fabricated by BYU honks on twitter, pushing this crap non-stop and hard! There are a handful of very popular and widely read Utah fan posters on Twitter that are also fueling this fire with their own arrogance. UtahPigBus, I’m looking at you.

There’s zero reason to honestly believe there’s bad blood between the Big 12 and Utah administration.

5 5

CityCreekUte
      Ute Fan
      @citycreekute

I don’t see why the Big12 would be better than than the PAC-X

“Losing” Colorado isn’t losing much. And if Arizona goes I’m not why the PAC would be sad to replace them with SDSU and SMU. It keeps the Phoenix area market adds back in SoCal and Dallas and loses Boulder and Tuscon. Yeah I just don’t see the loss there. It adds 2 bigger markets and a footprint in Texas. I’m sure we’ll lose some recruit from Denver someday. I’m sure.

2 6

UteThunder
        Ute Fan
        @utethunder

It’s primarily about perception.

Colorado has a history of being one of the big boys going back to their time in the Big 8 and BigXII. Replacing them with a G5 makes the Pac look weaker than it was before even though Colorado has sucked in the Pac-12. Same goes for Arizona if they leave.

Perception is that the BigXII is getting stronger by adding P5 and the Pac would be getting weaker by adding G5. And like it or not, perception is reality.

HoosierUte
          Ute Fan
          @hoosierute

But isn’t the BXII adding four G5s this very season? 

UteThunder
            Ute Fan
            @utethunder

Yes they did. BUT, Cincinnati was in the playoffs two years ago, UCF was one win away from posting back-to-back undefeated seasons a few years ago, and, whether we want to acknowledge it or not, BYU was viewed as a psuedo P5 level team.

SDSU, SMU, UNLV, CSU, etc. don’t come close by comparison.

10 1

D T
      Ute Fan
      @azute1

You actually buy this nonsense?

Tednab
        Ute Fan
        @tednab

More great news .. if this ends up being true .. B12 moved to quickly on Colorado

Geoff Schwartz
        @geoffschwartz
        Details on potential media deal for P12.
        20M per school and mostly streaming.
        Not ideal

5 1

UteThunder
          Ute Fan
          @utethunder

If those are the numbers, and it’s mostly streaming, the BigXII will have their pick of Pac teams – including Oregon and Washington.

If those are the numbers, and our admin is okay with that, they don’t care about our athletic department or the fans.

UtahPilot47
          Ute Fan
          @utahpilot

You really think ESPN is going to push NikeU to streaming?

UtMtBiker
            Ute Fan
            @utmtbiker

Given that ESPN + is much more profitable per viewer than cable/satalight provider deals, yes. Streaming is the future and cable networks value has been reduced to thier infrastructure in delivering streaming services. Streaming also allows for targeted ads similar to social media which will start to become norm once they reach a critical mass of viewer data and habits. Targeted ads backed by data are 10x more lucrative than traditional mass appeal ads. There is more value in streaming than it appears at the surface, especially as part of a long term plan for espn/disney

1 2

Utesbyfive
          Ute Fan
          @utesbyfive

Again, don’t believe it. The Big 13 and their fans are sowing FUD hard.

UteManX
      Ute Fan
      @utemanx

Take it for what it’s worth and things could change by the hour. I have sat in on many meetings. FWIW, in 2020 we almost became temporary Big 12 members (relationships are strong). 1, this is not true. There have been calls and returned calls. We are doing due diligence on waiting for official numbers. 2. There is a big meeting regarding “athletic options”. 3. The streaming mainly and money amount is looking to be accurate to close.

Utesbyfive
        Ute Fan
        @utesbyfive

Dude, I wouldn’t reveal this stuff. ISO will find you. There aren’t that many zoom “admins”.

UteManX
          Ute Fan
          @utemanx

There are a few hundred on campus.

GameForAnyFuss
      Ute Fan
      @gameforanyfuss

A few things to consider:
      1. There’s much more to the whole conference alignment thing than sports. Much, much more. As sports fans it’s natural to think everything revolves around sports, but it doesn’t. The amount of research funding dwarfs the entire athletic budget.
      2. Do you honestly think that we’re being led by morons here? Do you honestly think that Utah doesn’t have a plan for every single possible permutation involving the conference? From the Board of Trustees to the President to the AD…do you really think they’re a bunch of reactionary idiots just sitting there hoping things work out? Does anyone really think that the space occupied by BYU-Provo Campus has anything to do with what Utah does? If you think any of these things you haven’t been paying attention. Again, there’s so much at stake here and I guarantee that they are ready for any outcome.
      3. Alex Markham from Rivals just tweeted this: “I know plenty of fans are falling for that narrative [that Utah is going to get left behind] and understandably so. It’s panic time for the fanbase, but the Utah athletics department hasn’t been panicking. They have a plan, just let them see it through.”

Relax…it’s going to be OK. I promise.

UteThunder
        Ute Fan
        @utethunder

Oh, well, if YOU promise then I guess we can all sleep easy. 

GameForAnyFuss
          Ute Fan
          @gameforanyfuss

What bug crawled up your ass? Pretty sure I don’t deserve your vitriol.

I get it that uncertainty makes you cranky, but man…get some meds or something and relax. Good lord…

UteThunder
            Ute Fan
            @utethunder

Vitriol? Give me a break. 

I’m just saying that having a random fan promise that everything is going to be okay while not sharing any inside info doesn’t exactly offer much comfort when our program is on the verge of being relegated to G5 status.

Anfernee
      Ute Fan
      @anfernee

From multiple sources: Utah has NOT ignored or avoided communication with the BIG12, I am told Utah has said they are committed to seeing the PAC12 media deal number before taking action.”

From Monty Show. This makes the most sense. See the deal. Proceed accordingly

Viewing 12 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Pac-12 “Utah isn’t exactly returning the phone calls”