ute basketball

Viewing 4 reply threads

Caliman
      Ute Fan
      @elguapoute

so BYU is ranked #12, they haven’t beat anybody that is any good, and lost to Utah. And utah not ranked in the top 25? that is some big ass horse s**t.

Minnesota Ute
      Ute Fan
      @minnesotaute

Its very bizarre. We sit at 16 in the NET rankings, but are a pretty weak ‘others receiving votes’ in both AP and USA Today. (Although the latter hasnt come out today, so we’ll see…) This is nothing new, as long as I can remember, we struggle to get traction in the polls. But we take care of business Saturday and to some extent, things will take care of themselves.

chinngiskhaan
        Ute Fan
        @chinngiskhaan

The only ranking that matters is NET. The others can all get bent… none of it means anything at the moment anyway.

utefansince79
      Ute Fan
      @utefansince79

Coaches poll just dropped, Utah 29th in both polls.

Polls mean very little to the selection committee. Schedule strength, quality wins, bad losses, etc. are what determines who gets in the dance and where they are seeded.

Minnesota Ute
        Ute Fan
        @minnesotaute

My pushback would be that although the polls are of limited use in tournament selection, they have a large roll in visibility and subsequently for recruiting. I’d also say that I’m still skeptical that the beauty contest means nothing to the selection committee.

Jim Vanderhoof
      Ute Fan
      @jvhoofs

With the addition of D. Smith we are now under rated. It’s good to stay under the radar until the pac tournament. Use it as motivation. The committee will ultimately decide our position. It’s fun to even be discussing it.

Hopefully by time the Pac tournament starts we can have our rotation s set and playing our best.

The Miami Ute
      Ute Fan
      @themiamiute

If Utah keeps winning, they won’t stay unranked for long. A couple more victories and their record will be impossible to ignore.

Charlie
        Ute Fan
        @charlie

I think Utah still hurts from having so little momentum from recent previous years. Next, no momentum from notable transfers or recruits. BB polls seem to be heavy in expectations early in the season and respond slowly compared to FB. Because of the number of BB games a big win in BB is not like a big win in FB. Preseason BB schedules generally don’t provide opportunities for change due to ease of schedule. Big 12 BB starts this week and conference play is where nearly undefeated teams turn into 50/50.

Next, it will be interesting to see how Utah does the next few weeks. On one hand it appears we have improving chances to win pac games. On the other hand, pac wins may not mean as much as expected top pac teams have disappointed so far.

Minnesota Ute
          Ute Fan
          @minnesotaute

Spot on, while from the inside it seemed like we had some momentum last year having barely missed making the tourney despite low expectations. But from the outside, if you aren’t dancing, you aren’t nuthin. Arizona really laid a turd for the conf by getting rolled by Stanford the other day. But then again, road games in the pac suck, even in a down year apparently. Hope we can get through this roadie with a split at worst, but honestly, wouldn’t surprise me to get swept. ASU with a 9pm (SLC time) weekday game on road, then AZ at home, that’s a tough pair. Let’s hope the boys are up to the task. I’d be ecstatic with a road sweep!!

The Miami Ute
            Ute Fan
            @themiamiute

ASU will definitely be easier of the two teams. They got blown out by BYU at home and have a couple of other bad losses. That being said, Utah isn’t good enough yet to take any team for granted on the road.

D T
              Ute Fan
              @azute1

Actually, the ASU-zoob game was played in Vegas.

The Miami Ute
                Ute Fan
                @themiamiute

Thanks. I was going off the CBS Sports website which had ASU as the home team for that game.

Viewing 4 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.