Utefans.net

Viewing 22 reply threads

Wilson’s Mustache
      Ute Fan
      @sigmaute

I think I’m permanently done with visiting Utefans.net. I was splitting my time between the two sites, but It no longer provides any valuable countent that I don’t  already find here.

Im quitting for a multitude of reason many of which I won’t bother complaining about here, but I think many of you can guess what was the final straw.

With that said I love this website and look forward to watching it grow and thrive.

Thanks for all you do Tony!

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

You mean this?

ute fans

I can’t believe I’m seeing this again. Actually I can. I wish the dude better luck in the future. All I can do is keep working my ass off here and try to make this place the best it can be.

Anonymous
        Inactive

ironman1315
      Ute Fan
      @ironman1315

I’ve been on UFN since last July. This is the second round of donations. I have never seen a forum site be quite so aggressive in asking for money.

UteStuckInSeattle
        Ute Fan
        @utestuckinseattle

Unfortunately, the aggressive fundraising efforts come from the site owner dealing with a large amount of personal issues and, sadly, the funds are not going to site upkeep or improvements.

I still enjoy visiting and posting, but the unless site ownership changes hands it’s just going to keep getting worse over there.

hnoseguard
      Ute Fan
      @hnoseguard

I don’t even have words to express the shock and disbelief when I saw the new fundraiser.

UteStuckInSeattle
        Ute Fan
        @utestuckinseattle

People will do pretty astounding things when they are desperate.

WM needs to seriously consider giving up UFN to someone who can actually take care of the site, or it’s days will be numbered.

Riot West
        Ute Fan
        @riotwest

I wrote several different posts in response to that. Then I just settled on “Dude.”

I’ve decided to make a concerted effort to get used to this layout. It’s looks really good and up to date. Problem is I can only access it with my phone because it’s blocked at work for some strange reason. (My guess is the “hub” in the domain name.)

Tony (admin)
          Admin/Founder
          @admin

Hey @riotwest I’m not sure what would make it get blocked, or not. If you can find out what your filters are or what they are looking for we may be able to figure something out.

As far as the layout goes, I’ve made efforts to appease the UFN people and that, shall we say “unique” way of looking at the posts, as well as having a more standard format.

Riot West
            Ute Fan
            @riotwest

Thanks @Tony. I think it’s just a challenge I’m going to have to overcome. like I said, I’ll just have to click more. Ufn was easy to use on iPhone because it was just scrolling.

Tony (admin)
              Admin/Founder
              @admin

@riotwest UFN is not just scrolling. It ends. At the bottom of the page there are numbers and a thing that says “next page” or something like that. On the home page here there are page numbers and a next button as well.

The formatting of the home page is almost identical in structure to UFN’s forum list:

TOPIC

Topic

Then page links at the bottom.

Riot West
                Ute Fan
                @riotwest

I see that but the messages are truncated so I click open to read the longer messages. It’s no big deal – just something I will get used to

Also, I pretty much just go to the recent posts link.

Tony (admin)
                  Admin/Founder
                  @admin

Yeah UFN has an “Open” link at the bottom of each post as well, to open the truncated posts.

Daedalus
                    Ute Fan
                    @daedalus

There is a user configuration with full posts in nested display, no clicking necessary.

ChooseTheRed
      Ute Fan
      @choosethered

Sadly, this might be very beneficial to this site. I can’t imagine there not being a mass exodus.

Uteified
      Ute Fan
      @uteified

This site is infinitely better.  It runs better. It has a better format and better features. And people respectfully talk about Utah sports rather than complaining about BYU and religion all the time.

UtahSig
      Ute Fan
      @utahsig

What a dumpster fire.

I remember when this happened last year and everyone was asking him to sell the site because we were all worried about our gathering place to talk Utah. It was pretty awesome @Tony actually stepped up and did something.

I would be curious to see how many new people register for this site over the next week or two.

Tony (admin)
        Admin/Founder
        @admin

There have been about 10 people registering since 11pm last night. 🙂

Anonymous
          Inactive

Most Utefans members have memberships already I think and were probably lurking. They realize their schtick isn’t welcome over here though.

Kirk Herbstreet
      Ute Fan
      @mariolemute

Webmonkey will never sell Utefans. Any buyer who had half a brain would demand to see the financials for the site in order to justify the asking price. I doubt Chris has any interest in making those available.

Tacoma Ute
        Ute Fan
        @tacomaute

It’s sad to say but I can’t see that site lasting more than a few more months. It’s a shame. I hope it doesn’t go away but I’m not optimistic.

ironman1315
      Ute Fan
      @ironman1315

If I had the money I probably wouldn’t mind donating for a site that actually functioned like a site from 2016 should. But UFN is horribly outdated.

FountainofUte
      Ute Fan
      @fountainofute

Well this just might be the nudge to push me over here permanently. It’s so disappointing to see what UFN has become. Now, I think I’m at the point where I just won’t even visit the place anymore. Just turn my back and let it burn, or rot, or…who even cares. So sad. What a waste of what was once a good thing and warm community.

fishingutefan
      Ute Fan
      @fishingutefan

I have enjoyed Utefans and also not a big fan of change, but I am going to give Utehub a more serious look going forward. I have know Chris for several years and hope things get better for him. I would have no problem donating annually to utefans if he took an active interest in the site, updated it, and once again became an active participant.

But at this time I am with the masses that he should sell the site get some $$$

Daedalus
      Ute Fan
      @daedalus

I have been a registered user on uf.n in its various incarnations since the 90s. (Wayback Machine!) I actually still prefer the format there — it is familiar and easy to skim through the hot topics with fewer mouse clicks. I’d keep it the same with just a little more spit and polish, and an effort to make the advertisement relevant and unintrusive.

I can’t really hate on Webmonkey for doing what he is — it’s his property, and his perogative. But it is also my perogative to decide where my money goes, and I can’t support this. I’d love to contribute to the site code and maybe partner with others on ownership (depending on hosting cost), but that’s my limit.

The one thing I will miss is gametime chat. Any plans for that here?

utahpunk
        Ute Fan
        @utahpunk

Yes, there is usually a game chat going on. I recommend opening it up in its own separate window. I have it open now, and there seems to be a more active amount of chat in general than on UF.N

Tony (admin)
          Admin/Founder
          @admin

There are several ways to view the content here each with its own unique format. Anyone that says they don’t like the format here probably missed that.

DanielLaRussoUte
        Ute Fan
        @daniellarussoute

If you really miss the UFN stream-of-consciousness style posting, then I would just hang out in the Recent Posts section. You’ll get your desired mishmash of hot topics, with the added benefit of seeing when new posts are popping up in older topics…as opposed to them sinking into oblivion and being rehashed ad nauseum.

utahpunk
          Ute Fan
          @utahpunk

I just discovered using HUB > Member Activity works even better. It will let you know automatically when there is new activity. This site just keeps on getting better.

Crimson Kid
        Ute Fan
        @crimsonkid

Seeing the Wayback Machine version of UteFans.net made me very nostalgic for how that board used to be.  Sure, it was ugly, but the quality of posts that were there were awesome.  Too many members of the board were run off by idiots and others stopped going there because of the anti-religion and other BS that was posted.

I think after 18 years of UteFans.net, I might start coming over here more

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

There is very active game chat here. Tab on tight side of browser window.

Daedalus
        Ute Fan
        @daedalus

Ah, I had technical issues with NoScript. Once I verified in another browser, I allowed a couple more URLs.

leftyjace
      Ute Fan
      @leftyjace

Wow. This really shocks the crap out of me.

I mean, seriously, WTF????

leftyjace
      Ute Fan
      @leftyjace

OK, I gotta say something. I can’t keep my mouth shut. This is just too ridiculous.

I simply cannot believe that a guy who does NOTHING to maintain the site other than pay the hosting costs (which CANNOT be more than $50-80 a month) would continuously hit people up for additional fundraising to the tune of thousands of thousands of dollars.

Keep in mind, the fundraising is ON TOP OF people who consistently contribute(d, in my case) money on an annual basis. AND ad revenue, which while not as substantial as donations is not insignificant.

The site has been around for years. YEARS. He has already made back the money he’s sunk into it in spades, and then some. The ROI for UF.N is extremely high. It has never really been truly updated. What maintenance and day-to-day work there is gets done by moderators – friends of WebMonkey.

The dude is completely detached, he has a low cost / moderate income hobby, and he’s STILL got a loyal following of old timers despite the fact that he doesn’t have a sensible bone in his body.

I know there are going to be people that migrate over here from UF.N that disagree with what I’m saying. And that’s fine.

But what I’m trying to say is this:

1. Tony, DO NOT BUY UF.N. If you do… do it for the domain, and redirect everyone over here. You’ve got a great thing going, with a new attitude that is centered on Utah sports and not on religion and politics.

2. I sure hope Chris gets it together. But it is hard to watch. Wow. I can’t believe he actually had the audacity to do another fundraiser. I mean… wow. Just…. wow.

3. If the UF.N old timers come over here and try to bring their culture with them instead of conforming to the tone and attitude that Tony has already built, it would be a VERY sad, sad thing. That’s partly why I don’t want Tony to buy UF.N. I want those people to stay where they’re happy, and away from here.

OK, sorry y’all, I’m a big jerk, and I deserve to be flamed, so go ahead if you feel like it.

But goodness. I just can’t believe that guy.

Wilson’s Mustache
        Ute Fan
        @sigmaute

I don’t think you’re going to be flamed. I think there are a lot of like minded individuals.

UtahSig
        Ute Fan
        @utahsig

I don’t know the background Lefty, so I will take your word for it. But I do completely agree with you that I don’t want Utehub to Utefans 2.0. I also didn’t like the religion/politics over there. I would be bummed out (and would probably leave) if this site turned into that.

If the old guard from UF.N wants to come over here, I will welcome them, but I will fight hard against them bring the old mentality over here.

RedLine
          Ute Fan
          @redline

Refreshing not to have the cantankerous religion/politics flair matches that go on over there. Afterall, shouldn’t a sports fan board talk predominantly about, well, sports?… Big thanks to Tony for this site.

UTE98
        Ute Fan
        @ute98

I am an old time UF.N member. Since 2002, but this fall I made the permanent transition here. Did the same last year… Mostly.

I’ve not missed the drama of that site.

Tony, has taken an active involved role here and it shows. Thanks.

fosternano
      Ute Fan
      @fosternano

I’ve been with utefans since 2008 when my brother was playing for the utes. Back in the day it was an awesome site and I didn’t have any issues.

Obviously I’m posting to this website now meaning that I’ve left utefans behind. After seeing constant pleas for money (don’t get me wrong, I would happily donate but it doesn’t seem to be doing anything) I finally said 8+ years is enough, and moved on over.

So hopefully this fan site works out to be much better 🙂

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

So hopefully this fan site works out to be much better

I’m always trying to make it better…

fosternano
        Ute Fan
        @fosternano

I really like what I see. Plus I really like how you’re actively programing everything yourself. It’s nice to see an active owner again! 🙂

Utesbyfive
      Ute Fan
      @utesbyfive

Chris drinks away any profit from the site, and abuses his clients horribly. I have zero sympathy left for him. He’s a self-destructive drunk, and based on his DUI, possibly a danger to himself and others. UF.n is dead to me.

leftyjace
      Ute Fan
      @leftyjace

So a funny thing happened over on UF.N.

The fundraiser was up to $991. And someone did a post like this:
      “991 dollars for beer on the wall, 991 dollars for beer…”
      Anyway, that post had gotten some red star action.
      That post is now nowhere to be found.

Apparently Monkey is monitoring the board a little more closely after reading the scathing posts about his lack of involvement and constant fundraisers.

He must be surprised that the fundraiser hasn’t yielded what he was hoping for.

Tony (admin)
        Admin/Founder
        @admin

$991? Wow. That’s plane tickets to Cabo. I better start working on the first Ute Hub fundraiser…

Wilson’s Mustache
        Ute Fan
        @sigmaute

The funniest thing about that post is that is exactly the type of humor that represents what Utefans is to its core. He’s basically censoring the cesspool he spawned.

89ute
        Ute Fan
        @89ute

He must be surprised that the fundraiser hasn’t yielded what he was hoping for.

I’m shocked he’s pulled 900+
        Who the hell is giving him ANY money?
        I pulled my regularly scheduled donation a few months ago and I was p**sed I didn’t do it a long time ago.
        The sack of s**t can’t even do simple maintenance and he has the balls to ask for a handout.
        Plus, he references that unlimited sick time isn’t really unlimited sick time. Come on dumbass, nowhere in America are you going to get unlimited sick time. Maybe he read his former employer’s personnel policies about as well has he pays attention to his site.
        No sympathy, no quarter, shame on the stupid dorks giving him money.

hnoseguard
        Ute Fan
        @hnoseguard

It was his brother that wrote that post too.

leftyjace
          Ute Fan
          @leftyjace

Seriously??????

Wow.

Tony (admin)
          Admin/Founder
          @admin

What post, the money request?

hnoseguard
            Ute Fan
            @hnoseguard

His younger brother wrote the post that got a bunch of red stars and was then deleted –

“991 dollars for beer on the wall, 991 dollars for beer…”

Tony (admin)
              Admin/Founder
              @admin

Oh. Quite the dynamic there.

Riot West
      Ute Fan
      @riotwest

Tell me more about this cesspool

leftyjace
      Ute Fan
      @leftyjace

And…. the fundraiser goal has been reduced from $4,000 to $2,000.
      Reducing the target to make it more “attainable”?
      Ah well.

UtahSig
        Ute Fan
        @utahsig

That reminds me of the first fund raiser when everyone stepped up to the plate and the goals was met in like 2 days. And then Web Monkey raised the goal. That really kind of p**sed me off.

BioUte
      Ute Fan
      @bioute

I haven’t enjoyed UFN in years. I was done with it before the latest round of fundraising but I deleted my ‘favorites’ link after seeing their dirty laundry aired on facebook.

UtahSig
        Ute Fan
        @utahsig

I never heard about airing of dirty laundry on facebook. Care to give a short version of what happened there?

BioUte
          Ute Fan
          @bioute

It appears it has been deleted from his facebook. It was very disturbing.

leftyjace
          Ute Fan
          @leftyjace

Basically, WebMonkey’s brother (the same one that made the post deleted earlier this week, I would imagine) posted onto WebMonkey’s facebook page a scathing description of the situation.

WebMonkey had just wrapped his car around a telephone pole the night before or something like that (driving while drunk, obviously), and was in the hospital, so wasn’t in a position to delete the post or remove it or anything. It stayed up for quite a while. A lot of WebMonkey’s family and friends pleaded for him to seek help or do something. This made multiple DUI accidents. Apparently the guy has a serious, serious, serious problem. He can’t keep a job because sometimes he doesn’t show up for work because he’s drunk off his ass. His medical bills keep hanging over his head because he keeps getting in accidents and putting himself in the hospital. His wife also has had some medical issues, from what I understand.

Anyway, back to his brother’s FB post… It was probably a day or two later that his brother pulled it down and posted another post on his page saying that he apologized for airing his family’s dirty laundry, or something like that. I think that apology post was also deleted later.

So that’s what started the backlash against WebMonkey’s fundraising efforts. A lot of UF.N people had no idea that WebMonkey had these serious issues, even those of us that were FB friends with him. When he puts up a fundraiser for “medical bills help” and then his brother posted that and just tore him a new one… it was heart wrenching.

But then he did another bonehead thing, lost yet another job, and did yet another fundraiser… but no visible or material improvements were made to UF.N, and in fact the ads got more aggressive and bothersome. It became quite clear that his fundraisers were being run for his personal benefit, not to keep the lights on with UF.N. I believe all of the various fundraisers gave him well over $10K in a year. Again, I will point out that this was on top of normal yearly donations by the fanbase, as well as ad revenue.

Daedalus
            Ute Fan
            @daedalus

To be honest I can believe his pancreas is f**ked up (possibly from the alcoholism) and I was happy to offer my contribution (the first time). I’m sure he’s still in a bad place, and struggling, and we really don’t need to keep harping on it. It’s none of our business. But in the same token, I don’t feel the need to contribute to any further personal issues, when it’s clear not a single dime or minute is applied to improving the users’ experience of the site.

I’ll still keep using the site as a leech user mostly ’cause I’m used to it. I would rather donate my time as a coder to help with the site than any dime I might have to spare. And he doesn’t want that.

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

I would rather donate my time as a coder to help with the site than any dime I might have to spare. And he doesn’t want that.

Do you make ios/android apps? 🙂

Viewing 22 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Misc Utefans.net