Was anyone else surprises that Whitt/Lud put Johnson back in the game

Viewing 7 reply threads

ProudUte
      Ute Fan
      @proudute

in the 4th quarter after making two mistakes handling the ball?

I admit that I was shocked, not unhappy, but surprised. The good news is that I believe that this helps Johnson’s confidence going forward. Johnson is likely a big part of our future and is an amazing athlete.

Now the game is over and we won, I am pleased Johnson came back into the game. I hope that in the weeks to come that Johnson will be used more in situational plays like short yardage or red zone plays.

alexsmith
      Ute Fan
      @alexsmith

I think they felt that we were in a good position defensively that they felt the need to get Johnson more reps

RoboUte
      Ute Fan
      @hamplate

No, we’re trying to set a new QB stable up. You can’t let that series define that young man’s memory of the game. Its was a

1. A show of faith by the coaches, something every QB needs.

2. An opportunity for Nate to go out there and show himself that he CAN move on from mistakes, a key skill for QBs.

Especially since we were already set up to utilize him it was no big deal to get him back in there and it was a great decision to do so. TBH he looked sloppier and overall worse than Barnes but he also put together basically our only good drive.

EagleMountainUte
      Ute Fan
      @battlegroundute

If he lost the ball on a different bounce I doubt he sees the field again.

chinngiskhaan
      Ute Fan
      @chinngiskhaan

I was a bit surprised, but to me it shows that Kyle and Co. are maturing and realizing that sometimes you gotta let guys learn to get over mistakes.

Ma’ake Kava
      Ute Fan
      @ma-ake

Really long interview with Nate on 700. Humble, engaging kid.

Mitchell welcomed him to the club of QBs who’ve mishandled the ball, and Nate said he did what they preach – have short term memory and move on to the next play.

It’s temporary, but through camp and last night this 2 headed QB system is doing well. The way the game unfolded we didn’t need potent QB production in the 2nd half, but these guys both scored, and hopefully they get gameplans for Baylor that will stay one step ahead of the Bears’ DC.

RedRocks
      Ute Fan
      @hypodactylus

I was glad that they let him keep playing. It was mildly surprising, given Whittingham’s reputation.

That said, I wish they wouldn’t swap the QB’s mid drive. Let them finish something. Also, let Johnson throw the ball…

Ute Bc
      Ute Fan
      @utebc

if there’s one thing Johnson is not missing – it’s confidence!

Love the way he battled and you could tell he loves the team and excited about his role.

Viewing 7 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Was anyone else surprises that Whitt/Lud put Johnson back in the game