What a fun trip

Viewing 6 reply threads
      15 10

Utah
      Ute Fan
      @utah

I made it out to Utah, to the game and back alive. I’m glad I went. It was an absolute blast. I was able to go on the field pre-game, I was there when Ford came out of the locker room, run up to his family and let them know he was starting at RT, saw the coaches and then sat up in the scholarship boxes. What a great time.

First, MOSS WAS HURT. Whitt said after the game that he didn’t know of any other player who was as hurt as Moss who would have played. Him just being out there was a miracle.

If Moss is hurt, your run game is SCREWED. I too thought we were dumb as rocks for not running him more, but what we got out of him was incredible. You can’t rely on Shyne with all his fumbles and I guess Green isn’t ready yet. I’m ok with what happened with the run game after finding out that Moss was hurt.

Second, Taylor actually called a good game. Anyone who says otherwise is…wrong. The plays were there. The bootleg on the two was WIDE open. Huntley and Fotheringham (I think) screwed it up. Huntley overthrew another guy in the end zone. Too many drops. Taylor wasn’t the problem. Knowing Moss was hurt, Taylor did a really, really good job. His called plays were open. Too many missed throws by Huntley and too many drops. What the heck is wrong with Simpkins? He’s been awful this year.

Third, The defense was AMAZING. Just AMAZING.

Fourth, Pita Tonga and the heartbreaking belly fumble.

Fifth, the refs were TERRIBLE. I want to say they gave Washington the game, but we had too many mistakes. We should have won that game even with the terrible calls. I haven’t re-watched the game at all, but the first TD drive I saw a blatant hold. Same on the second. The first targeting call was technically correct. The roughing the passer/targeting call was bullcrap. How the hell do you throw a flag on that play but not on the play where Huntley slides and gets hit? How do you throw Blair out but not throw a flag on the two hits Covey took to the head? Call it both ways and the refs obviously didn’t.

Sixth, I’m over Covey. A fumble in every game because of him. He’s really, really hard to tackle, but he is just too small. We need to find someone else. He shouldn’t be our #1 guy. He’s just not big enough. Sorry, I feel bad for the kid, but sometimes you are just too small. He’s an amazing #3. Your #1? Not going to work. Someone else needs to step up.

Seventh, I like this team. I wish we would have won, but Washington is a top 10 team. Hats off to them. They beat us (with some help from the refs).

Eighth, I’ll be around but not nearly as much. Some of y’all are too negative. Sucks the fun out of the game.

I’m really happy I got to go, got my free hat, socks, and a whole bunch of other cool stuff. What a great game and what a fun weekend.

Go UTES!

7 7

Utah
      Ute Fan
      @utah

Also, our offensive woes are not a big deal. Ok, they are, but they aren’t. They are mental. The players are in the right spots, Huntley is throwing to the right guys, there are just drops or the throws are off. 

We are close. Washington is good. Moss was hurt. To make any big changes now would just be dumb. Great time for the bye week. 

We just need to relax and go play football. We will be just fine. 

9 11

Ute Bc
        Ute Fan
        @utebc

How to lose all credibility in a single post ^^^

4 3

Utah
          Ute Fan
          @utah

What, all the open players that Huntley threw to and they dropped balls? That is a poorly called play? 

Washington isn’t a good to great team? 

To completely revamp the offense now, midseason, is a smart idea? Especially when the plays are there, the kids just aren’t executing. If kids are struggling with confidence/mental/issues changing things will only make it worse. Figure it out. Play Simpkins less. Let younger kids play. I don’t know what the answer is. I don’t sit in the meetings. 

But to revamp now? Dumb idea. 

10 4

Ute Bc
            Ute Fan
            @utebc

Let’s start with this. We scored one (1) touchdown Saturday. Washington won’t be a Top 10 team at the end of the season. Our offense is complete dog s**t – the same dog s**t I’ve been watching, from a box, for the last nine (9) offensive coordinators. 

We have the Florida Gatorade player of the year at QB thanks to a coach who thought Whitt was a dumbass. He’s also responsible for Moss. That coach is gone. Our QB has digressed. Our Elite 11 QB – Travis Wilson – was made worse every year. We are a below average PAC 12 team and have consistently performed as such despite better athletes. 

Blow smoke up your own skirt. Not mine. 

3 1

chinngiskhaan
              Ute Fan
              @chinngiskhaan

scored one touchdown… and without dropped passes would have had one more at least… against a very good defense. Is that a world beating offense? NO…. but it IS good enough to win the south if we just take advantage of the plays that are there.

Cut down the fumbles, and catch passes = a likely win against that washington team. We don’t need to reinvent this team.

1 2

Ute Bc
                Ute Fan
                @utebc

Seven wins. 7. It may actually do it this year but I suspect it will be one shy. How do I know?  Cause that is what we do. 

Wholesale change won’t work now I agree. In the meantime let’s hope Harlan has the balls to upgrade our staff. Ohio Tate OC looks like a good HC. 

Anonymous
              Inactive

*regressed. 

utefansince79
        Ute Fan
        @utefansince79

As for problems being ‘mental’, I fear the offense seems to be lacking confidence.

It’s like they expect to drop a wide open short pass in the end zone, or expect to gain a first down on a nice catch but then fumble it away, or expect to fail to score when given the ball in great field position.

If they can just get used to finishing off drives and putting points on the board, then they can hopefully get some consistency and get our team back on the winning track.

Puget Ute
        Ute Fan
        @pugetute

Washington has perhaps the #1 Defensive Backfield in CFB.  They are stacked with NFL talent acros the board.  Nobody is going to be able to pass against them this year.

5 4

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

Regarding the negative people I would say use the app and take advantage of the block user function.

9 4

Ute Bc
        Ute Fan
        @utebc

Sounds good Tony. Only cheerleaders here. I guess a dose of realism is too offensive and a little to harsh for this place. 

6 4

EagleMountainUte
          Ute Fan
          @battlegroundute

Fine line between being an asshole and real. 

4 4

User Suspended
            @a2ute

^ feelings.

Come one Battleground.  most of your comments are hard headed with little regard of what others think.  It’s kind of a my way or the highway culture we live in.

Tony (admin)
          Admin/Founder
          @admin

There is plenty of good discussion and realism here, sprinkled in with a few trolls. The point is that leaving the board because of some troll’s posts is what I’m hoping to avoid, by allowing users to tailor their feeds.

Stone
          Ute Fan
          @stone

I see plenty of criticism on the site. There is difference, however, between (1) some on the board that are perpetually negative and can never see anything positive and (2) those that can see positives and negatives. For example, after the Weber State game, there were obviously some issues to be addressed, and it makes sense to call those things out, but for some to find nothing positive about that game causes a loss in credibility.

I am not calling you out or anyone in particular, but it becomes obvious over time who is able to see both sides and who is just a wet blanket.

EagleMountainUte
      Ute Fan
      @battlegroundute

Agree with most of what you said. I still don’t understand how you rush Moss though he gave you four yards and gets hurt more on some of those rushes. Shyne just needed to be next man up but Whitt said he hasn’t earned it. Makes no sense if Moss is hurt don’t end his career against a great Dline. 

The play calls were there and this argument with coaching is silly. A high school coach got these guys wide open a lot. 

Utah
        Ute Fan
        @utah

Shyne had two fumbles vs Weber St. That’s his problem.

EagleMountainUte
          Ute Fan
          @battlegroundute

Whitt said Shyne hasn’t earned the reps in practice either. You knew Moss was hurt and play him anyway. I don’t know. Just trying to hold Whitt to his own standard. 

Italy88
      Ute Fan
      @itacoatiara22

“Eighth I’ll be around but not nearly as much. Some of you are too negative.” 

This from a guy that just spent a couple paragraphs being negative. Also from a guy that openly attacks a portion of the fan base because of their religious beliefs. 

See ya. 

ladyinred
      Ute Fan
      @ladyinred

Sad that we have all this supposed amazing depth at WR, but seemingly little at RB. If Moss was really that dinged up, they should’ve rested him and given the backups reps.

I have to agree about Covey – he needs to be used differently, not the main go-to guy. He is too slight to have defenders keying in on him. The others need to step up.

Lots of people calling out Taylor when it seems like the other position coaches are the ones that need the heat. Basic ball handling skills need to be re-re-reviewed. If those catches are made, ball not turned over, we are having a different conversation about the play-calling.

I think UW does look like a top 10 team. Even if their offense is not explosive, they are a disciplined team. Utah was a few plays made differently from making it a game. Execution is just not there.

KiYi-Ute
        Ute Fan
        @kiyi-ute

I agree with this take.

Stone
      Ute Fan
      @stone

For the most part, I agree with your post. The two caveats I would add:

– Shyne should be playing. He may have fumbled against Weber and it sounds like Whit thinks he has not earned time in practice, that’s all fine and good, but when the starter is injured, you gotta do what you gotta do. It is ridiculous to think that they would keep playing an injured player because the backup has not “earned playing time in practice.” Seems absurd to handicap your team and ability to win to teach someone a lesson about practicing harder.

– To say you are “over Covey” seems harsh, considering he is practically the only bright spot on the offense/special teams. He has fumbled twice, but he has also been largely carrying the entire load for the receiving corp and return teams. Plus, he lays it all out there. If you are saying someone else needs to step up to ease Covey’s burden, I agree, but without Covey, this offense/special teams would be much worse, so the guy deserves a lot of credit.

ironman1315
        Ute Fan
        @ironman1315

– Shyne should be playing. He may have fumbled against Weber and it sounds like Whit thinks he has not earned time in practice, that’s all fine and good, but when the starter is injured, you gotta do what you gotta do. It is ridiculous to think that they would keep playing an injured player because the backup has not “earned playing time in practice.” Seems absurd to handicap your team and ability to win to teach someone a lesson about practicing harder.

This. If Moss is that bad off, you need to find someone else. Who knows, maybe they rise to the occasion.

– To say you are “over Covey” seems harsh, considering he is practically the only bright spot on the offense/special teams. He has fumbled twice, but he has also been largely carrying the entire load for the receiving corp and return teams. Plus, he lays it all out there. If you are saying someone else needs to step up to ease Covey’s burden, I agree, but without Covey, this offense/special teams would be much worse, so the guy deserves a lot of credit

Utah is correct in that Covey shouldn’t be our number one option. And he has had problems with fumbles too. Goes to show how bad our WR corp is. They need to see a shrink.

Stone
          Ute Fan
          @stone

I agree in theory that Covey should not be the no. 1 option, but the reality is that he is the only receiver consistently catching the ball and getting yards after the catch. So until someone else steps up, he is all we got.

EagleMountainUte
            Ute Fan
            @battlegroundute

People are opposed to trying someone else  at QB yet they somehow think Covey can be replaced. He is the one bright star on the offense. I shudder to think if he is hurt. Just more Huntley dive plays before he is broken?
            This is why we can’t have nice things.

2 2

EagleMountainUte
      Ute Fan
      @battlegroundute

@Utah, @JimFasselFan ain’t wrong. You did bag on Covey clearly he is better than everyone. My opinion is because you are bigoted goof towards MOR-Mons. Covey is Utah’s best player and Moss is hobbled. 

5 2

Utah
      Ute Fan
      @utah

Covey is our best WR and that’s the problem. It has nothing to do with his religion.

It has everything to do with the fact that he’s 5 ft 6 and light as a feather. 

EagleMountainUte
      Ute Fan
      @battlegroundute

No I am just referring to your preseason opinion of Covey relative to his actual performance. 

Viewing 6 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football What a fun trip