What do you expect from our passing game tomorrow?

Viewing 7 reply threads

ProudUte
      Ute Fan
      @proudute

OSU totally shut down Caleb Williams and the USC passing game last week.  Williams completed less than 50% of his passes.  All of this with a very strong group of wide receivers.  Do we expect more from Cam or we do rely on our running game?

I was stunned that OSU controlled USC’s potent offense because they allowed 360 yards passing in a shootout with Fresno two weeks earlier.

We have a different kind of passing game than USC.  I hope we can get our running game untracked which will allow us to be more successful with the play-action passing game.

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

Yeah we’re more dependent on the TE’s and short routes.  It will be interesting to see what happens.  I suspect we will play Utah Footaball, which of course is run heavy.  If we succeed there, the passing game will open up. 

UrbanLiar
        Ute Fan
        @urbanliar

I predict a heavy load from our new Road Grader Idaho Assassin, Logan Kendall, at fullback clearing holes for others.

D T
      Ute Fan
      @azute1

Part of the rattling process regarding CW & their O was the hostile crowd….OSU obviously won’t have that benefit against us.

Ute_tastic
      Ute Fan
      @ctbo139pk

Utah’s passing game has completely owned the short middle third of the field through the first 3 games and ASU tried to shut that down and did for a little while. I suspect that OSU will try to do the same with either the LB’s or the Nickle sitting in the short middle zone and without Kuithe they will try to bracket cover or man up Kincaid. I’m hoping that Utah’s offensive plan will be to own the flats with either Bernard, JJ, or Dixon from 12-man bunch sets. I also think that we will see more contributions from  Logan Kendall not only from blocking like the beast that he has been but also from either receiving or running.

I think that it is crucial that Utah does not fail to score in the red zone. I know that Coach Whitt likes to go for it on fourth and short at the goal line and the analytics say it’s the right choice but that has not gone Utah’s way and something needs to be fixed.

Utesbyfive
      Ute Fan
      @utesbyfive

I think our Oline is better than USCs. I think we hold off their pressure, and continue to play Utah ball.

chinngiskhaan
      Ute Fan
      @chinngiskhaan

Hard to say because I don’t think we’ve faced a legitimately good team yet, and without kuithe we don’t know what this team can do.

2008 National Champ
      Ute Fan
      @cptmrgn05

OSU gave Williams fits because for all his talent, he still hasn’t been able to make plays consistently when you take his first read away from him. Rising exhibited the same thing earlier this year, especially locking on to Kuithe.

If Rising is willing to trust his receivers to make plays (WR, Slot or TE) he will have plenty of chances to spread the field. OSU isn’t good enough at DB to shut everyone down all game so if 7 will stand in there and pick the best matchup, he’ll have success like he did against them last year. But he has to take a shot deep, even if it’s a deliberate overthrow. And I don’t mean the 6th variation of a flea flicker that Ludwig dials up.

If you look at the most explosive passing games of 2021, each featured Theo Howard on a deep shot early in the game. They weren’t all completed, and for the most part, weren’t tried again later, but showing the willingness opened up the intermediate game. ASU was missing 4 DB’s last week and was able to keep Rising to 3 of 9 in the second half because they didn’t fear anyone getting behind them.

SOWhat
        Ute Fan
        @sowhat

You seem to be obsessed with “take the deep shot”, even if we just throw it up there? Doesn’t make any sense, if the defense is manning up the corners with two deep safety’s, which we have seen a lot, it wouldn’t have a chance. That’s why we go to the slot receiver or TE’s on medium crossing routes.
        Deep throws are usually thrown when there is only one deep safety. I don’t think we have a WR with the speed to go deep, at least so far this year.

2008 National Champ
          Ute Fan
          @cptmrgn05

Jaylon Dixon and Money Parks are two of the fastest players in the conference. Kincaid and Kuithe have both shown the ability to run deep routes. There is a deep route on 90% of the plays Ludwig calls. 4 verts and 989 are staples in any modern offense. I’m also not sure why you think a slot receiver or a TE can’t run a deep route. The routes are already there, I’m just talking about the willingness to utilize them.

I think you’ve listened to the talking heads too much. Single high doesn’t prevent you from throwing deep, any more than cover two, man, dime, nickel.,, If you want a masterclass in why taking a deep shot is valuable, watch the Rose Bowl again. Smith-Njiba didn’t just magically start turning 10 yard crossers into TD’s. Utah had been shutting down the running and intermediate passing until Stroud took the top off.

UteFanatic
      Ute Fan
      @utefanatic

Look for Utah to run the ball, a lot. OSU is pretty good against the pass, but not great against the run.

Viewing 7 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football What do you expect from our passing game tomorrow?