What is the drop dead date for Cam’s return

Viewing 7 reply threads

AZUTE
      Ute Fan
      @azute

What’s the point of having him back for meaningless games against the likes of ASU, Arizona and Colorado?

If the surgeon doesn’t clear him 100%(as it should be)by the 8th 9th week of the season what’s the point?

Utah is not going to beat USC, Oregon, and Washington without Cam but Utah can beat Cal, ASU, Arizona, and Colo with Nate and this D. Finish 8-4 and a mid level bowl game with a chance at 9 wins.

Give Nate and Rose another month of practice reps preparing for the bowl.

belli1976
      Ute Fan
      @belli1976

Maybe this is been talked about and I missed.

Would Cam be granted a medical red shirt and come back next year?

The Miami Ute
        Ute Fan
        @themiamiute

As per the regs, he should be able to since he meets all of the requirements unless his 2020 season counted as a medical redshirt. The real question is if he would want to and if Whitt would want him back for a sixth season with the program. We don’t know, but you’d have to think that the possibility exists that Rose or Johnson would at least ponder a transfer if they were facing another season of being on the bench.

alexsmith
          Ute Fan
          @alexsmith

Yes, he is eligible for this. 2020 is only counted as his covid season

Central Coast Ute
          Ute Fan
          @flip2848

I don’t think 2020 counts as a medical redshirt for him because everyone was granted one free covid year. He has his redshirt in 2018, had to sit and lose a year of eligibility in 2019, free 2020 and then 21 and 22 were normal. I’d think he can get the medical redshirt if needed.

The Miami Ute
            Ute Fan
            @themiamiute

Thanks for clearing that up. I didn’t know if the fact that 2020 was a medical redshirt year for Cam affected his ability to get another one.

Central Coast Ute
              Ute Fan
              @flip2848

Yeah I would think he could get one more year but not 100% sure on that. The drawback for him would be he’s only getting older and I’m not sure NFL scouts might ding him for that. But on the other hand, how would NFL scouts treat it if he only plays in 3 or 4 games this year after major knee surgery? I guess we’ll see what happens.

The Miami Ute
                Ute Fan
                @themiamiute

Cam will be 25 well before the 2024 season starts. He’d be 26 right about the same time that the 2025 NFL draft takes place. That’s at least four years taken off a typical NFL career. He’s definitely got a lot to think about and that’s not even adding to the equation that maybe Whitt might be ready to move on as well.

2008 National Champ
              Ute Fan
              @cptmrgn05

2020 isn’t a medical. Everyone got a free year for 2020, no matter their playing status so he wouldn’t be able to apply for a medical based on 2020. 2023 is the year he can apply for it, but if he comes back and plays the rest of the year, it would not be granted.

On a completely different note, does anyone really want another year of will he/won’t he? I said in early spring that Rising coming back for 2023 moved the future of the QB room decisions back a year. Moving it back another year doesn’t do anyone any good besides Rising. My name would be in the portal as soon as the first window opens up if I was anyone else in that room knowing that I was going to have to sit another year no matter how I performed. Why would I want to subvert my future for Rising’s?

The Miami Ute
                Ute Fan
                @themiamiute

Yeah, you’ve got a point. Friction points in the QB room not only develop when you bring in a transfer. They also occur when someone unexpectedly stays longer in the program and blocks someone else’s ascension.

2008 National Champ
                  Ute Fan
                  @cptmrgn05

If we ignore all of the other potential domino’s that could fall pending whatever Rising decides to do, I think he’s got two different options to get another year. Throw 2020 out because I just don’t see the NCAA doing anything other than saying “we already gave you a free year for covid, now you want us to give you a 2 for 1?”

Option 1 – Don’t play this year. Use the comparables of players like Hooker and Murray who have shut it down for 2023. Say that the knee wasn’t structurally sound enough to play without risking permanent damage. It’s a decent argument for why he lost his last year of eligibility.

Option 2 – Play this year and still apply for a waiver. In this case, he would be claiming disparate treatment in 2019. Since waivers to play immediately were necessary because the one free transfer rule had not been adopted yet, it required the school he was leaving from to approve as well as the NCAA. Chip Kelly told the NCAA that UCLA would not oppose anyone transferring and all UCLA transfer were rubber stamped. Justin Fields claimed he heard one person in a crowd drop an N bomb and got to play. Texas opposed transfers and so Rising was forced to sit.

It was because of schools like Texas that the one free transfer rule was put in place. Someone more familiar with the law would have to say whether what I’m proposing has a chance. That time period was also when the Mississippi players sued the NCAA to get to transfer after their coach got fired which is why Deion and Dillingham were able to clean out their rosters this year after that rule change. So essentially Rising would be arguing that the NCAA had bad rules which they changed, but because of the timing he was negatively affected.

ArcheryUte
      Ute Fan
      @craig

I am with you on ASU and Cal… but that AZ game scares me.

DataUte
      Ute Fan
      @scotwaye

I think you put your best players on the field when you have them. But coaches have to define what ‘best’ means at any point in time.

There are no ‘meaningless games’ in the PAC (ok, I’ll give you ASU haha). But you still play your best until the outcome is certain, then put in others for experience.

Cam is still listed as starter on depth chart, so when he is cleared cleared and ready, he will assume starter duties and Nate (or Rose?) will come in to get experience. That’s just how it works. Maybe even Cam will play well enough that it makes it certain he goes and sees what work he could get in the NFL or USFL or whatever. I still haven’t decided how I feel about a possible medical redshirt – certainly we would lose Nate and/or Rose but it would push our 2023 expectations into 2024 (with a 12-team playoff and a new conference). Maybe we could convince Nate to switch positions (probably not) and Rose is the next Rising/Smith/whomever. We do need more qb depth, but maybe Botari or Howard will take the next steps.

alexsmith
      Ute Fan
      @alexsmith

I’d say soft drop dead is Saturday, but the last last last drop dead would be Oregon only if we beat USC

highlandute7
        Ute Fan
        @highlandute7

I would be totally fine if Cam came back just for a win against U$C. That would be well worth it.

The Miami Ute
          Ute Fan
          @themiamiute

The best part of that scenario is seeing Williams’ reaction to another loss to Cam.

Jim Vanderhoof
      Ute Fan
      @jvhoofs

I think we only lose Broughton on defense. Get Cam and Kuithe the medical year. All but one offensive lineman back. Pick up a couple portal wr’s. Easier league next year and expanded playoff.

Once in a lifetime chance to get to the final four. Whitt retires and I spend the last of my retirement going to playoff games. Almost perfect scenario. Ute Hub rise and shout! Cougarboard goes nuts.

The Miami Ute
        Ute Fan
        @themiamiute

From your lips to God’s ears…seriously…

highlandute7
        Ute Fan
        @highlandute7

Battle is a senior, no?

2008 National Champ
        Ute Fan
        @cptmrgn05

Broughton was in the 2019 class so he would have one more year. He only played two games in 2021 so that would be his redshirt year.

Roy Rangum
      Ute Fan
      @royrangum

If Cam is going to come back this year at all, I think the drop dead date is in time for Oregon. He would still have 5 regular season games (against two of our toughest opponents) plus an assumed bowl game to show that he is back and ready for the NFL.

That said, if he isn’t back in time for USC, emotionally I will stop holding out hope for Cam.

I love Cam and this team, but this playing on the hopes of fans has really sucked.

5 2

idahoute
      Ute Fan
      @tfute

I can’t believe this many people think that Cam returning is somehow going to change the decimated offense!! What makes you think that an 80-90% Cam is going to win games. The guy hasn’t played in single live “tackle” down since last year. He definitely has limitations likely both physically and mentally and is hesitant to go under center knowing the impossible task of resurrecting the dead. Who is he going to throw to? Who are we going to saddle in the run game for desperate yards? If you don’t have a run game then you can throw in a play action pass offense. Losing Bernard was fatal. His utility role allowed everyone to focus on their specialty. Now everyone is unsure of themselves. Wish it were otherwise but read the tealeaves. bummer

The Miami Ute
        Ute Fan
        @themiamiute

You might be right but we won’t know until he actually plays. Plenty of times in my life, I’ve seen QBs come in and have completely different results with the same players. Maybe it’s the attitude and confidence that they bring with them. Maybe it’s the fact that they’re better.

For example, you can go back and see the difference in Utah’s offense when Brewer was QB and when Cam replaced him. Just completely different as if a bolt of energy had been shot through them. Personally, I’d take an 80-90 percent Cam, if he feels he can definitely go, than any other QB currently on the roster.

Jim Vanderhoof
          Ute Fan
          @jvhoofs

Well said Miami. Cam is the alpha dog. He is the leader and others will follow. Just his presence make us better. Not to mention his knowledge of the playbook.

Receivers and tight ends work harder to get open. The San Diego State game was a prime example. Defense can’t just play the run.

He may not have the greatest arm and running will be limited but don’t underestimate leadership and experience . Whitt knows he sees it everyday.

Charlie
            Ute Fan
            @charlie

There is no drop dead date for Cam’s return. An 80-90% Cam would improve the Utah offense at any point. He is that much better than the current options. The RBs, WR, and OL would also quickly look better. But the longer a great QB is out the more there is doubt that 80-90% will be realized. The same could be said for Kuithe. There was concern about Huntley with a leg injury because his legs were a key part of the game. The question is when and what percent is realized in the process. I expect quite an uptick when it happens but will be patient with his first game back much like last year.

Tony (admin)
          Admin/Founder
          @admin

I will take an 80-90% Cam too. But I seriously worry about him getting re-injured if he’s not really “ready.”

The Miami Ute
            Ute Fan
            @themiamiute

He needs to review old tapes of Dan Marino. It’s either pass the ball or sit on the ground once the rush gets to you. Marino was a slow, big guy and you hardly ever saw him get hit hard.

Viewing 7 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football What is the drop dead date for Cam’s return