What offensive plays are you calling tomorrow night?

Viewing 16 reply threads

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

You’ve just been made fan board offensive coordinator. What plays are you calling?

We are a running team and everyone knows it, especially with no Cam. I need to see some play action, quick slants, RPO’s. I don’t understand why we don’t do more play action. Suck the LB’s in and dump an easy short pass in the vacated area.

beckrich73
      Ute Fan
      @beckrich73

Or just get Nate outside where he can possibly do more damage with his feet and speed.

Charlie
      Ute Fan
      @charlie

Be careful changing plays because of what OSU shows because they often do not do what they show. Use quick options with TEs especially. Don’t use plays with deep handoffs and passes behind the line. Lean into the passing game instead of using the run to set up the pass. Nate should make them pay if they do not spy him. Throw long more often when 1 high safety. Surprise OSU and play Rising.

bopahull
      Ute Fan
      @bopahull

I say run up the middle only 75% of the time instead of 90%, that should fool them.

EagleMountainUte
      Ute Fan
      @battlegroundute

Oregon State has pretty good corners. But it is the middle of the field you need to attack.
      My hope is King, Yassmin and Suguturaga can get involved. I also think Parks or Matthews can have a good day.

ArcheryUte
      Ute Fan
      @craig

Lander Barton running wild cat

alexsmith
      Ute Fan
      @alexsmith

I was thinking on our first drive we come out and run 3 straight up the middle, with a fourth down pass to Vele streaking down the sideline for a touchdown.

Tony (admin)
        Admin/Founder
        @admin

From our own 11 yard line?

alexsmith
          Ute Fan
          @alexsmith

I like the sound of that!

Utes 69
      Ute Fan
      @slc123

throw the ball, and then throw some more!!

123punt
      Ute Fan
      @123punt

Punt on first down. They’ll never expect it.

Plus it gives our defense more chances to score.

ORute
      Ute Fan
      @grute

Get Mikey Matthews the ball in open space

DrahtUte
      Ute Fan
      @drahtute

I’ve been trying to decide how many true RPO plays they’ve tried with Nate. Sometimes it looks like it could have been an RPO play and Nate just made his decision without reading the defense. Other times it looks like an RPO set but the play might have just been a designed run or keeper with no reading the defense.

Seems like Nate could be exceptional at RPO, but do we think he’s good at making the right read yet?

Tony (admin)
        Admin/Founder
        @admin

At the current moment he’s a keep-first, analyze later status.

ReconUte
      Ute Fan
      @reconute

Line Cam up in the slot with Nate at QB. That’ll throw them off.

UtesRule
      Ute Fan
      @utesrule

Run both Nate and Cam out for the first offensive play, with Nate at QB and Cam behind him as the lone RB, then roll out Nate for Cam to take a direct snap and throw a 75 yard bomb for a TD to Kuithe!

UtesRock
        Ute Fan
        @utahrockon

I was thinking the same thing but with JJ. It might be obvious with CR on the field.

Kirk Herbstreet
      Ute Fan
      @mariolemute

Flea-flicker.

UtesRock
      Ute Fan
      @utahrockon

QB sneak when it’s 4th and one!

pedro
      Ute Fan
      @pedro

We need more RPO’s. Nate can run from the outside. Get him out there, but give him pass options off of it. W Cam we ran those all the time and he isn’t a runner. IDK thought, maybe NJ shows something in practice that scares them from doing that.

2008 National Champ
        Ute Fan
        @cptmrgn05

hanging on to the football?

Hellhound152
        Ute Fan
        @hellhound152

Not to be wet blanket guy again. I think it is critical to point out once again that the RPO is an actual set of plays that are run from the pocket. It involves a QB wrap zone read concept usually with a slant route to the vacated zone. The play generally is analyzed at the line by counting the box (light box run, loaded box pass). Then the read on the play is the D-end/OLB depending on even or odd front for the dive followed by a progression to the Outside backer/Inside backer if the box is heavy to the vacated zone. If the pass is covered then the QB runs to where the backer would be if he had keyed on the QB run. Jared Goff was in an RPO concept 75% of the time at Cal and never ran.

The RPO is not a rollout concept that would be a bootleg concept which gives the QB the option to take off if the deep/short routes are covered. I know it is nitpicky but as Red said in the Shawshank Redemption “I guess I just missed Cam” or something like that. The board just seems to miss Cam and that is OK.

W16Ute
      Ute Fan
      @w16ute

I love that RB wheel route that Bernard would run. Saw that again last week with Glover, not the same but it’s progress.

But overall throws across the middle seem to be where NJ has had the most success and accuracy, IMO.

bopahull
        Ute Fan
        @bopahull

According to the data I’ve seen. He is most accurate rolling to his right and throwing to his left.

bopahull
        Ute Fan
        @bopahull

According to the data I’ve seen. He is most accurate rolling to his right and throwing to his left or up the middle. He is less accurate throwing to his right under any conditions, although there aren’t enough data points to really say anything for sure.

Viewing 16 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football What offensive plays are you calling tomorrow night?