Whitt said some interesting things on the radio today

Viewing 4 reply threads

ProudUte
      Ute Fan
      @proudute

I was out running errands and heard Riley interview Whitt. I am sure I will forget some things, but this is what I remember.

– Rising, Kuithe, and Barton are good to go and should be 100% for spring ball.

– Whitt did say that there are some guys who will be sitting out spring ball due to injuries. However, he did not mention any names.

– They need to get 1-2 scholarship QBs in the system before fall camp starts. They only have three guys right now and that’s not enough. Whitt did not say this, but he implied that they swang and missed on some guys.

– Isaac Wilson has not yet had surgery. This was a bit odd, but he said that some of this was out of his control. I don’t understand what that means.

– Cam Rising will be getting the number 1 reps (no contact) in Spring practice.

– He is pleased with the two new WRs they picked up in the portal. But, he said we want 1-2 more before fall camp.

– He said it would be difficult to get many more portal players who could be eligible for Spring ball at this point. However, he said they will get from 6 to 10 more before fall camp begins.

– They are looking at all of the new conference foes they have scheduled this fall. He said they are looking at everything from height to speed to style. He said they were looking at this before they started recruiting this class in preparation for this upcoming season.

– He feels like they have what they need to be competitive in the new league. He mentioned that there are some very good teams like TCU, both Kansas schools, OK State and Texas Tech. (I am sure that CB will go nuts later today because the Cougars were not mentioned.)

– He compared Carsen Ryan to the same kind of tight end as Kincaid (style not ability). He pointed out that Kuithe is a different style of player. He moves around a lot and will rarely play close to the tackles.

– He said that Smith Snowden will be playing Nickle. He said that Tao will likely be playing free safety but can also play CB.

– Whitt is high on the offensive line. He said we lost two great players but we have recruited well the last few years and we should be very good. (Interesting that we fans seem most worried about this position group, and he seems fine with the Oline.)

1 7

Utegator
      Ute Fan
      @utegator

He always seems fine with the OL. Wilson not having surgery yet is confusing and concerns me. This makes getting more QB’s even that more imperative. I guess Barnes should’ve stayed.

UtahUtesRock
        Ute Fan
        @utahutesrock

I think my biggest concern is at corner. But the head coach is defensive minded so if he’s good with what we got, I’m good.

Utah
          Ute Fan
          @utah

I’m not too worried about corner. Look at what we have:

Starters: Snowden and Vaughn. Both played solid last year, both have extremely high ceilings, both should be a lot better this fall. Two NFL potential corners is better than most.

For the third corner spot we have: Johnson (89) transfer from GT. He is a SR and former starter. A lot of experience. Calhoun (89) transfer from Michigan. He is a freshman. A lot of potential there. BUT, if everything goes to plan, they will be battling for backup reps because we have:

CJ Blocker. He redshirted for us and played in the bowl game. He was a 94 out of high school.

We have a ton of options, good returning starters and a lot of potential at CB. We should be fine there.

Ute Dub
        Ute Fan
        @chestercopperpot

I read on another board that Wilson needs a kneecap replacement, and the blood type of the new kneecap needs to match. I know this is hearsay, but that is what I read from a fan on a paid site.

1 1

The Miami Ute
      Ute Fan
      @themiamiute

So, the only scholarship QBs currently, or soon to be in the program, are Rising, Rose and Wilson? I guess you can also count Steve Smedley in a pinch, but he’s a walk-on. What about Luke Bottari? I thought he had some eligibility left.

1 1

Utah
      Ute Fan
      @utah

I don’t think I’d go to Utah if I was a QB right now. You know Rising is the starter and you know that Utah hopes Wilson is the future. That’s a tough spot to go to.

That being said, once spring ball is over…there will be a lot of QB’s that thought they would go to a P5 school and be given a starting spot who still don’t have a scholarship. I’d bet that Utah picks up another QB or two after spring ball.

As far as Wilson and his surgery goes…he is still going to camps, right? I know Utah/Whitt want him to get ready to play this fall, but it seems like he is still out there enjoying the experience of being a top flight QB and he is having fun with the accolades. In some ways this hurts Utah (he might now be ready to play in the fall) but in other ways it helps Utah (you can now tell QB’s that they are coming in to compete for the backup this year and starter if Rising is hurt and the starting job next year).

UtahMan17
      Ute Fan
      @utahman17

Wait what. Carsen Ryan similar to Kincaid? How? Kincaid was an uber-athletic big WR who put on extra weight to play TE and had to improve as a blocker and still is limited by his thin frame in the NFL, while Ryan is a big bodied blocking TE who has SOME receiving skills.

That had to be a comment about which position he’ll play, rather than their own play styles. He’ll be in the Miki/Fotheringham mold of play style. Play the same position as Kincaid yes (inline TE), but nothing like Kincaid’s style of play.

ProudUte
        Ute Fan
        @proudute

He did say that the best comparison would be Yassmin. He said Ryan will be nothing like Kuithe. He made it clear that he was not comparing Ryan to Kincaid in athletic ability.

Utah
          Ute Fan
          @utah

Honestly…it really seems like Ryan is more a FB/blocking TE. I’d bet we see him more lining up as a FB this year than going out for passes.

He’s an old school player. And I think Ludwig’s offense and all offenses going back to bigger guys will really take advantage of him.

Remember Shaun Asiata? Think that type of player.

concerned
            Ute Fan
            @concerned

How does he compare to Fotheringham? Better receiver?

Utesbyfive
              Ute Fan
              @utesbyfive

Fotheringham was an excellent receiver. He mossed a couple guys. They just didn’t call his number that much became he was a great blocker.

Utah
              Ute Fan
              @utah

I think I’d rather have Fotheringham. BUUUUTTT…let’s see. He looked good in the video of him floating around the other day. If he looks like that in pads…then he could be really, really good.

Viewing 4 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Whitt said some interesting things on the radio today