Whitt says that Rose has separated himself from Johnson

Viewing 5 reply threads

ProudUte
      Ute Fan
      @proudute

In an interview after practice yesterday – coach Whitt said that there is some separation between Rose and Johnson. Nothing was said about Barnes, so I don’t know if this means that as of yesterday Rose was QB2 or not. Whitt did say that Johnson had been hobbled some and that there was a long way to go this spring.
      I find his statement interesting because he rarely seems to talk about separation at the QB position during the spring. What does this all mean? I don’t know, but the coaches must think highly of Rose.
      OnlyU – what have you seen/heard?
      For some reason – I am a little disappointed. I really shouldn’t care but I guess I was hopeful that Johnson would be QB2 because I have seen his athletism on the field. That being said, I trust Whitt and Ludwig to make the right decision.

Tednab
      Ute Fan
      @tednab

Seems reasonable. .ideally you’re trying to avoid either one of them transferring . might come down to the third string by the end of the season

CoyoteUte
      Ute Fan
      @coyoteute

I’ve been pulling for Rose tbh. The reps he got leading the scout team last year are probably paying off this spring. Nate is an incredible athlete and I’m sure we’ll find ways to use him… even if it isn’t at QB. Excited for our future regardless!

enigami344
        Ute Fan
        @enigami344

Rose got to play against our own defense whole year last year as scout team, just like what Rising did when he first got here. Those reps are so valuable. I have also read that Rose was a more polished QB than Johnson out of high school, though the ceiling of Johnson is higher. 

GunthersRevenge
      Ute Fan
      @eldonbkimball

The backup QB decision seems like an important one for the coaches. Since both QBs are in the same class (redshirt freshmen I believe) seems like there would be a chance for the QB who is not named the backup to transfer. Although, it seems like the QB recruiting has really improved over the past couple years, so a transfer won’t hurt as bad as in the past. This is also a common occurrence at big programs.

Charlie
      Ute Fan
      @charlie

If QB2 ends up being someone with a very strong are there will be some advantages. Accurate long passes have been missing from our offense. As for a duel threat QB, I think the critical skill is the ability to keep eyes downfield and throw on the run. I am anxious to see if Johnson has this skill. As for our program, hopefully we always have multiple QBs with high expectations to determine every starter. I would like to avoid the situation we had when Rising was still in recovery and Brewer was the next best QB option.

Onlyu
      Ute Fan
      @uf8fl

Rose has been the better of the two this Spring BUT Nate has been a little banged up and really hasn’t been able to show as much as he’d like. Rose definitely had an advantage coming in after taking the reps with Scout team last year. The question is will he be able to keep that advantage over the next 5 months.

At the end of the day this is just a battle for QB2 and Barnes will jump into the mix after summer workouts as well. I still fully believe Cam starts game 1.

Lots of time for things to play out and maybe even a little psychological warfare being played by coach Whitt with comments in the media.

Add a couple pieces in the right spots in the next few months and we could be scary good.

Viewing 5 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Whitt says that Rose has separated himself from Johnson

• This topic has 6 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by Onlyu.