WR/TE Talent

Viewing 3 reply threads

uteboi
      Ute Fan
      @uteboi

Pick Six Preview’s pre-season publication has some praise for Utah’s receiving core.

Ranks Utah’s receiving core as the 14th best in the country. 

I know we’ve heard local media praise our receiving core before (typically not all the merited), but don’t really ever remember a national publication giving them attention. One of the several reasons I’m bullish on Utah’s offense. 

Also, WR’s/TE’s should put up bigger numbers if we do see the offense transition closer to a 50/50 run-pass balance. Last year only ~35% of Utah’s offensive plays were a passing attempt.

leftyjace
      Ute Fan
      @leftyjace

Stop. Just stop.
      You’re causing an uncomfortable reaction within me right now.
      MY HEART IS RACING!

rbmw263
        Ute Fan
        @rbmw263

There is no more sure thing on our team than the receiving core.  You can assume DL will be good, but inexperienced and more question marks.

Unfortunately without a OL that can give them time to run routes and a QB who can get them the ball they wont be very effective. Thompson/Dixon/Kuithe will be an insanely tough group to cover alone. Then add Covey/Nacua/Enis…. deep group. But Thats going to require a QB that can recognize and exploit those matchup advantages, make the reads (not locking on to a guy), and deliver an accurate ball. Thats relatively rare at the college level. And if he doesnt have time to throw, none of the above matters.

3 4

noneyadb
      Ute Fan
      @noneyadb

I’ll take UW’s receiving group over Utah’s anyday.

RiseasUtes
        Ute Fan
        @riseasutes

I would take our TEs, which this list includes.  Our conference does have some teams with great WRs though, Washington included.  ASUs are young but they just added 3-4 4* WRs in last years recruiting class, so they will should be up there soon.

1 5

noneyadb
          Ute Fan
          @noneyadb

Thompson is injury prone, Covey hasn’t been the same since 2015, now add on a brutal knee injury. Ennis barely even got looked at last year, and it wasn’t that long ago that everybody thought he was leaving. Unless something changes with Whitt’s offense, pass protection, and Ludwigs playcalling, Utah doesn’t have the system inplace that is going to put up the type of production needed for a top 13 ranking… Kuithe had some great games but good defenses took him away and there was nobody else, and no time… But its a new season,  just the same philosophies.

rbmw263
        Ute Fan
        @rbmw263

You must not know that UW lost Fuller Hunter Bryant and Baccelia to the league. Youd take Cade Otton and Terrell Bynum over Kuithe and Dixon/Enis/Covey? As of now Thompson is better than Puka. Regardless Utah is deeper and more experienced. UW receiving is young with potential though

Ute2
      Ute Fan
      @ute2

It’s 2020 so naturally our pass catching core is one of the top in the country and our secondary is on nobody’s list.

Tony (admin)
        Admin/Founder
        @admin

Hell froze over.

rbmw263
        Ute Fan
        @rbmw263

This could be our worst DL in a long time too. Some young potential but overall inexperience and no clear stud a la Lotulelei sr/Riley/Orchard/Dimick/Lotulelei Jr/Fotu/Anae etc. Weve gone from one dominant guy to the next for the last decade there and im not sure I see it there this year. 

Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football WR/TE Talent