Great win. A couple of usual complaints.

Viewing 4 reply threads

Anonymous
      Inactive

That Freshman kid or whatever is a great player when he actually dribbles the ball. I think they had about four traveling calls in a row before it was called. Resulted in at least 8 or 9 points for Cal.

I know the officials have a tough job but man it has been horribly inconsistent all year. I feel bad for these College players never knowing what will be called or how.

Closing out games again seems to be an issue. Taylor a senior player passes to Poeltl twice in that final minute or so. Mental lapses like that results in going to OT needlessly. Duke and the Stanford game come to mind.  Poeltl has improved from the line but he shouldn’t be taking the free throw attempts.

Nice to see Chapman step it up this game. I also don’t remember hearing I. Wright play at all. I liked that a lot he is awful.

Anonymous
      Inactive

And Reyes gave us his obligatory brick against glass layup fail.

I didn’t really notice all the claimed missed travel calls on Jalen Brown. He is simply a blurr. Very good player.

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

Nice win. Yes. Reyes, yes. Loveridge is MIA for most of the game.

The team as a whole seems to be improving, especially Poetl and Kuzma with a little bit of Chapman, Taylor and Tucker as well.

We need to be able to step on the throat of these teams and not let them back in. We were up 31-18 in the middle of the first half, only to end the half up 35-34. We gave up a lead in the 2nd half as well.

Tony (admin)
        Admin/Founder
        @admin

The officiating last night was especially bad. There were several non-calls like when Kuzma was practically mauled and decapitated. Then there were ghost calls, like two horrid ones called on Poetl when he didn’t even touch the offensive player.

Anonymous
          Inactive

Don’t forget when they called fouls on the floor on Poeltl.  When they were clearly in the act of making a basket.

TheUteBlog
            Ute Fan
            @theuteblog

Right. They don’t call a continuation on Poetl but on the following play they call an and-1 on Cal when the guy shot it 15 minutes after the whistle blew. Not consistent at all.

Anonymous
      Inactive

Look at the stat line and the team shot 48% from the field. However, Loveridge was MIA and Taylor was like 4-13 (several 3s saved him plus 5 FTs to get him 15 points). So the outside shooting game was not great. What won the game was taking the ball to the rack and good defense. Jalen Brown was nearly half the scoring for Cal.

Anonymous
        Inactive

Yes please take the ball to the rack.  Utah starting to settle for early jumpers and it would lead to Cal making their runs.

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

Cal decided not to double Poetl. They were just trying to throw big guy after big guy on him. That strategy did not work for them.

Viewing 4 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Basketball (Men) Great win. A couple of usual complaints.