How to Filter Forum Categories

Viewing 5 reply threads

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

New Feature Task: Add a filter to allow users to customize which forums they see.  Allow users to “uncheck” categories they do not want to see.  Make the interface clean and unobtrusive by hiding the control panel and opening it when the user clicks the category button.

How To: To filter your content (currently home-page only) click on the “category” button (1st image below).  A panel will slide open showing all of the categories (2nd image below).  Check or uncheck categories.  Hit submit. The page will refresh and the new filter will be enabled.  User default is to view all categories.

UteHub Forum Category Filter

UteHub Category Filter

jrj84105
      Ute Fan
      @jrj84105

Nice work. Does your filter have the ability to default to BYU, religion, politics unchecked?
      Also, did you decide to apply the filter to the new posts view?

Tony (admin)
        Admin/Founder
        @admin

I’m still working on fixing something.  I tried the filter and couldn’t see this post!  I have a couple of things to work on… 

jrj84105
          Ute Fan
          @jrj84105

Tony- are you on Rivals? The layout there allowed for a 50 page BYU thread that was completely unfindable unless you were a participant. I think that’s the holy grail for a Ute fan site- to allow the off Topic stuff to flourish while being largely invisible. It’s hard to execute, but the filter looks like a good start.

Tony (admin)
            Admin/Founder
            @admin

Nope.  Never been to Rivals.

SkinyUte
      Ute Fan
      @skinyute

Nice work Tony.

I don’t personally have issues with “off topic” stuff, but I know it bugs those who want to only focus on the Utes. Hopefully this will be a good solution.

Tony (admin)
        Admin/Founder
        @admin

Still probably not working right…  Hope to have it 100% here in a few minutes.  

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

Ohhhh… I think I got it now.  

jrj84105
      Ute Fan
      @jrj84105

Looks like the unchecked categories defaults back to all checked if you log out then log back in. 

It looks like you’re close to reaching the holy grail of hiding the off topic stuff from general browsing.

Tony (admin)
        Admin/Founder
        @admin

Try it again.  I had something wrong on the db side.  You were probably reading my settings.

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

I “think” this should be all working.  Any reports?  Those of you who want to filter out politics or the zoob category or whatever, is it working for you?

Viewing 5 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Ute Hub Site How To Use Ute Hub How to Filter Forum Categories