THIS IS NO LONGER A TEST! Threaded vs Non-Threaded Replies

Viewing 14 reply threads

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

An option I have here for the reply format is “threaded” vs “non-threaded.” In threaded replies the reply is indented from the post the person is replying to. Unfortunately the best example of this I can think of is at cougarboard, with the little lines on the left of the replies. The issue with the threading is when there are more and more replies to replies, the indenting gets out of control and mushes the content into a narrow window. It is especially bad on mobile. I fixed up the mobile a bit, but it’s not great. The replies, not matter how many there are, go on forever with no “next page” or paging. That’s kind of lame. Below is a threaded example.

Utefans

The thing I LIKE about the threading is that you can somewhat tell who is replying to who.

A few minutes ago I switched threading off. It makes the replies, all posts, align vertically. It is much more sharp looking and displays awesome on mobile without ever squishing the posts into smaller and smaller pieces. It also adds paging which I can control, so like 10 posts and then you hit “next page” or #2 or whatever. Below is a non-threaded example.

non threaded

I like non-threaded because it looks better, especially on mobile. The drawback is that I can’t tell who replied to who…. They’re just all replies under one topic.

Let me know what you think. I’m trying to make it better and both have their good and bad points.

• This topic was modified 8 years, 6 months ago by Tony (admin).

Tacoma Ute
      Ute Fan
      @tacomaute

Personally I like the threaded but whatever the most people like is fine.

Wilson’s Mustache
        Ute Fan
        @sigmaute

Same here, I like the threaded. It was a nice medium. It is hard to see who replied to who & it gets too clicky having to go from one page to another IMO.

Newbomb Turk
        Ute Fan
        @newbombturk

I like threaded

jrj84105
      Ute Fan
      @jrj84105

Threaded.

Virginia Ute
      Ute Fan
      @virginiaute

Threaded vote here. Or maybe there’s a way to put that as a feature for some users to turn on.

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

Test over. Back to threaded.

GadValleyUte
      Ute Fan
      @maximumkungfu

Tony this site just gets better every day. Thanks for your hard work. Also I k ow you’ve already made the call but I vote threaded too

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

Hopefully the Utes will win just like threaded did…

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

I tweaked the threaded format a tiny bit. The indents are smaller and there can be 10, not 5 of them. That should help prevent the content from getting smashed to the right.

LiquidUte
      Ute Fan
      @liquidute

It seems better from the changes you made. Befoe, stuff was getting pretty smashed to the right. Now, not so bad. Thanks.

BioUte
      Ute Fan
      @bioute

It’s hard for me to see the threaded view now. Any way to change the background color if it’s a reply? Kind of like this?

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

Hey @BioUte that’s definitely possible. I’ll have to look at the structure of the main topics and their replies, but what you are showing above, or something closer, could be doable.

Thanks @LiquidUte. Someone over at another site was saying UH sucked because of that issue. Guess it doesn’t suck anymore. 🙂

UGLI baby
      Ute Fan
      @uglibaby

Non threaded. 100,000,000%

With it threaded, someone makes a reply but you open up the thread and can’t tell where, because it’s somewhere in the middle of all the responses. So the newest post in a thread can go unseen if it’s someone responding to something from a while back.

A message board should flow like a real life conversation, which would be best represented by non threaded, and quoting people’s posts when you reply to them.

JDub1942
      Ute Fan
      @jdub1942

No opinion. You’re welcome.

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

When things are settled here I may end up using some of my rusty PHP skills to create some different options.

Ute Fan
      @nkirkham

Personally, I definitely prefer the threading. Thank you for all the hard work, and asking for (and listening to) feedback from the masses.

Viewing 14 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Ute Hub Site Comments and Suggestions THIS IS NO LONGER A TEST! Threaded vs Non-Threaded Replies