Whitt said that Cory Butler-Byrd will also see action on offense. WOOT WOOT!

Viewing 5 reply threads

89ute
      Ute Fan
      @89ute

TRIPLE THREAT: Whittingham said that cornerback Cory Butler-Byrd, who was moved to defense from wide receiver during camp, will also see action on offense this season. He’s a major contributor on special teams, too, as evidenced by his 98-yard kickoff return for a touchdown against Fresno State.

“He’s playing good defense for us right now. Obviously, he’s a weapon in the return game,” Whittingham said. “And so the next step in that progression is to see if he can help us on offense. That’ll happen at some point in the season.”

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865637313/Utah-notebook-Bookers-rushing-numbers-on-the-rise.html

GadValleyUte
      Ute Fan
      @maximumkungfu

Does Domo’s return have anything to do with this (enabling not forcing since we’ve got 3 CBs we’re comfortable with) or is it just the recognition we need more help at WR?

FormerUteSax
        Ute Fan
        @formerutesax

I would guess both

89ute
          Ute Fan
          @89ute

I would further guess that in means Tim Patrick may not be walking through that door anytime soon. Maybe the same with Raylen Singleton? I wan’t to stress that this is nothing more than a guess by me. I’m pretty sure Tim Patrick did not travel with the team to Fresneck.

jrj84105
            Ute Fan
            @jrj84105

I was having the same thought. If Singleton and Patrick are no goes, guys like Byrd and Hatfield might get a shot at offense for nothing other than their ability to be physical in blocking.

Summit Ute
        Ute Fan
        @summitute

What a great steal for the offense….too soon?

Anonymous
      Inactive

This is great news. Dynamic playmakers and getting them some space is what needs to be done. Hope Wilson is healthy.

Texasute
      Ute Fan
      @texasute

Having a WR who can stretch the field is a good thing. Even if it is mostly used as a decoy. A CB and / or a safety will have to cover him (or at least think about him) which can open things up for the run game.

SouthJordanUte
      Ute Fan
      @southjordanute

While this idea is very cool I wouldn’t get our hopes up too much. Butler-Byrd is listed as a starting CB. If he was a backup I’d be more confident we’d see him more. I doubt we see much of him on offense at all.

Anonymous
        Inactive

Utes need a deep threat Oregon is going to key on Booker all game. You have to punish a safety over the top eventually.

rbmw263
          Ute Fan
          @rbmw263

I wonder why we havent seen more of Fulks

Chris
      Ute Fan
      @csarge523

On CBB’s Instagram account this summer, he posted quite a few videos of him running routes and WR drills and he looked really good and quick. Would love to see him get a chance on offense. It can’t be any worse than what we already have.

89ute
        Ute Fan
        @89ute

At the beginning of fall camp he was a WR. So he’s got some reps under his belt. Later, he asked to be given a shot at CB and he stuck there.

Tacoma Ute
          Ute Fan
          @tacomaute

He’s stated quite emphatically that he is much more comfortable at CB. I’d love to see him play both though. It would help our offense and it would give him more on field time now that Domo is back.

UteStuckInSeattle
        Ute Fan
        @utestuckinseattle

2 of 3 key items needed to a good receiver.

I wonder how his hands are.

Viewing 5 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Whitt said that Cory Butler-Byrd will also see action on offense. WOOT WOOT!