11 Reasons Why (*Barring Injuries*) The Utes Are Going 11-1:

Viewing 3 reply threads

gothamute
      Ute Fan
      @gothamute

1. USC was this year’s WTF loss. We have one every year, but it’s already happened. Re-watch the game and you’ll see that other than fumbling away a sure score and giving up 2 big plays (the sack that wasn’t + the DBs pinballing each other off the play on the ball they were otherwise in position to make… and yes, I know that JJ also gave up a long TD, but it was a near perfect throw/catch that IMO still would have beaten even tighter coverage)… *sigh*

2. While ASU has often had our number, we will beat them easily this year. I respect Herm’s coaching (and recruiting) ability a ton, but they have too many inexperienced guys in key positions on both sides of the ball. They will not be able to handle us this year.

3. Cal is the obvious “trap” game left on the schedule… and while their D is legit and we may not have the level of offensive production in that game that we have otherwise produced this season, they simply don’t have the offense to do much against our D. I think we win this one comfortably.

4. In the last 4 meetings, Utah has basically played Washington to a tie, with literally one strange play deciding the outcome of each game (P12 ‘Ship Pick 6 off the leg, ’18 RegSeas our lineman inexplicably fumbling out of bounds a sure Pick 6 AND the dropped TE screen in the end zone, the ’17 timeout, and the ’16 uncalled blocks in the back on the Pettis punt return)… and compared with their respective teams from last year, Utah is better and Washington is not. I had us going 10-2 at the beginning of the year, losing to USC and UW… but now, from what I’ve seen from both teams, I think we win this game… even on the road.

5. The biggest challenge vs. UCLA….. never mind.

6. On the road at ‘Zona also looks like a potentially dangerous game… until you actually watch them play and realize that they just aren’t very good. Khalil Tate is a seriously gifted athlete who for whatever reason not only hasn’t developed as a QB but has seriously regressed. They really ruined him. And they have no viable plan B.

7. 2019 Colorado is pretty much 2018 Colorado with a different HC. W.

8. Offensive skill position depth. I cannot believe that I just wrote that. !!! I went to my first Utes football game over 35 years ago, and never in that time have we been close to 6+ deep at WIDE RECEIVER *AND* at Running Back… when you think of the recent struggles at WR (even last year), it’s almost hard to believe. But yet… true!

9. Huntley’s offseason weight/muscle gain and improved decision making should enable him to avoid injury and play the whole season. Even if (God forbid) he does get hurt, I think Shelley can lead the team to Ws in every remaining game (with the possible exception of Washington).

10. We don’t face another team whose passing attack scares me very much (including UW). The best passing Os on the schedule this year are already behind us. I just don’t see another game where we could get beat by giving up multiple big passing plays over the top… and nobody can run on us effectively.

11. Mid-season KoolAid should be fun too!!! Activity on UteHub sure seems to have fallen off post-USC… too many people taking this too seriously maybe? Football is just entertainment at the end of the day, but isn’t it more fun to find reasons to be excited rather than depressed?? Winning championships is hard, no matter the league, and as someone who grew up on 1980s Ute football I think it’s pretty awesome we’re even in this position. So… Go Utes!!

SalUteopia
      Ute Fan
      @saluteopia

You mean 13-1, right?? 🌹

PlainsUte
        Ute Fan
        @plainsute

Well, he didn’t address Oregon…

gothamute
        Ute Fan
        @gothamute

I love the sentiment! Yes, I do ultimately think we’ll go to P12 ‘Ship and meet/beat Oregon, but theoretically we could go 11-1 and not be in that game unless USC loses again… which I think they will both at home vs Oregon and on the road at ASU…

EagleMountainUte
      Ute Fan
      @battlegroundute

Great post and I agree on all points. It really feels like Utah has turned the corner offensively under Ludwig. Drops by wideouts were happening at a regular rate to start the season but nothing against OSU. Nacua had an amazing catch. Kuithe caught his first one. The depth at RB is getting amazing as it is an embarrassment of riches. Too little snaps to feed a rushing attack of monsters. I love this team. Huntley is playing like the best P12 era Qb Utah has had. 

The defense is quickly becoming one of the best ever. The intelligence and experience are unrivaled in Utah history. It certainly feels like nothing can stand in our way until Oregon. Who I don’t worry about because of the head coach. 

I feel c**ky and I feel it isn’t just hype. I think it is justified. I am well aware of the bad loss Utah suffered after an impressive Oregon road win. This somehow feels different I don’t know. Just all around Utah is better. Even after losing the Umana we didn’t see silly snaps and tons of false starts. Ludwig is dialed in and ready to call any play he wants. 

Central Coast Ute
      Ute Fan
      @flip2848

Unfortunately Utah can go 11-1 and still lose the division to a 9-3 team.

gothamute
        Ute Fan
        @gothamute

Yep. But I think USC will help us out by losing 1-2 more games, so we should still play for the P12.

Central Coast Ute
          Ute Fan
          @flip2848

I hope you’re right. I still think SC needs to lose two more for Urah to win it though.

Matthew Thomas Castleton
            Ute Fan
            @mcastleton928

Only if Utah loses again. Remember, tiebreakers only matter if you are TIED. Utah overcame losing the two team tiebreaker to ASU last year and found a way to win the division. They are perfectly capable of doing the same this year.

Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football 11 Reasons Why (*Barring Injuries*) The Utes Are Going 11-1: