4&5 star recruits on each CFP top 10 team

Viewing 8 reply threads

Ghost of the HEB
      Ute Fan
      @deseretgentlman

That, my friends, is what you call punching above your weight class.

Utebeam
      Ute Fan
      @utebeam

Wow, that is a huge disparity. I guess I understand why their fans are so p**sed if those teams aren’t top ten year after year. With 60 four and five star kids you better kick ass.

EagleMountainUte
      Ute Fan
      @battlegroundute

The whole star thing is meaningless without developing them. That is an obvious statement but look at USC. Also I always wondered about the whole star thing. Hard commits to certain schools automatically get a better rating.  

UM4G
        Ute Fan
        @um4g

Exactly, my understanding is that the star rating is just supposed to indicate how well the recruit could play starting as a true freshman – it isn’t supposed to indicate their ceiling or overall talent level.

So while that shows we only recruited 8 four & five stars, IMO the coaching staff has developed a lot of 3 stars into 5 star players. How many of those four & fiver star players have regressed due to bad development or are busts?

I’m not saying we shouldn’t strive for the four & fives stars, we absolutely should because JJ is a great example of what a four star turns into with Utah’s development, but I hate the pundits who always bring up the blue chip ratio as if it’s a law of the universe.

Would be interesting to see them do an updated evaluation on the teams and rate them now, to see if coaching development has brought Utah’s players up to par with those other teams.

89ute
          Ute Fan
          @89ute

Going back about two decades there has only been one team that has won a national championship with less than 45 blue chip players on the roster. I think it may have been Oklahoma in 2000.

Stars matter folks, they really do. There are examples of 45+ blue chip rosters that don’t do anything. UCLA historically is one of them. They have dropped off last 2 or 3 years but they have always been loaded with talent. USC of late, same thing and UW this year. It’s easy to point to these teams and say stars don’t matter, but you will not find a team competing for national titles without a 45+ blue chip roster.

Sure, there was an exception and there could be another.

Here is another thing to consider. Wisconsin has had some great teams, but they have few blue chip recruits. Their rosters typically have a half a dozen blue chips, a lot like us. Since 1998 they have had 11 plus 10 win seasons but can never quite get good enough to win it all.

Utesbyfive
        Ute Fan
        @utesbyfive

That’s true, but you have to admit, the 5 star recruits are way ahead of the 3 stars as players out of HS. Easier to develop a kid when he’s ready to compete as a frosh.

6 1

GameForAnyFuss
      Ute Fan
      @gameforanyfuss

Live look at Pace getting ready to post on this thread:

UteFanatic
      Ute Fan
      @utefanatic

A couple of observations:

1. Our HC and coaching staff are amazing.  Enjoy it while it lasts, because there is no guarantee the next HC will perform like this.

2. The fact that USC isn’t on this list is an embarrassment to their institution.  I don’t know without looking, but I would be willing to bet they have a similar number of 4/5 star players as the teams on this list (sans Utah).  It’s absolutely crazy how badly they underachieve given their talent level and status as a blue blood.  It’s pathetic, really.

89ute
        Ute Fan
        @89ute

USC has about 45 blue chips on their roster, Worshington has 46. (I specifically remember UW having one more than SUSC) I’m doing this from memory based on a tweet I saw at the beginning of the year. The tweet listed the number of blue chips on all the Pac-12 rosters.

UtahFanSir
          Ute Fan
          @utahfansir

Utah recruits the ESPN Top 300. I looked the other day at all of the unsigned kids in the Top 300. With a few exceptions, Utah has offered all of them. That is particularly true for any recruit in the Pac-12 footprint. It includes Texas and Florida, and states adjacent. Utah’s recruiting tapers off in the NE, but a few had Utah offers. I suspect most of the kids who are already committed had a Utah offer.

Many if not most of these kids sign elsewhere. Clearly, Utah prepares players above their star level. Utah is getting more and more players in the NFL and if I remember correctly some metric used by the pros, Utah is elite in this. Still, the number of highly ranked kids who commit is climbing at a snail’s pace. To be sure, joining the Pac-12 has helped Utah recuit higher ranked kids and dramatically increase depth.

Its hard for me to believe that Utah will have a lower ranked recruiting class this year. But it does appear to be headed that way. It is disheartening to look at the Top 300 and see how many kids are committed to the traditional Top 10-15 programs (with exceptions), including USC, Washington, and Oregon, compared to Utah.

If you look at the suite, Utah comes in with predominately 3* kids. Again, exceptions abound, Utah has picked up great 4* kids.

I’m still baffled by this. Is Utah too far away from three coasts? Is it in the way Utah deals with recruits and parents? For example, Utah lost Jayden Daniels to ASU because (among other things no doubt) Utah would not guarantee that he would start, which is the correct answer. ASU did. Is it because some folks think Utah is a LDS school? Is it because Utah does not have the storied past of for example USC, Ohio State, Alabama, Oklahoma, etc.?

I do look forward to the time when the state’s best players want to become Utes, and not Huskies or Ducks or Trojans or Bruins.

In the meantime, I am going to enjoy Utah’s great season.

Utesbyfive
            Ute Fan
            @utesbyfive

I agree. Enjoy the season. For conversation’s sake, it’s an interesting thing, our recruiting. I wonder if it’s just Whitt’s approach to it that keeps the 4-5 star kids from biting. In the AW era, it will be interesting to see if we hire a recruiter or not, and whether anything changes.

AlohaUte
      Ute Fan
      @alohaute

Man, I love this program. Whittingham is freaking incredible.

Dante Guardi
      Ute Fan
      @danteg12

pick 6 previews blocked me for some reason so i cant see. idk what i did but i mustve p**sed him off. sad cuz i actually loved his content

Dexter36
      Ute Fan
      @dexter36

It would be interesting to see how many are in the nfl from each team, does anyone know where this can be found?

Dexter36
        Ute Fan
        @dexter36

Here is the # of active NFL’ers from each team fwiw:

ohio state-52

lsu-42

alabama-62

penn state-36

clemson-34

uga-34

oregon-22

utah-20

oklahoma-34

florida-45

ayoriver
      Ute Fan
      @ayoriver

I can’t help but point out that this is looking at 4 and 5 stars, which is 8 to 0 for Utah. Not a single 5 star out there, which is why I’m so intrigued to see how the Mique Juarez situation works out. He will be the first 5 star I am aware of (albeit a few years removed from high school and with an injury history).

Viewing 8 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football 4&5 star recruits on each CFP top 10 team