4th seed?

Viewing 4 reply threads

bopahull
      Ute Fan
      @bopahull

According to ESPN700 if the Utes beat the trees Saturday and the Arizona ASU game turns out as expected, it doesn’t matter if Cal wins or loses, Utah will be the 4th seed.

Stradlater
      Ute Fan
      @stradlater

How would that work? Is it because Utah only played Arizona once and Cal lost to Arizona twice?

Milton Vanderslice
        Ute Fan
        @miltonvanderslice

That’s got to be the only way, but I hate to see any team punsihed in an unbalanced schedule.

Matthew Thomas Castleton
        Ute Fan
        @mcastleton928

How would that work? Is it because Utah only played Arizona once and Cal lost to Arizona twice?

That can’t be it. It’s WINNING PERCENTAGE against a team, not record. 0-1 and 0-2 are the same record percentage-wise because they’re both zero percent. It’s the same if you are 2-0 vs. 1-0. Both records are both 100 percent, so, there is no statistical difference.

Milton Vanderslice
      Ute Fan
      @miltonvanderslice

Is that right?  That can’t be right.

Cal beat ASU 81-65, 68-43

In what I read, since we have the same 2-0 record vs. ASU we keep dropping down the rankings of common opponents.

bopahull
        Ute Fan
        @bopahull

I have no idea, Bill Riley was the one who claims this is so.

sacute
        Ute Fan
        @sacute

The tiebreakers are the Arizona Wildcat losses, twice by Cal and once by Utah, rather than Arizona State Sun Devils.

Stradlater
      Ute Fan
      @stradlater

According to the Trib, about the only way the Utes don’t get 4th seed is if they lose to Stanford and Cal beats Colorado. Any other combination of results, except both teams winning and Wazzu beating UCLA, favors Utah.

GameForAnyFuss
        Ute Fan
        @gameforanyfuss

I can confirm this. If Utah wins and UCLA beats Wazzu, it doesn’t matter what Cal does – Utah will be the 4th seed.

I can also confirm that even the team didn’t know this until yesterday.

Tony (admin)
          Admin/Founder
          @admin

Wassu is not going to beat UCLA, so it’s all on us today. And stanford sucks. We should have beaten them easily at their place. But at the time there must have been some chemistry issues.

ironman1315
      Ute Fan
      @ironman1315

Tie breaker rules are weird.

Viewing 4 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.