A few camp notes

Viewing 6 reply threads

Onlyu
      Ute Fan
      @uf8fl

Banged up a hand so typing with one for a while!! Short updates.
      3 young guys making the OL competition VERY interesting with 1-2 seriously pushing for starting spots.
      Both transfer WR’s will be in the top group with Munir wedging himself in the top 6. Mikey will definitely contribute as well.
      Safeties are playing at a very high level and high quality depth at LB and both in and out on the DL. ZV is the lead CB and is our next shutdown guy imo.
      Yaz playing very well. Miki and Noah adding depth and versatility. More concerned with BK health today than I am with Cam. I still think there is a better than avg chance Cam plays game 1…3 weeks out still.
      Tao having an excellent camp. Smith as well. I think both will play.
      Defense appears to be VERY formidable.
      Young rb’s getting most of the live reps. Know what they have in the top 4. BRose was banged up as mentioned. Don’t know severity/recovery. I think NJ has a package regardless of QB starter but Cam definitely still in play at this point.

Redblood
      Ute Fan
      @redblood

Thanks @onlyU! Serious question, can part of the D looking formidable be our O playing without Cam? This is an honest question. Cam makes our O so much better you take for granted how he extends drives and just think our O is that good when reality is it is Cam.

Penn State game is an example. All the same players except Cam when he went down and then Penn State looks like the steel curtain after he goes down. That is why I’m worried about Fl. big time if Cam doesn’t play. Is our D really getting great looks from our O without Cam…

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

Sing. Sing to me.

Onlyu
      Ute Fan
      @uf8fl

Whitt has very quietly mentioned that this may be the best defense he’s ever coached across the board…”might” being the operative word. The talent and depth is real. However, Cam’s absence in team stuff so far would certainly have an impact on how well the defense is performing so it could be a little of both.

Tony (admin)
        Admin/Founder
        @admin

Sorry to hear about your hand. Hope it gets better quickly. #GoUtes

chinngiskhaan
      Ute Fan
      @chinngiskhaan

I am really excited to see what a more experienced/confidence ZV can bring to the team. Having a corner that is as fast and long as him will be a HUGE benefit to the defense. Also, I’m glad to hear our safeties are a strength of the team (I think Whitt mentioned that as well). That is soooo crucial to the success of our defense. It will be nice to have a guy back there that knows what he is doing finally.

This defense is going to be soooo so good. Safety was supposed to be our problem area on defense this year, and now it looks like one of our best and deepest groups.

The only thing I’m worried about is the idea that we’ve kind of put all of our eggs in the “healthy Cam Rising” basket. That being said, I think if he plays week 1 he’ll look fine. He played injured last year, I’m sure he could replicate that if asked to do so. It’s just a matter of priorities.

Rick
      Ute Fan
      @utebiquitous

I don’t know that I ever doubted our safety play coming into this year. I simply felt we had enough with developing depth. Bishop, Vaki and Ritchie are all players who combine physicality, athleticism and intelligence.

I want to see the growth we all hope for/anticipate in the defensive line. They appear loaded. I don’t worry about the tackles but will our ends rush the passer better and show the discipline to contain on the outside? That’s what I’m watching for.

OnlyU – interesting to read that the young running backs are getting most of the reps. That makes sense. As camp continues, I’d love to read who of the young backs is standing out.

Onlyu
        Ute Fan
        @uf8fl

All of the young backs have had their moments but Randle and Stanley have stood out for different reasons with Mitchell close behind.

22Ute22
      Ute Fan
      @utedagoat

Any update on CJ Blocker? I was just as high on him as Smith Snowden, if not higher.

Onlyu
        Ute Fan
        @uf8fl

CJ is gonna be a very good player but I lean to a RS this year if everything goes according to plan. High upside kid but we have experience on the outside this year so it will be tough to garner playing time. Firmly in the mix next year tho. Tao/Smith fighting for time at nickel.

Anfernee
          Ute Fan
          @anfernee

19 days till opener. What does your Nostradamus-like 🧠 say the odds Bad Moon plays?

Onlyu
            Ute Fan
            @uf8fl

60/40…Nate has had a couple really good days as well.

22Ute22
          Ute Fan
          @utedagoat

Forgot to ask about TE. With Kuithe being questionable, I would have assumed that King and Bentley would get the majority of the reps. If Kuithe isn’t ready, do we rely more on the WR’s? Are Miki and Noah viable receiving threats, or are they mainly blocking TE’s?

Central Coast Ute
            Ute Fan
            @flip2848

If Kuithe isn’t available, Yasmin will get the majority of reps. After him, I’m not sure.

Viewing 6 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football A few camp notes