Annual Father/Son College Football Game headed to Utah for USC game

Viewing 6 reply threads

Chase Barton
      Ute Fan
      @collegefootballfan95

Hey all,Every year my father and I pick a college football game to travel to and experience a new game day atmosphere. (Don’t worry we always root for the home team 5-0 so far) This year we have landed on the USC at Utah game and couldn’t be more excited. I have heard only great things about a game day at Rice-Eccles Stadium! Just wanted to reach out to see what recommendations you have for the following so we can ensure a great weekend in Salt Lake.

Food or breweries -Tailgate/Gameday traditions we need to experience. -Best seat locations inside stadium, better yet- let me know if anyone is selling two tix-Any other misc info that would help the experience.

Thanks in advance for the help and go Utes!

DieHardUtahUtesFan
      Ute Fan
      @diehardutahutesfan

Food: Ruth’s Diner (breakfast), The Pie Pizzeria, The Red Iguana, Crown Burger (the location on 200 S.).

Game Day: Just show up and be friendly, locals are accomodating.

Best seat location generally depends on time of day and weather conditions. We usually get one snow storm/cold snap before Halloween, it could happen that week. The people in the seats on the north end of the stadium saw boobs once and now they think they’re better fans or something.

You didn’t specify whether you’re driving in or flying in, but parking on campus can be generally difficult and a result in a very long walk across campus to the stadium. Public transit (light rail) can drop you off at the stadium.

Tony (admin)
        Admin/Founder
        @admin

Agree on the food choices, except I prefer the Crown Burger on Highland Drive and about 32nd south. My boy’s godfather runs that one. 

3 4

dystopiamembrane
      Ute Fan
      @dystopiamembrane

I always make a trip to Squatter’s Pub Brewery and enjoy a bottle of Outer Darkness.

3 13

dystopiamembrane
        Ute Fan
        @dystopiamembrane

Book of Alma: The Son of Alma, Chapter 40

13 And then shall it come to pass, that the aspirits of the wicked, yea, who are evil—for behold, they have no part nor portion of the Spirit of the Lord; for behold, they chose evil works rather than good; therefore the spirit of the bdevil did enter into them, and take possession of their house—and these shall be cast out into couter darkness; there shall be dweeping, and wailing, and gnashing of teeth, and this because of their own iniquity, being led captive by the will of the devil.

14 Now this is the state of the asouls of the bwicked, yea, in darkness, and a state of awful, cfearful looking for the fiery dindignation of the wrath of God upon them; thus they remain in this estate, as well as the righteous in paradise, until the time of their resurrection.

6 1

idahoute
      Ute Fan
      @tfute

welcome to Salt Lake City! Really cool that you do that with your dad. I’m sure you have some stories to tell. If you are staying one or two nights I would recommend staying downtown at either the five-star grand America or 4.5 star little America across the street. From there you can take light rail straight to the stadium and won’t have to worry about any parking. There are tons of amazing restaurants downtown. Market St. Grill is amazing . If you want a cheaper option  then I agree with the others crown burger for lunch is a local favorite. Ruth’s diner up Emigration Canyon is a Great meal and beautiful drive. After your breakfast continue up immigration Canyon over to parleys Canyon and come back down well worth the half hour detour.  The buffets and restaurants at Little or grand America are also excellent and you won’t have to go anywhere. Be sure to wear red and have fun. Also, disregard the jack wagon who posted the wine and scripture references. The person needs psychiatric help.  what are you going to do? Every town has them. 😉

idahoute
        Ute Fan
        @tfute

I mean beer reference. Looks like mud in a glass honestly. of course i know nothing about that

3 1

dystopiamembrane
          Ute Fan
          @dystopiamembrane

Yes, I was offering a brewery, as requested by our visitor. The scripture is offering a reference to our visitor regarding the name of the beer.

dystopiamembrane
            Ute Fan
            @dystopiamembrane

This beer is f**king delicious, by the way.

2 1

dystopiamembrane
        Ute Fan
        @dystopiamembrane

Thank you for the insult.

1 1

idahoute
      Ute Fan
      @tfute

👍 you do your thing. we are familiar with it

GameForAnyFuss
      Ute Fan
      @gameforanyfuss

If you’ve got a car and want to see some of the best scenery our mountains have to offer, I suggest you do lunch at Silver Fork Lodge. It’s in Big Cottonwood Canyon – just search it up on Google Maps.

eyesonU
      Ute Fan
      @eyesonu

Normal

false
      false
      false

EN-US
      X-NONE
      X-NONE

/* Style Definitions */
      table.MsoNormalTable
      {mso-style-name:”Table Normal”;
      mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0;
      mso-tstyle-colband-size:0;
      mso-style-noshow:yes;
      mso-style-priority:99;
      mso-style-parent:””;
      mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt;
      mso-para-margin-top:0in;
      mso-para-margin-right:0in;
      mso-para-margin-bottom:10.0pt;
      mso-para-margin-left:0in;
      line-height:115%;
      mso-pagination:widow-orphan;
      font-size:11.0pt;
      font-family:”Calibri”,”sans-serif”;
      mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri;
      mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin;
      mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri;
      mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin;
      mso-bidi-font-family:”Times New Roman”;
      mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi;}

Ruth’s is good but be prepared to wait.  As a local I can’t tell you the last time I went there for this reason.  But as a visitor it might be a good breakfast option if you have time to kill. Same goes for Red Iguana, although location 2 is a bit better in that regard.  Other options:

Blue Iguana:  Pretty close quality wise to Red Iguana imo with usually half the crowd.  Unless mole is your thing, then Red would be the choice. 

Lucky 13:  Great Burgers.  Full service bar too

Red Rock:  Solid brewery and food

Slackwater:  Good pizza and big beer selection.

9th south has some surprisingly good  food options.  Not far from the stadium area either.  Mainly lunch and dinner, although Pig and a Jelly Jar and the Park Café (on 13th, long waits here too) are breakfast joints. 

Tap house: awesome burgers, good beer selection, and nice patio

Manolis: Tapas and wine/beer. Sit down dinner

Barrio: Good tacos and nice patio.  A bit expensive for street tacos but decent quality

Sapa:  Good sushi joint and other offerings.  Check out the “hidden” bar area.   

Breweries:

You could do a brew tour starting at Level Crossing and hit Salt Fire, Shades, Roha, TF, Fishers, and end at Kiitos.  Don’t know how much time you’ll have but you’d be feeling pretty good afterward.  TF or Level Crossing would be my picks if you only have time for a couple.

Game/Tailgate: As others have said, bring a good attitude and you’ll be treated right.  Guardsman’s is the main lot.  There really isn’t a bad seat in the stadium, good sight lines throughout. 

I try and eat before I go so I don’t have to stand in the long ass concession lines.  It’s gotten bad since the renovations.

eyesonU
        Ute Fan
        @eyesonu

Uhh…not sure what happened to my post.  Tried to copy and paste.  Bad idea apperently

Viewing 6 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Annual Father/Son College Football Game headed to Utah for USC game