Anyone hearing rumors of Penix sitting out?

Viewing 8 reply threads

EagleMountainUte
      Ute Fan
      @battlegroundute

Washington fans supposedly worried about him just sitting this run out for the NFL.

The Miami Ute
      Ute Fan
      @themiamiute

That would be very interesting and would really set a precedent. I could see it happening if he had some lingering injuries that could affect his performance and draft stock. Remember, this is a guy that only played 18 games his first three years at Indiana because he suffered season ending injuries every year.

Rick Walker
      Ute Fan
      @big2890

If he sits out they might as well put Georgia in their place. Same idea as leaving FSU out, no quarterback equals no playoff spot

8 2

ProudUte
      Ute Fan
      @proudute

This whole thing is getting out of hand. I was not a fan of Phillips sitting out the Rosel Bowl. I get that players would sit out the Sun or Vegas Bowls. But, when you are playing for the national championship – come on – that’s crazy.

I think he plays.

RedRocks
        Ute Fan
        @hypodactylus

Yeah, it sucks. Unless the athletes are paid and under contract, there is nothing really to be done.

EagleMountainUte
          Ute Fan
          @battlegroundute

Literally these playoffs and bowls just line the pockets of rich institutions and people. I know we all say what about pride. That doesn’t exist anymore at the highest levels of College Football.

I can see the point behind someone who is first day pick sitting.

Penix is interesting. He seems to hold onto the ball to long and has a hitch in his throw. I think he only gets better playing behind an existing starter. Idk what a CFP run does other than cementing your legacy in Washington fans hearts.

Guys like Rising who need a big bowl or playoff run to improve their stock from UDFA or not drafted at all should participate. It is a giant stage to showcase your abilities.

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

I saw that a couple of days ago, butI thought it was a troll post.

ryynoo
        Ute Fan
        @ryynoo

You are certainly right about this.

Ute2
      Ute Fan
      @ute2

The irony would be hilarious.

Extra Medium
      Ute Fan
      @runningreddude

It would be the most baller move on the planet to sit out. I would LOVE to see it…now if the it were Rising in the same spot I’d be livid but man wouldn’t that be a HUGE FU to the CFP.

Utesenberg
        Ute Fan
        @dsolorio76

Explain. How would it be BALLER for a Heisman finalist to willfully abandon his team in their run for a national championship?

EagleMountainUte
          Ute Fan
          @battlegroundute

As a form of protest towards the CFP committee he literally explained it in his post.

PlainsUte
      Ute Fan
      @plainsute

He should sit out the CFP and say he’s going to watch the Orange Bowl because he expected to play FSU.

ryynoo
      Ute Fan
      @ryynoo

I haven’t heard a peep here in Seattle and I’m surrounded by UW grads and fans. Nothing in the news or blogs either. Where are you hearing this?

EagleMountainUte
        Ute Fan
        @battlegroundute

A few Washington fans I know around me repeated social medial posts. I think it is largely troll or over-dramatization of people sympathetic to FSU or fans of FSU.

ryynoo
          Ute Fan
          @ryynoo

I’m guessing so. There is so much hope/hype/excitement around the CFP around here and the 13-0 season that he’d get run out of town by an angry mob if he passed up this opportunity. Plus I still think he can improve his draft stock. He had some shaky halves of play in the 2nd half of the season.

The Miami Ute
            Ute Fan
            @themiamiute

You don’t improve or worsen your draft stock by your performance in one or two games. It’s the body of work that counts. Scouts are going to be looking at why Penix had mediocre to bad performances versus ASU, Wazzu, and Oregon State about as much as the games where he shined. This is especially so with regards to guys playing in the CFP. Whatever buzz they generate in early January has long fizzled out by the time the draft rolls around in late April. In addition, the recency bias created by a great performance in the combine trumps just about everything else.

Viewing 8 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Anyone hearing rumors of Penix sitting out?