Viewing 4 reply threads

uteinzoobcounty
      Ute Fan
      @uteinzoobcounty

Looking like Barnes tomorrow, Johnson hopefully gets some reps too

The Miami Ute
      Ute Fan
      @themiamiute

Massive props to KW for keeping a non-story front and center until hours before game time. Anyone with any experience with ACL injuries already knew that it was almost impossible for Rising to go in the first game.

10 3

Tacoma Ute
        Ute Fan
        @tacomaute

If true there is a serious problem with our QB development.

tanute3
          Ute Fan
          @tanute3

Don’t forget that Rose would be the starter here if not for a freak injury, and that Johnson missed the majority of spring with an injury. I don’t necessarily disagree that our QB development needs improvement, but Rose’s progression seemed positive before his injury

EagleMountainUte
          Ute Fan
          @battlegroundute

I see what you are saying. But at this point in Coach Whittingham’s tenure I have come to just accept it as a it is what it is.

I feel like it has always been a problem. But I will say for the first time since Utah joined the upper echelon of College Athletics they have a 2 deep Oline that is respectable. Which gives me hope for Rose and Johnson who haven’t bolted for the portal at this point.

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

Johnson always needs reps.

RoboUte
        Ute Fan
        @hamplate

May our team never lack a Johnson. For Tony’s sake.

Duhwayne
        Ute Fan
        @duhwayne

Some only get about ten reps per game, but probably better to have more than sixty for the experience.

I’m sure it gets tiring for Johnson just to get practice reps. Game time experience is better. Things slow down more and has better responsiveness to game situations.

thirtyfour-thirtyone
      Ute Fan
      @thirtyfour-thirtyone

I’m putting on my red goggles: Barnes is a Heisman candidate until proven otherwise, and he does have a perfect record as a starter.

Seriously though, I think he might play pretty well tomorrow night. If the Oline plays well, we run the ball well, and receivers get open, I think Barnes will hold up his end of the deal. We just need to score 1 more than Florida.

EagleMountainUte
        Ute Fan
        @battlegroundute

I hope I can eat crow.
        But your glasses are not red I think they are blacked out early. I just don’t see Barnes being anything more than a single read QB come game time.

The Miami Ute
          Ute Fan
          @themiamiute

Personally, I don’t think Barnes gets a chance to lose the game for Utah. If, during the first 2-3 series, he looks completely outmatched, KW will make a change to Johnson and run some version of the Wildcat (as in having the person playing QB mostly look to run instead of pass) with Johnson and Jackson getting all of the touches. It can happen. I once saw in 2007 Arkansas (with Darren McFadden and Felix Jones) beat eventual national champion LSU running exclusively their version of the Wildcat, which they called the “Wild Hog”. Make no mistake, the Wildcat is not an easy offense to defend if you haven’t prepared for it. What makes this more difficult for Florida is that both Johnson and Jackson are legitimate passers. Just my thoughts and I could be way off but just can’t see KW letting the Utes and Barnes get embarrassed in front of a nationwide audience.

EagleMountainUte
            Ute Fan
            @battlegroundute

Not a fan of the direct snap to JJ. Seems like he had struggles in that option pass crap they used to run. Give him a lane and shove the ball into his stomach is my opinion.

Oh man Miami…I can almost taste Football in the air. Getting hyped!!

The Miami Ute
              Ute Fan
              @themiamiute

Eagle, are you going to the game or watching from Eagle Mountain? I’ve got tickets to three games this season but not this one.

EagleMountainUte
                Ute Fan
                @battlegroundute

I will not be attending. Hopefully in chat. See how it goes. Work has been nuts for me lately.

The Miami Ute
                  Ute Fan
                  @themiamiute

Well, I’ll see you in the chat then. Hope it’s fun as in other times…

2008 National Champ
          Ute Fan
          @cptmrgn05

Since Rising is a single read QB, Barnes is in pretty good company

Charlie Foxtrot
      Ute Fan
      @charliefoxtrot

Well, I am crossing my fingers and hoping that Barnes makes me eat every single negative thing I have ever said about him in the past. If he shows up and leads us to victory I will gladly eat crow. On the other hand, if for some reason the offense bogs down under Barnes, I don’t really see any downside to giving some meaningful playing time to Johnson.

Viewing 4 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.